IF YOU WISH TO PREVAIL

THIS IVORY LEG IS WHAT PROPELS ME
HARPOONS THRUST IN THE SKY
AIM DIRECTLY AT HIS CROOKED BROW
AND LOOK HIM STRAIGHT IN THE EYE

WHITE. WHALE. HOLY. GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL

pqc8p.jpg

..ahem

Moby Dick is a book written by Herman Melville. Unpopular when first published, it is now recognised as being one of the (or possibly the) best novels written in the 19th century. I don't think any other book gets the spirit of America across as well as Moby Dick. That at all out war with nature the pioneers fought during the years of westward expansion.

It is about obsession and hubris. The monomaniacal Captain Ahab stakes everything on a suicidal chase for Moby Dick, the great white whale. Ahab is a brilliantly lit character, in himself a prophetic image of the dictators of the 20th century and the cult of personality. Ahab's real life cousins include Hitler and Stalin. He subverts the will of the crew of the Pequod for his own murderous obsession, and the men are merely tools to be used to kill the whale.

It is an idiosyncratic book. Part encyclopedia of the Sperm Whale, part adventure story, part metaphysical speculation. Sometimes it wanders into the realms of theology and psychology. A lot of people dislike this strange structure.

It must be understood as Melville's attempt to create the Whale. Naturally, despite the hundreds of pages describing the whale, he fails and it remains a shadowy, unknowable thing. Shrouded in mystery despite every aspect of its physicality categorised and described. Ishmael himself acknowledges that it is impossible to create a true likeness of anything.

The Pequod becomes the world, filled with a crew from all places. Dagoo, Tashtego and Queequeg, African, Indian and Polynesian harponneers. Stubbs and Starbuck from Nantucket, sailors from Manchester and Lisbon and every other place on the planet. They become a macrocosm of humanity cast adrift on unforgiving seas with Leviathan all about.

It is one of the few books that is more relevant to us now than it ever was when first written. And in much more than a simple ecological sense (although if either Melville or Ishmael were alive today they would be part of the save the whales movement). It remains one of the most profound statements of mans relationship with the universe ever written.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Well this is just tragic.

melville_pic.jpg

Look at him, spinning in his grave.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
He doesn't appear to be spinning...

Right I can't be bothered making him spin (360 images? No thanks)

Instead I give you Melville as he no doubt wanted to be remembered.

Note the spouting whales in the background.

extortionist

the obscure
Registered
Reaction score
posting in appreciation of moby dick

I'd say more but I'm pretty sure I don't have words that can do justice to the book's greatness.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Me too. A true american epic. When you compare it to some of melville's other writings you kind of wonder where it all came from.

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Me too. A true american epic. When you compare it to some of melville's other writings you kind of wonder where it all came from.

I think it came from him locking himself in his room for too long, a really poetic monster and an unconquerable desire to get in Nathaniel Hawthorne's pants. Seriously, read the letters Melville sent him the guy was essentially a stalker.

bhke9l.jpg

SHE BLOWS! SHE BLOWS!

Has anyone watched the 1956 version of Moby Dick with Gregory Peck and Orson Wells in? Apparently its the only adaptation of the plot that has kept the plot (and more importantly the ending) of the book. It looks pretty awesome, I'm going to try to get a copy of it. And Gregory Peck is fiiiiiine, despite being old enough to be my grandad, and dead.

Deleted member 42

I think it came from him locking himself in his room for too long, a really poetic monster and an unconquerable desire to get in Nathaniel Hawthorne's pants. Seriously, read the letters Melville sent him the guy was essentially a stalker..

Reductio ad absurdum

Kurtz

Fix up, look sharp.
Registered
Reaction score
Reductio ad absurdum

Okay, perhaps he wasn't sexually attracted to Hawthorne (although he was supposed to be quite the dandy, better looking than Byron by all accounts), but the deep infatuation Melville had with Hawthorne's mind was one of the key events that turned Moby Dick from a romantic propoganda piece for the Whaling Fleets into the unique beastie it eventually became. The isolation that Melville felt and subjected himself to whilst writing it was no doubt a major cause as well. There is a little bit of Ahab in him, chasing his own White Whale.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I finished reading Moby-Dick a few days ago. It took me five weeks, but it was worth it! So many unforgettable characters, so many "trippy" scenes, so much wisdom...I was blown away.

This was actually my fifth or sixth attempt to read this book -- tried to read it when I was a teenager and got nowhere, and never made it past the first 100 pages on several tries during my 20s and 30s. I'm glad I decided to give it another go, because it was an amazing reading experience.

P.S. Now I know where the Starbucks coffee company got its name! :ROFL:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I spent the better part of a semester reading Moby Dick. Only got one or two breakthroughs in understanding, but I think I'll have to read it a few more times to grok it.

Vito

Recalled to life
Registered
Reaction score
I spent the better part of a semester reading Moby Dick. Only got one or two breakthroughs in understanding, but I think I'll have to read it a few more times to grok it.

I took a few breaks from Moby-Dick along the way and read four novellas (The Barracks Thief by Tobias Wolff, Cinderella Liberty by Darryl Ponicsan, That Was Then, This Is Now by S.E. Hinton, and Erich Segal's Love Story) and a short nonfiction book about the Vietnam War. All of those books were easy reading, and they actually helped me deal with Ahab, Moby, Fedallah and the rest of 'em. :Thumbs: