Directions London Dominion Theatre to Tavistock Arms Pub

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
I have a current WIP that starts at the time of the Beer Flood in London in 1814 where four streets flooded, three don't appear to exist now and I can’t find them on maps even dated 1818.

The Horse Shoe Brewery was located on the junctionn of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford street, and now the Dominion Theatre occupies part of the site.

My problem is that a pub called Tavistock Arms Pub was located adjacent to the brewery on Great Russell Street. Great Russell Street flooded and although I think I have pinpointed where the other streets were, and I know where the brewery stands on the maps, I can’t picture or find the spot on a map of the exact spot where the Tavistock Arms was related to the brewery, apart from adjacent, which to me isn't clear.

Does anyone have any idear in relation to the brewery in these pictures where the Tavistock Arms was? Because the pub had its wall blown out, I am thinking that it would have to be the building on the other side of the alley on the far right in the first picture, and opposite the Meux Logo - (the horse shoe) on the second, which I assume is that side alley on the fist if that makes sense.

I found a couple of images this one 1830

english-school-meuxs-brewery_-1830.jpg

This one 1896 the Brewery is to the right

tottenhamcourtroad.jpg

Last edited:

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
> Ihave a current WIP that starts at the time of the Beer Flood in London in 1814 where three streets flooded, two no longer exist and I can’t find them on maps even dated 1820

Smaller streets in that area went through a lot of name changes during this period. Are you sure that isn't the case? I see that it was in the St Giles Rookery, which tempts me even more to think of a name change.

It sounds like you need the dead pubs site :)

http://deadpubs.co.uk/LondonPubs1839/1839Pigots-T.shtml

lists its address as 22 Great Russell Street (counting up from the junction with Tottenham Court Road and on the Charing Cross side of Great Russell Street) which is presently Jurys hotel
http://www.hotelstravel.com/Europe/GB/London/JurysGreatRussellStreet.html
http://www.hawksmereltd.co.uk/hawksmere/venue.php?venue=354

It looks like your estimate is right.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lyra - thank you. Do you know the name of that alley which is between the two of them? Or the side street on the left hand side of the brewery in the second picture? I can't get my barings on the map, both old and new don't seem to have that street, it appears to be a block with no street between them, unless that is Great Russell Street? Or is it Charring Cross street? Mmmm., no probably not, as Charring Cross seems further down. :(

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The other three streets that flooded were Banbury-street – New street and George street - Just looked at that street index for 1821 and it doesn't list the streets either

Last edited:

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
>Lyra - thank you. Do you know what the name of that alley which is between the two of them? I can't get my barings on the map.

Just off to bed so I’ll try to visualise it in the morning.

George Street was previously called Dyot Street and may be on your maps under that name.

[FONT=&quot]More tomorrow…[/FONT]

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Wow, seriously? This is where your beer flood happened? I was right around that area while I was in London. I went to the British Museum a bunch and that's where all most of my classes were held. Weird!

Sorry not to be of service, just adding my random two cents.

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
At an earlier stage, George Street was known as Dyot Street
(http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=45209)
One old map gives it as “Dyet” Street
(http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/stowpages/gilesfields01.html and
http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/stanfordpages/finsbury07b.html ) The names appears to have reverted and it’s now called Dyot Street.

Banbury street

The reference to Banbury Street appears to originate from the Times report http://tiny.cc/KOZYf of the incident. However, the National Archives show that the Meux brewery gave its address as Bainbridge Street http://tiny.cc/kjMPC, which still exists. I only found one other reference to a Banbury St in St Giles. They’d be pronounced almost identically so perhaps they are the same? (I also saw the address given as “Bunbury” St).

New Street

That one took a while :) It ran parallel to Bainbridge Street – see map
http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/horwoodpages/horwood11101.html which shows George Street as “Diot” Street.

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
" "The Rookery," was a triangular space bounded by Bainbridge, George, and High Streets; it was one dense mass of houses, through which curved narrow tortuous lanes, from which again diverged close courts—one great mass, as if the houses had orginally been one block of stone, eaten by slugs into numberless small chambers and connecting passages. The lanes were thronged with loiterers; and stagnant gutters, and piles of garbage and filth infested the air. In the windows, wisps of straw, old hats, and lumps of bed-tick or brown paper, alternated with shivered panes of broken glass, the walls were the colour of bleached soot, and doors fell from their hinges and worm-eaten posts. Many of the windows announced, "Lodgings at 3d. a night," where the wild wanderers from town to town held their nightly revels." (Timbs' Curiosities of London (1867), p. 378.)"
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=74297

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Lyra, thankyou.

