What are you reading right now?

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm Lea *waves* Nice to meet you all! I'm bored at work so I thought I would create this board.

So...What are you all reading right now?

I'm reading "Night World" by L.J. Smith. ( It's good, different then the normal vamp book. I've just started, so can't tell you much yet. lol, It's about a teenage girl who finds out she has pancreas cancer and is dying, her best friend is a vamp, and he tells her his secret..and, ok, I will stop there. :)

Loved to know what you're reading and what it's about and if it's worth it.

Chat with you soon.

Lea :)

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
You can also check out the thread that's in the Book section of the main forum. Just scroll down, it's somewhere above Office Party =)

I'm reading Jane Eyre right now. Rereading it.

Oops did I miss that thread...This site is so big and has so much stuff.

Should I try and get this thread moved...Sorry!

Jane Eyre, what is that about?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the Chronicles of Froissart. He was involved in the Hundred Year War and uses first-hand sources for any action he wasn't involved in himself. I'm using Google-Earth to look at the towns mentioned as the English forces, under Edward II and the Black Prince, advance from the coast inland. It's interesting stuff (I think so anyway (and why should I get a life, anyway?)).

In one place he says the English had ten thousand archers. Each archer used the English longbow (so called, of course, because it was invented by the Welsh) and could shoot ten arrows a minute to about 220 metres. Each arrow had goose feather flights and the sound was awesome. They said the enemy 'heard the call of the grey goose' as the arrows whistled down.

So, with ten thousand archers, the enemy could be receiving one hundred thousand arrows EVERY MINUTE. WOW!

Anyway, as you might have gathered, I'm enjoying the chronicles (I seldom read fiction - I only write it).

Chauchat Butterfly

~*~root beer floatz~*~
Registered
Reaction score
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy: 2/3 of the way through; trying to finish it so I can start on Infinte Jest already. I missed out on Infinite Summer because I had (and still have) too much on my plate.

The Good War, Studs Terkel: Oral accounts of WWII. Pretty entertaining, very informative.

The Varieties of Religious Experience, William James: A series of lectures given in Scotland at the turn of the last century in which James tries to explain religious phenomena using psycological means. On hiatus, but that desn't mean I don't like it.

A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow: Quantum mechanics for babies. I'm reading it because I'm a baby when it comes to quantum mechanics.

Invisible Man, Ralph Ellison: Not to be confused with The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. I can't give an opinion on it because I just started it.

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm Lea *waves* Nice to meet you all! I'm bored at work so I thought I would create this board.

So...What are you all reading right now?

I'm reading "Night World" by L.J. Smith. :)

Yes. Me too. I've already flew through "Secret Vampire" so I'll be nice and keep my mouth shut. :)

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I'm reading a giant pile of UF stuff. Currently I'm on the Mortal Instruments series, after that it will be Marked, then Vampire Academy (not sure about that one), The Thirteen Treasures, Gifted, and Bloodchild.

Also reading Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, re-reading Pride and Prejudice, and last night I cracked open my Complete Works of Shakespeare, because I re-watched Romeo and Juliet and fell in love with his language all over again.

A couple of days ago I ordered seven books on the craft of writing and editing, so I'll be reading those in the next week. Currently reading Revision and Self-Editing and re-reading How Not to Write a Novel.

I'm reading a few other people's first and second drafts, because I'm betaing -- and in roughly three minutes, I will be reading today's paper. :)

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a giant pile of UF stuff. Currently I'm on the Mortal Instruments series, after that it will be Marked, then Vampire Academy (not sure about that one), The Thirteen Treasures, Gifted, and Bloodchild.

. :)

Is Mortal Instruments good? And you HAVE to read Vampire Academy!! forth book comes out next month. Third book is totally awesome--I threw it up against the wall at the end. Srsly.

We LLOOVVE Jensen. Oh yes.

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Is Mortal Instruments good? And you HAVE to read Vampire Academy!! forth book comes out next month. Third book is totally awesome--I threw it up against the wall at the end. Srsly.

We LLOOVVE Jensen. Oh yes.

I'm not rating the Mortal Instruments series at the moment. But then, I'm only halfway through the first book. I bought all three at once because it's a bestseller and people recommend it all over the place and... I don't know. It's not grabbing me yet. I think it's because of the main character -- I'm not her biggest fan. But we'll see.

And I will definitely read Vampire Academy -- I'm just not sure if it's really my 'thing' at the moment, judging by the blurb. I'm sure it'll be fab, though. :)

Everyone loves Jensen Ackles! It's the law. :D

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
And I will definitely read Vampire Academy -- I'm just not sure if it's really my 'thing' at the moment, judging by the blurb. I'm sure it'll be fab, though. :)

Everyone loves Jensen Ackles! It's the law. :D

Rose is kicka** and it has lots of sexual tension, hot guys, and one on one girl kicking guys butts all over the place. The whole series is like this and that's all I can say without spoiling it for you.;)

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
Oops did I miss that thread...This site is so big and has so much stuff.

Should I try and get this thread moved...Sorry!

Jane Eyre, what is that about?

Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Bronte... it was written a long time ago. It's about a girl who is kind of poor and plain, and then she has a hard life and then goes and becomes a governess at this huge huge and meets the master of that household who has sardonic laugh/tragedy written all over him... and they fall in love but some barrier comes between their love.

