Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the fifth book in the Five Kingdoms series. It was good, and I was happy to see how it all ended. The fourth book in the series is probably my favorite, but I do have to say it's always sad finishing series based around a portal world.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Reading Children of Blood and Bone right now but after going to either read the Ranger's Apprentice series or Seven Wonders (read the first book when it first came out). Anyone read both? Thoughts?

Tchaikovsky

Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly. The language was beautiful, and I love her way of describing things. It really takes the reader back to that post-Civil War era. My only thought is I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as a kid (its target audience). Plot was kind of slow.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
Recently finished The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly. The language was beautiful, and I love her way of describing things. It really takes the reader back to that post-Civil War era. My only thought is I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it as a kid (its target audience). Plot was kind of slow.
FWIW, my daughter loved it a lot (I think she was 13 or 14 when she read it). Of course she wants to major in history, so there's that... but yeah, she thought it was the bee's knees. Loved Laurie Halse Anderson's FEVER 1793 (and CODE NAME: VERITY, if BF is listening :D) as well.

Last edited:

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished the MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY trilogy, which was an absolutely delightful series of surprisingly smart spy thrillers. I love how much the characters develop and grow across the three books. Definitely check these out if you like riddles and fun thrillers that make you think.

Currently reading THE SERPENT'S SECRET, a cool #ownvoices fantasy full of culture and lore. I love this kind of book and I'm very glad to see their numbers swelling recently.

(I also just got a box from Amazon with both Squirrel Girl novelizations. Superhero comics in MG novel form with a strong female lead? Yes please.)

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Chasing Augustus by Kimberly Fusco. Great MG voice IMO, especially her cussing (constantly calling her grandpa - in her head, anyway - hilarious names like clay-brained boar-pig). Very touching story of a young girl with more problems than anyone deserves.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
I got both of the SQUIRREL GIRL novels and started them. They are just as glorious as I thought they would be. Definitely entertaining. If you (or your kids) have even the slightest interest in comic books you should pick these up. They're amazing.

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
I got both of the SQUIRREL GIRL novels and started them. They are just as glorious as I thought they would be. Definitely entertaining. If you (or your kids) have even the slightest interest in comic books you should pick these up. They're amazing.

Have you read Flora and Ulysses?

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Had a hard time deciding if I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade by Diane Lee Wilson is MG or YA, tips more towards middle grade. In any case, it's awesome. A girl in the days of the Mongol Empire is kidnapped by soldiers, decides to pose as a boy to protect her horse, and ends up winning the big race girls aren't suppossed to compete in. Well-researched and immersed in the culture and scenery of the setting, you never feel like an outsider looking in. Plus, it's evocative, fun, exciting, spare, touching, and you learn a hell of a lot!

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just read Nevermoor. Enjoyed it. Reminded me of Harry Potter a bit in tone and and such. One thing that I'm taking for my own writing going forward, is there were parts where I just didn't feel any real dread that something might go wrong. Without spoiling too much, there are trials that happen and I didn't once feel like there was a part she could fail or the story would go down another road basically.

Still enjoyed it, and really easy read. Will follow the series.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Recently re-read One Crazy Summer - I think the author's name is Williams-Garcia but can't remember for sure. Great read about late 1960's. Three sisters growing up in NYC are sent to spend the summer in Alabama (again, I think) with the mother that left them when the youngest was newly born. She's involved with the Black Panthers.

Then I read Elijah of Buxton by Christopher Paul Curtis. I've read some of his other books and I just thoroughly enjoy his writing style. The vernacular he uses just gives me a feeling of comfort based on my own childhood. Plus he tells remarkable stories.

And my son FINALLY found a series that weaved a spell around him. The Mickey Bolitar series from Harlan Coben. (again, I think that's the spelling. I'm so bad about that). He insisted I read them and I found them great for older MG or younger YA.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Cogheart, which was a pretty cool idea, but I wasn't completely into the execution (and some of the twists were made too obvious, probably even for people in the right age-range).

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Just got done with both ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME and THE SERPENT'S SECRET, so a Hindu mythology fantasy double-whammy. Both are absolutely amazing and enlightening books. It's fun to hear about the beliefs of other cultures from people who grew up with them. Also ARU SHAH draws inspiration from Sailor Moon so I mean c'mon that's just awesome.

I've also been reading through as many WARRIORS books as I can get my paws hands on. I've been reading whatever the library happens to have in, so I've been jumping back and forth between the various series, but so far having read a good chunk of the first three series I have to say that the second series (A NEW PROPHECY) is my favorite. It has a lot more of that heroic quest structure that I'm used to as a fantasy fan. I can see why these books are so addicting, though I can also see some of the issues folks have with them (my brother (temporarily) banned his son from reading them because he felt they focused far too much on violence and death).

... though now I kind of want the Erin Hunters to do a spinoff where they retell the Japanese Warring States period except all the characters are cats.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Just bought ARU SHAH AND THE END OF TIME about five minutes ago. Excited to read.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
So, just finished Aru Shah and the End of Time. I was pretty excited for it but I really didn't enjoy it. Wasn't big on the characters it felt too much like just jumping from one point to the next because plot. The side-characters that come are only there for so long and it felt like it was trying to be Percy Jackson too much. The dialogue could also be a bit much to me.

Just wasn't my cup of tea but I bet a bunch of others probably/will like it. Might try one of her YA books though and see how that is.

maghranimal

Registered
Reaction score
The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls - worthwhile, and very impressive for debut.

Currently reading Orphan Island. The writing is wonderful.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
My granddaughter - reluctant reader - and I just finished reading Bob, by Wendy Mass and Rebecca Stead. We absolutely loved it, although she said the ending was quite sad. Normally I have to struggle to keep her interested for one chapter. This book was irresistible and she kept begging for more. I hoped it would be a good read because I always enjoy Stead's books. It totally lived up to my expectations.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished 'A daffodil for Angie'. Love historical fiction. This one is set in the 1960's.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Was reading Adventurers Wanted: Slathbog's Gold but after 25% in I stopped. Just couldn't get into it. Seemed to familiar to me. Currently trying Elizabeth's Legacy (Royal Institute of Magic, Book 1) and about 10% in. Too early to tell but liking it so far.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished ARU SHAU and I rather enjoyed it. May not be the most memorable one I've read lately, but a good read.

Now I'm in the middle of Endling the Last by Katherine Applegate, and it IS one that I will remember. Love the characters and the concept.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like I'm the only one that didn't like Aru lol. I wanted to SOOOO badly

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through Elizabeth's Legacy. I like it but I think after this one I'm going to just do Upper MG Fantasy (no portal stories) for a while. I like portal stories but I'm getting a bit tired from the same structure so many of them follow. I've just read too many of them at this point so I need some distance.

GeneBWell

Registered
Reaction score
Finally getting around to reading the PERCY JACKSON series. It's good. I can see how it got so popular. Also excited to order A HINT OF HYDRA, sequel to A DASH OF DRAGON which was one of my absolute favorite new releases last year.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Reading The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane with my granddaughter. She likes it, but not as much as she loved Bob.

And just finished The Problim Children by Natalie Lloyd. I realize there is a sequel, but this ended too abruptly for my tastes. The characters are quite interesting, and I like where it's going, but I wanted a little more resolution.