~*Kate*~

brings the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katehart.net
Just saw this in the Twit-o-verse. :(

:Hail:
Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a documentary a couple of times this summer on the development of the electric guitar (on the Documentary Channel), in particular Les Paul and his first guitars.

RIP

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
An incredible guitarist, decades ahead of his time.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Many people don't know that he also pioneered multi-track recording and invented many of the recording effects that became the standard for decades to come. He was the Thomas Edison of music and a true American Tinkerer.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And on the fortieth anniversary of Woodstock.

Peace, man.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goodbye, Les, and thank you from the bottom of my musical soul for everything you gave us; your innovations and the wonderful music you created with your signature instrument.

My favourite guitar is the Fender Stratocaster, but I've had a Gibson Melody Maker for over thirty years; not a Les Paul but obviously a child of Mr. Paul's innovations. The very first guitar I fell in love with was a Les Paul goldtop, played by the guitarist in the band at the first high school dance I went to; also the first band I ever saw live. He became a friend as I became part of the local music scene, and his goldtop was always his main axe. There are only a few guitars in the world that are instantly indentifiable by their sound and the Les Paul is one of them.

Rest easy, Les. You earned it.

Quote:
Pete Townsend of The Who, Steve Howe of Yes, jazz great Al DiMeola and Led Zeppelin's Jimmy Page all made the Gibson Les Paul their trademark six-string.
Yes, I'm nitpicking a bit, but the truth is the truth. Steve Howe is one of the world's great guitar collectors and virtuosos who has probably owned and played every type of guitar ever made; however his trademark guitar was the Gibson ES-175D, an archtop hollowbody electric. This, of course, in no way diminishes the role Les Paul played in the music created by Steve Howe and anyone else who has ever picked up an electric guitar.

Last edited:

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I remember being totally enraptured by the stuff he did with Mary Ford, his wife.