Not open for further replies.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Heh. Speaking for myself, I ain't on anyone's side. I personally thought they both behaved badly.
Well you know, I still think that's a reasonable position. Arresting Gates was--imo--likely overkill and an emotional response on the part of Crowley. The charges were dropped, after all. But Gates' claims of racism on the officer's part were way over the line. If he's really all that smart, he should have known exactly where saying such things was likely to lead: the back of a squad car. Maybe he did know...

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if I would say Gate's accusation was any more over the line than Crowley arresting Gates. From where I sit, it looks like an emotional, not-thought-through decision on both their parts.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I don't know if I would say Gate's accusation was any more over the line than Crowley arresting Gates. From where I sit, it looks like an emotional, not-thought-through decision on both their parts.
I'm assuming Gates made the accusation--in some fashion or another--first. It's what led to the scene that led to his arrest.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm assuming Gates made the accusation--in some fashion or another--first. It's what led to the scene that led to his arrest.

Yes. But Crowley's reaction to it was also emotional. Confession time: I have a thing for watching those "World's Wildest Police Video" things. In one, a state trooper was being cursed at, screamed at, had the ticket thrown at him, etc., and he barely raised an eyebrow. Just told the guy he'd summons him for littering if he didn't pick up the ticket, and when the the guy did, still screaming abuse at him, the trooper let him go on his way. Never even seemed flustered for a second. Lots of cops take all kinds of verbal abuse and worse from people...they don't all get arrested for it. So, yeah, I think Crowley overreacted, without question.

Why couldn't Gates' response to cops in his front yard, asking/demanding ID from him be an emotional response as well? He didn't know that his neighbors had called the police in the first place, AFAIK, and he was having to break into his own home. So he probably knew when the cops showed up that it looked suspicious to someone, at least. And I'm sure that it pissed him off that someone thought it was suspicious that he was breaking in...that whoever called the cops didn't recognize him as the homeowner. I am sure that he probably made assumptions about the caller at first, too. She just wasn't there to be accused, for one thing (at least in Gates' sight, I don't think), and for another, she didn't have the power to arrest him, either.

I hope that made sense.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Well you know, I still think that's a reasonable position. Arresting Gates was--imo--likely overkill and an emotional response on the part of Crowley. The charges were dropped, after all. But Gates' claims of racism on the officer's part were way over the line. If he's really all that smart, he should have known exactly where saying such things was likely to lead: the back of a squad car. Maybe he did know...

Pretty much agree here.

Yes. But Crowley's reaction to it was also emotional. Confession time: I have a thing for watching those "World's Wildest Police Video" things. In one, a state trooper was being cursed at, screamed at, had the ticket thrown at him, etc., and he barely raised an eyebrow. Just told the guy he'd summons him for littering if he didn't pick up the ticket, and when the the guy did, still screaming abuse at him, the trooper let him go on his way. Never even seemed flustered for a second. Lots of cops take all kinds of verbal abuse and worse from people...they don't all get arrested for it. So, yeah, I think Crowley overreacted, without question.

Being an asshole, prick, son of a bitch, etc is not grounds for an arrest. Those arguing to the contrary are basing 'some' of their argument on emotion.

now, if someone's behavior impedes or prevents an officer from doing a job or if the behavior puts the officer at risk. That is a different story.

My logical standpoint is this. An innocent tax paying citizen should have no cause, whatsoever to fear any and all aspects of his government. Period. As long as no laws are being broken, the citizen should never be arrested regardless of any circumstance.

So, the question is, did Gates break the law? And i'm not talking legal contortionist arguments utilizing some obscure wierd hollywood like twisting of some law. Just common sense fair and straightforward analysis. The answer is no.

Now, was Gates an asshole? Yes. But again, he is a tax paying citizen who is innocent of breaking any law, thus, he has every right to be an asshole.

What about the cop? Well, if he felt slighted, he should have filed his report and then called a friend in the media to spotlight it and show how big of an asshole Gates was. Or, he could have just accepted that he was dealing with an asshole and moved on. But no, he choose to arrest Gates.

