• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Kensington Publishing Corp. / Citadel / Pinnacle

Albannach

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on their preferred length, etc? Their guidelines don't give a hint. Having one novel in edit, I thought I'd try my hand at a romance so I'm doing a little research on romance publishers.

And anyone know which imprint is historical? Going through their catalog I don't see any. I

Thanks for any information.

Last edited:

Donna Pudick

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've been looking at their covers on the website. They appear to be a bit steamy.

Last edited:

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Anyone have any info on their preferred length, etc? Their guidelines don't give a hint. Having one novel in edit, I thought I'd try my hand at a romance so I'm doing a little research on romance publishers.

And anyone know which imprint is historical? Going through their catalog I don't see any. I

Not sure, but I've read several Kensington books. I would guess their finished WC's to be somewhere between 80-100k, with bigger name authors allowed a bit more (120k)

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com

Not sure if this will help you, but my first ms with them was accepted at 84K. It's an urban fantasy, though, not romance/historical. Part of the Zebra line.

Fmate66

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email query to Megan Records on the 6th December and got a request for a partial on the 11th.

Fmate66

Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Looked like I killed the conversation lol. I hope someone pops in though to help me with a question. If someone asks for a partial, do they always respond, even if its just with a rejection?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Fmate. There is no "always" but usually you will receive an actual follow-up (positive or negative) for a materials request. But keep in mind that the last month that your materials have been out, many publishers have been actually or essentially closed. You may not hear anything for a while...

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
I've read about this publisher online and they are legitimate. But it bothers me that they aren't coming up in search here on AW. My book is nonfiction, and it says that they acquired Citadel Press to handle non. Does anyone here have any experience with them?

Thank you for any help. It's most appreciated.

They asked for my full after reading my partial, eventually they told me to go with my agent and they "looked forward to his proposal." Before this they told me they liked my writing, my candor and the idea of the book.

Still waiting for a response, subbed Dec. 8th.

Last edited:

Fmate66

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Kellian. I realised kinda late in the day that December wasn't a good month to start subbing!

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Well for me, a while has been since July. (It's my second set of revisions on the same manuscript.)

Both other times the response has arrived at about the six month point.

Basically you should be prepared for a long wait. (but they're not nearly as long as some others...)

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
Did they acknowledge your email and did you talk to them at all before the agent or during the agent or is this the first communication?

I'm just curious for my own sake.

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
After your agent emailed them the most recent time did they give him any response at all?

Was your agent's email to them your first contact with them for this MS.. Or have they read partials or anything before from you?

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I would be so happy if I knew what "awhile" meant! It could be days, weeks or months while editors catch up with reading. December submissions and queries seem to face extra wait time because there is extra slush from Nano and less work time because of the holidays.

honoluluwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Peter Senftleben with Kensington just requested my full and a detailed synopsis. Anyone have any experience with Peter or any new or additional information they are willing to share about Kensington?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I had lunch with an editor from Kensington on Nov 3rd, and haven't heard a word. I signed with an agent since then, who followed up, and still no response. Jason has another editor at Kensington who told him that the editor in question loved my ms, and took it to a meeting, and was given a no.

I wanted to be angry about it because he swore I'd hear from him soon. But Jason said "That's just the way some people in this business are"

I accept it for what it was. A thrill, a shot at being published, and a free meal.

So, "A while" can be never.

Last edited:

Chironicus

Registered
Reaction score
Peter Senftleben with Kensington just requested my full and a detailed synopsis. Anyone have any experience with Peter or any new or additional information they are willing to share about Kensington?

I don't have new or additional info but I'm curious, did he request the full from a query or a partial? If the latter, what was the time period before the request for the full?

Thanks!

honoluluwriter

Registered
Reaction score
Chironicus -- he requested the full from a query 2 days after I sent it.

Haven't heard anything back yet.

Fmate66

Registered
Reaction score
I would be so happy if I knew what "awhile" meant! It could be days, weeks or months while editors catch up with reading. December submissions and queries seem to face extra wait time because there is extra slush from Nano and less work time because of the holidays.

So I'd be right in assuming two months is too soon to chase on a request for a partial?

AryaT92

Banned
Reaction score
^ Yes, you would be right.

Good luck to you!

ALLOW AT LEAST THREE MONTHS FOR RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT CALL THE KENSINGTON OFFICES.

IF YOU DO NOT HEAR BACK ON YOUR QUERY, IT MEANS THAT WE ARE NOT INTERESTED IN SEEING YOUR MANUSCRIPT.

Last edited: