What are you reading right now?

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
I did like the series. (looking around to see if anyone is looking ;)) But the first book was sooo slow at the beginning. I kept putting it down and it took me a while to get through.

Her writing was okay. There were things I saw her do that we're warned not to do, but whatever. It worked. Everyone has their own style. I was more into the story itself.

I'm inexperienced. I figure I gotta start somewhere. It's like the constant "want someone with experience" in the job listings. Hello!! I gotta get experience somewhere and I can't if everyone wants someone who already has experience. ;) Even though I come highly qualified. Not.

Oh I'm with you there, I liked the 3rd book the best, it started to get really good. I did the exact same thing. I dont know how many times I put the first book down. I swear I was rereading every sentence.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm inexperience too, and we all have to start somewhere...I don't know I think it's because the first book was written so long ago and when I got to book four, it didn't seem like her writing was any better, if you know what I mean...

What do you write wsknable?

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
Marked-the first of 5 in The House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast. Yes it's vamp/wiccan-like. 6th comes out in October.

Manuscript Makeover --Elizabeth Lyons--I just read it

Oooooooh, I am going to the book store today and looking for that!!:)

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Oh I'm with you there, I liked the 3rd book the best, it started to get really good. I did the exact same thing. I dont know how many times I put the first book down. I swear I was rereading every sentence.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm inexperience too, and we all have to start somewhere...I don't know I think it's because the first book was written so long ago and when I got to book four, it didn't seem like her writing was any better, if you know what I mean...

What do you write wsknable?

I write YA paranormal/romance. I swing on over the the horror boards once in while. I mean, their suspence and creepy stuff is cool and I want to infuse a little of that into my WIP.

I really started to get pissed at Bella. I thought she was a figgin idiot for even thinking about anyone else. I'd have hunted his arse down when he left in New Moon. But I'm just stalkie like that. ;)

Hope on over the the YA board. it's a party in the old peeps thread.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Killing Jesus by Bill O'Reilly and Martin Duggar. The authors are Roman Catholics who present a history of "the young revolutionary who was executed by the Romans." I don't agree with that description of Christ, nor their saying he was 36 when he died, but my internet pastor said it was a fascinating read.

bleep

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Visit from the Goon Squad, by Jennifer Egan, and really liked it. Tried reading it before but I gave it up after a couple chapters, and I don't remember why. I think I found it uneven, and I might have been frustrated that each chapter starts with a different character in a different time, but this time I stuck with it (after my wife picked it up randomly and then recommended it to me) and I really dug it.

Hm, why? I think I appreciated it as a "literary" work that was nonetheless relatively straightforward and accessible. As if "literary" works need to be tricky and inaccessible? I don't know. But it's experimental, in that it's built up of related fragments, and it doesn't have a plot to speak of, yet it builds to something by the end of the book. I think I'm going to try Manhattan Beach next, why not.

I'm also in the middle of reading 2666, by Roberto Bolano, but I'm on page 86 (out of 898) and it's boring me to tears. I'll probably give up on it. But I was initially bored by some of my favorite books (like To the Lighthouse and Gravity's Rainbow) and I put them down several times before I eventually "got" them, so I often have hope for books I initially find boring. Also I loved Bolano's Savage Detectives, so that adds to my feeling of hope for 2666. The only book that I could never read, after trying multiple times, and probably never will, is Finnegans Wake. Probably Moby Dick goes in that category as well. Although I think I only tried that once, so that doesn't really count.

Taylor Harbin

Power to the pen!
Registered
Reaction score
I’m reading “It’s time to tell” by George LeBrun, NYC’s medical examiners from 1897 to the 1930s. Very interesting story and full of detail about a bygone age. There are so many cases he recounts they could easily be turned into murder mysteries with just a few tweaks, I am surprised it is not being mind by writers already.

Pallandozi

Registered
Reaction score
The books I currently have on the go are:

"Accepting the Lance" by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller
"Ascend Online" by Luke Chmilenko
"The Three Musketeers" by Alexandre Dumas
"The Broken Throne" by Christopher Nuttall
"Please don't tell my parents you believe her" by Richard Roberts

thomasdown92

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently reading Animal Farm. I was doing some research about rise of totalitarianism across the world for a new story, and I came across Animal Farm. I can't believe I've never read it before. The political allegory is fascinating.

mr_frugal

Registered
Reaction score
I started to read Samuel Pepy's Diary. It's an interesting look at the history of London. But it also fits in with the WFH schedule. I used to read on the train and have struggled with a new routine. A diary is something you can jump in and out of a bit easier.

Animad345

Registered
Reaction score
The Secret Life of Bees, Sue Monk Kidd.

Sinuka

Queer Bavarian Metal Potato ~ NTMY
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Lea. Love your energy! :)

I am reading 'Crime and Punishment' by Fjodor Dostojewski at the moment.
It plays in Saint Petersburg in 1860. The poor law-student Raskolnikow is really confused by the big changes of his time and after overhearing a conversation about a rich and spiteful lady he plans a murder.

The writing reminds me a little of 'Catcher in the Rye' which I really liked.
It is also very fascinating. The place and time are displayed really accurately since the author lived in the same time and place himself. He wanted to show the big influence of the intellectual changes for the young generation.

I hope you might find it interesting. It is one of the big Russian classics.

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous. (Ocean Vuong) The early pages have been captivating.