Anyways, that's how I see this.

Mel...

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
this is a great point. one thing we have seen throughout this thread is that nighttimer was careful to examine the facts as they came in and withhold judgment.

there was absolutely no implication in his subject title—so carefully couched as a hypothetical—or in his initial analogy to the absurdist potentiality of "barack obama busted for loitering on the white house lawn"

the fact that it might draw readers to the conclusion that it is a transparent comparison of two upstanding black men being persecuted solely on the basis of race is a mere coincidence and, if one looks hard enough, such a perception will probably reveal the racism in oneself. that's how these "teachable moments" sometimes work.

finally, there is absolutely no truth to the speculation that nighttimer is rapidly descending into self-parody.

Haskins, as you really haven't contributed much to the debate except whine for the second or third time (I haven't counted) about the title of it, I'm a loss to figure out what you want to do here except parachute in, take a dump on it, and then scurry off to open your 40th or 50th (I haven't counted) Obama-bashing topic.

Accusations of self-parody from a guy who manufactures quotes by inarticulate hip-hop artists so he can get his phony outrage on really isn't someone whose criticism means much.

Saying that someone is ignorant about something (in this case, police procedures on a suspected breaking and entering scenario) is *not* a personal slur, nighttimer.

Calling someone "ignorant" in a debate is a bit different than saying they are in error or don't have full possession of the facts.

It is a personal attack to belittle another poster by telling them they are not qualified to express their opinion and attack their intelligence.

It IS a personal slur, Cranky.

cranky said:
It may be an incorrect statement, but it's not insulting in and of itself.

That's your opinion. Mine is that it is insulting in and of itself.

cranky said:
Hell, I was ignorant of what the procedure is in a situation like that until POPASMOKE and someone else (I can't recall who, sorry!) filled us in. So apparently, just giving your ID and having your residence verified is *not* the end of the story, from a police standpoint. They have other things they have to check first, otherwise they are being negligent in their duties if they simply accept that and walk out.

Unless POPASMOKE was a police officer employed in the jurisdiction of Cambridge, Mass., I would say his knowledge base is confined to the jurisdiction he was employed in. This one-size-fits-all appeal to authority is not inclusivie of every locality and every possible police/citizen scenario.

Nonsense. These are legitimate issues that must be considered by the officer that responds to a call. If you recall, Gates went to the kitchen and was peeved that the officer followed him "without permission." The officer followed Gates for reasons of safety, both that of Gates and the officer.

Now you're trying to read Crowley's mind. You 're projecting your beliefs upon the situation and rewriting the sequence of events to fit it.

You do not know Crowley followed Gates "for reasons of safety." You might believe that to be the reason, but stating it as it were fact is a total misrepresentation.

I'm not "conjuring" up scenarios. I'm just pointing out that there is more to it--for an officer responding to a break-in call--then an ID check. You don't seem to understand this, hence you are ignorant of this.

Did you or did you not say: It does, however, include verifying that Gates is not breaking a restraining order or the like by being in the home. It does include verifying that Gates is not actually in any danger, that there's not a robber in the next room that told Gates to "get rid of the cop, or else."

There is nothing in Crowley's report about restraining orders, or Gates being in danger or a robber in the next room telling Gates to "get rid of the cop, or else."

That's just you conjuring up scenarios to justify your statement, "the officer was duty-bound to do more."

Assuming facts not in evidence doesn't work for lawyers and it doesn't work any better when you try to manufacture fanciful fantasies to support what isn't supported by the facts.

robeiae said:
Grow up. It's not a slur. It's a very clear statement. And I offered it as a potential. Based on your reply, I think I was correct, with regard to you. You are ignorant of proper police procedures for this kind of situation.

...and you're provided absolutely nothing regarding what are "proper police procedures for this kind of situation." All you've done is pull some silly situations out of thin air and then expect as if that's to be taken as gospel.

What would be "ignorant" would be for me to accept you have the slightest idea of what "proper police procedures" are when you're not a cop or have demonstrated any understanding of law enforcement procedures. You are not an authority on police procedure.