It's considered one of the classics. :)

spamwarrior

rewriting.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
acurrentundersea.wordpress.com
Rose is kicka** and it has lots of sexual tension, hot guys, and one on one girl kicking guys butts all over the place. The whole series is like this and that's all I can say without spoiling it for you.;)

And just for the info, I lOVED Vampire Academy. I was sick of vampire novels after Twilight, but Vampire Academy.... AWESOMENESS.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yup this should be over in the already established What Are YOu Reading Thread.

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Yup this should be over in the already established What Are YOu Reading Thread.

Yes.

This thread should have been named "What are you reading VAMPIRE right now?" :)

"if you post it--they will come"

Last edited:

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Me too. I've already flew through "Secret Vampire" so I'll be nice and keep my mouth shut. :)

Ooh, and do you like it? It definitely had a different twist, I thought. I'm on Daughters of Darkness right now...

I like how she has all these seperate stories for all these characters, and how they, kind of, come together at the end.

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score

Oh that sounds intriguing...Who's the author?

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
Yes.

This thread should have been named "What are you reading VAMPIRE right now?" :)

"if you post it--they will come"

I'm sorry I should have looked harder, I swear I couldn't find another thread!

Yes, I should have named this thread " What are you reading VAMPIRE right now?" :ROFL:

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, and do you like it? It definitely had a different twist, I thought. I'm on Daughters of Darkness right now...

I like how she has all these seperate stories for all these characters, and how they, kind of, come together at the end.

It was good. but written in 1997 so not barrelling full steam ahead like the newer YA

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score

Also reading Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, re-reading Pride and Prejudice, and last night I cracked open my Complete Works of Shakespeare, because I re-watched Romeo and Juliet and fell in love with his language all over again.

A couple of days ago I ordered seven books on the craft of writing and editing, so I'll be reading those in the next week. Currently reading Revision and Self-Editing and re-reading How Not to Write a Novel.

I'm reading a few other people's first and second drafts, because I'm betaing -- and in roughly three minutes, I will be reading today's paper. :)

"Marked?" Is that a Vampire one as well?? The title alone makes me want to get off my butt and go look for it, lol.

I need to go look into buying those books about writing as well. I hear they are great tools!

All those books sound very interesting. You will have to let me know how all of them are.:)

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading the Chronicles of Froissart. He was involved in the Hundred Year War and uses first-hand sources for any action he wasn't involved in himself. I'm using Google-Earth to look at the towns mentioned as the English forces, under Edward II and the Black Prince, advance from the coast inland. It's interesting stuff (I think so anyway (and why should I get a life, anyway?)).
Aah, sounds like a very long read? I'm not a fan of war, I can barely watch it let alone read it, haha.

In one place he says the English had ten thousand archers. Each archer used the English longbow (so called, of course, because it was invented by the Welsh) and could shoot ten arrows a minute to about 220 metres. Each arrow had goose feather flights and the sound was awesome. They said the enemy 'heard the call of the grey goose' as the arrows whistled down.

So, with ten thousand archers, the enemy could be receiving one hundred thousand arrows EVERY MINUTE. WOW!

Anyway, as you might have gathered, I'm enjoying the chronicles (I seldom read fiction - I only write it).

Yes I can tell!:) What do you write?

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that sounds intriguing...Who's the author?

Richelle Mead--She writes adult vamp books too. Succubus Blues. or I think they're vamp--mine haven'r arrived in the mail yet

Last edited:

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
"Marked?" Is that a Vampire one as well?? The title alone makes me want to get off my butt and go look for it, lol.

I need to go look into buying those books about writing as well. I hear they are great tools!

All those books sound very interesting. You will have to let me know how all of them are.:)

Marked-the first of 5 in The House of Night series by PC and Kristin Cast. Yes it's vamp/wiccan-like. 6th comes out in October.

Manuscript Makeover --Elizabeth Lyons--I just read it

Last edited:

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
A Briefer History of Time, Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow: Quantum mechanics for babies. I'm reading it because I'm a baby when it comes to quantum mechanics.

Haha, I'm a baby to that as well. You seem to have alot on your plate, you'll have to let me know how they all turn out!

DivaLeanne

Registered
Reaction score
It was good. but written in 1997 so not barrelling full steam ahead like the newer YA

Yeah I feel that way too...I'm sure your opinion will be the same as mine on this topic. What did you think of Twilight??

I read it, all 4 books, and I have no idea why. Maybe because I thought her writing would get better and the characters would get better, but they didn't. I really wanted to strangle Bella, lol.

I thought the series could have been written better. She seemed very inexperienced.

Tiz_Mee

iz bossy . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I feel that way too...I'm sure your opinion will be the same as mine on this topic. What did you think of Twilight??

I read it, all 4 books, and I have no idea why. Maybe because I thought her writing would get better and the characters would get better, but they didn't. I really wanted to strangle Bella, lol.

I thought the series could have been written better. She seemed very inexperienced.

I did like the series. (looking around to see if anyone is looking ;)) But the first book was sooo slow at the beginning. I kept putting it down and it took me a while to get through.

Her writing was okay. There were things I saw her do that we're warned not to do, but whatever. It worked. Everyone has their own style. I was more into the story itself.

I'm inexperienced. I figure I gotta start somewhere. It's like the constant "want someone with experience" in the job listings. Hello!! I gotta get experience somewhere and I can't if everyone wants someone who already has experience. ;) Even though I come highly qualified. Not.