• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Upstart Crow Literary

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
I've been trying to research this on the internet, but am running into a lot of blind alleys. Does anyone know what the exact connection is between Upstart Crow and The Inkhouse? Other than Ted Malawer and Michael Stearns.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I've been trying to research this on the internet, but am running into a lot of blind alleys. Does anyone know what the exact connection is between Upstart Crow and The Inkhouse? Other than Ted Malawer and Michael Stearns.

Not sure what you mean-- that IS the connection. It's my undersatnding that Ted and Michael focus primarily on their work at Inkhouse, however they are founding agents of Upstart Crow and maintain their clients they've signed, but aren't open to submissions.

I've met both Michael and Alexandra in person, and spoken with Chris on the phone, and I think the world of this agency. Very reputable.

Last edited:

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I'd seen some good deals made by Inkhouse in Publishers Marketplace, but wasn't able to find out how Inkhouse either gets submissions or selects the authors it works with. As far as I can tell, Inkhouse doesn't have an entry on this forum. All I had to work with was the Upstart Crow connection. You're right that the agency has a very good reputation.

MandyHubbard

Once Upon a Time....
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MandyHubbard.com
I'd seen some good deals made by Inkhouse in Publishers Marketplace, but wasn't able to find out how Inkhouse either gets submissions or selects the authors it works with. As far as I can tell, Inkhouse doesn't have an entry on this forum. All I had to work with was the Upstart Crow connection. You're right that the agency has a very good reputation.

It's likely a word-of-mouth/agent referral sort of thing. I have contacts at Alloy, for instance, and have had authors audition with them. Many packagers don't do open calls for submissions becuase of how many responses they'd get. They instead call or email a few people they know.

Jeff Sampson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffsampsonbooks.com

I write for Inkhouse and Michael is also my agent. It is indeed a referral system. (In my case Michael was my agent first and then I needled him until he let me audition for a series.) You might be able to approach them through an agent if you have some prior experience writing novels under deadline. I can vouch that Michael & Ted are great guys who are absolutely wonderful to work with.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I write for Inkhouse and Michael is also my agent. It is indeed a referral system. (In my case Michael was my agent first and then I needled him until he let me audition for a series.) You might be able to approach them through an agent if you have some prior experience writing novels under deadline. I can vouch that Michael & Ted are great guys who are absolutely wonderful to work with.

Thanks! Very useful information. (And now there will be a search result here for Inkhouse!)

sandolita

Registered
Reaction score
FYI, Danielle Chiotti is closing to queries for the summer, starting June 1.
(source)

I just saw that going through old twitter stream. The Upstart Crow website she is open though. I suppose twitter is more accurate???? (never thought I'd say that!)

NDZone

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Alexandra in early May, only to receive an auto reply she is on maternity leave and is deleting queries until she returns. The letter says to monitor the site and twitter accounts, but for the life of me I can't find info for when she plans to reopen.

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
I just saw that going through old twitter stream. The Upstart Crow website she is open though. I suppose twitter is more accurate???? (never thought I'd say that!)

In this case, it is. :)

I've spoken to Danielle on the phone since I linked that tweet, and she confirmed that she is indeed closed to queries/new submissions right now. She has yet to announce a specific date of when she will reopen, but has said this is "for the summer", so I assume that means through August at the very least.

But she may open sooner (or later). I'd suggest keeping an eye on her Twitter account for updates.
For anyone who needs the link: https://twitter.com/daniellechiotti

Last edited:

JSchoffstall

Registered
Reaction score
Nothing in a year?

PSA: Danielle Chiotti is now open. A recent tweet: "Despite rumors to the contrary, my query lines are open, writers. Query away!"

Feuilleton

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is a no-response agency? I checked their FAQ but they didn't say

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
I once received a rejection from Danielle. This was a year or so ago. Don't know if the policy has changed. I do remember it was quite a long wait, though, and I'd already taken it as a "no" in any case.