Don't tell me to "grow up" robeiae. You haven't produced one shred of supporting documentation but then want to take offense when you're called on it. That indicates to me it's you that needs to grow up.

robeiae said:
I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence. I'm pointing out something that you obviously DON'T KNOW. Gates? Well, he may or may not be aware of these things. I only suggested that his ignorance on these matters was, again, a potential.

You are insulting my intelligence when you try to point out something that you obviously DON'T KNOW anything about.

Gates' ignorance on these matters may be a potential, but until demonstrated otherwise, your own far surpasses his or mine.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Calling someone "ignorant" in a debate is a bit different than saying they are in error or don't have full possession of the facts.
I did not call you "ignorant." I said that maybe you were ignorant of these things.

That's really the same thing as saying "maybe you were unaware of these things."

It is a personal attack to belittle another poster by telling them they are not qualified to express their opinion and attack their intelligence.
I did no such thing. Clearly, you're looking to derail this by claiming you were insulted. Either that or you are UNAWARE of the proper usage of the word "ignorant" in this context.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website

Why couldn't Gates' response to cops in his front yard, asking/demanding ID from him be an emotional response as well? He didn't know that his neighbors had called the police in the first place, AFAIK, and he was having to break into his own home. So he probably knew when the cops showed up that it looked suspicious to someone, at least. And I'm sure that it pissed him off that someone thought it was suspicious that he was breaking in...that whoever called the cops didn't recognize him as the homeowner. I am sure that he probably made assumptions about the caller at first, too. She just wasn't there to be accused, for one thing (at least in Gates' sight, I don't think), and for another, she didn't have the power to arrest him, either.

I hope that made sense.
It makes sense, but I already said Crowley's response--in arresting Gates--was likely emotional, right? He's a person, too. It would be great if police never responded emotionally, never lost their cool when people tried to push their buttons, but that's a little unrealistic. And again, the charges were dropped.

Still, this shouldn't excuse Gates for precipitating the whole thing, imo. And if he had just let it go, it could be forgotten. But he didn't let it go. HE turned it into circus by making it a racial thing. So, he had a possibly ill-thought out emotional response during the incident, and another one after the fact.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did not call you "ignorant." I said that maybe you were ignorant of these things.

That's really the same thing as saying "maybe you were unaware of these things."

I did no such thing. Clearly, you're looking to derail this by claiming you were insulted. Either that or you are UNAWARE of the proper usage of the word "ignorant" in this context.

Y'know what, robeiae? I'm not going to parse definitions or argue with you about the usage of the word "ignorant."

You're into speculation and imagining things that didn't happen. That's not worth the time and bandwidth to pick apart.

THAT would derail this debate and I'm not going to be a party to it any further.

If you want to be right, you're right. Moving on...

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
NT, forget about it. After seven hundred and eighty something posts, this thread is has descended from the absurd into some confusing abyss. The people in actual question have had a beer. I suggest everybody else do the same and let the whole thing fade away. We weren't there. I'm willing to bet, everybody directly involved is sleeping like a baby with a house full of flowers and all kinds of offers littered on the dining room table.

Forget about it. . . . .

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rob beat me to it, and I prolly shouldn't have stuck my nose into that in the first place, so perhaps I'd better go sit in the corner with my dunce hat now.

Robert Toy

FOB and Slayer of windmills
Registered
Reaction score
What do you think about Tiger Woods win at Buick Open?... by 3 strokes no less

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
*a reasonable facsimile of a grown up appears*

Closing thread. Let's all move on to more relevant topics since this is in a death spiral.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Enough, folks. I really don't want to have to lock the thread.

None of us are here to be comfortable and be told how very, very right we are. And if some of us ARE here for that, they're in the wrong place. There are any number of heavily-biased politics forums and blogs where we can hang out with the like-minded, for self-congratulatory circle-jerking high-fives.

Let's do remain civil, even in our disagreements, please.

ETA: I see RollingThunder beat me to it. 'Nuff said, then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.