On this map, is the brewerey on the left or right hand side? It appears it should be on the right, but then there is no alley way, which oooollll, so close but struggle with maps....it could be Banbury street that is between the brewery?

http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/horwoodpages/horwood11101.html

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ah, I'd give you big sloppy kiss if I was that way inclined....I love this map. It has the streets...I finally know where my MC lived...but is it Bainbridge betweent the two...please answer soon, so I can go off for the night, completely satisifed that gee, I never thought I would be able to see the exact spot. :)

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Lyra - I just wanted to add that you've come up with a tremendous amount of information for Cooee. I was going to try to help out last night but when I got back on-line you'd already started and were way ahead of me. Thank you for taking the time and providing her with a tremendous amount of information. My hat's off to you (and you're getting a rep point from me too.) Puma

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Ahhh, excuse my excitement, but I can see it. How exciting, for me - I see exactly how it happened and where it flooded... :D

You are brilliant, and worth a million pints, should I know what a pint is...

:Hug2: Lyra

If you should need a favour...send me PM - I like doing crits, honest crits :)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Puma you are so right...I looked, and have been for a couple months, and my maps were 1818 and nope, none of those streets were on them....but that last map, below, allows me to clearly see what happened, and I am terribly excited, and indebeted to Lyra

I honestly thought I would never get my berrings on this....so thank you again.

http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/horwood...wood11101.html

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
This map http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/stowpages/gilesfields01.html makes it look as if the brewery covered the whole of that area.

By between the two, I guess you mean the unamed street off Bainbridge that joins New Street? This could be Banbury Street - although as it's given as Meux's address, I still think Banbury may be a misname for Bainbridge.
You can do some more map searching here
http://www.oldlondonmaps.com/19thclondon.html

I'm confusing myself now :) off for a nice cup of tea, I'll look further if I have a spare moment.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lyra it's fine now...I see on that last map you gave me that they have to be the streets, The Times may have misprinted, or those who have quoted the times have....netherless, I have what I need, so there is no need to spend no more time on it... I believe it must be a form of Bainbridge - the spelling is unimportant because don't intend to use the name, but I needed to get my berrings of what and where everything was, and that last map has done...thank you again.

Enjoy your tea. :)

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
You know, I think I got too excited, although all the streets are there...it is still not clear what the name of the street is between the brewery and the pub in that first image, or the street that the second image where logo is runs parellel to.... In all the maps it is just a block, but in the images there is clearly a street there.... I don't understand what I am missing? :Shrug:

Last edited:

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
Great. This was quite relaxing for me btw, I like doing this sort of stuff - and it helps that I know the area well. And I know from experience how frustrating it is when streets seem to vanish from existence. I'll happily accept a few pints sometime though :)

Puma - Honestly didn't take me long - I've had oodles of practice at this sort of stuff. But thank you for my point - I guess that's like a gold star?

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
> I don't understand what I am missing?

Hmmm...don't know at this moment. When I get a few spare minutes in the next day or two, I'll attack it again. It will irritate me beyond belief if it isn't resolved.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Okay, it appears that the street on either side of the brewery has to be either Great Russell or Bainbridge, and I think if I can understand which steet it is out the two that is in that first picture, because the maps are all muddled up in my mind and make no sense I will have a complete clear picture.

I need to go to bed....thanks again.

Last edited:

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The second map you gave Lyra makes sense why they are saying it is adjacent, especially cause it would mean they had to be side by side, so I am thinking there is a little bit of leeway to play with here...netherless, it would be great to know if it Great Russell or Bainbridge that is the street in those two pictures dividing the brewery from the pub.

Gee, I am completely confused now...because I didn't think it could be Brainbridge a few moments ago...sleep, sleep, sleep, does wonders I hear :D

Last edited:

Lyra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimfarnell.co.uk
In the second picture, are you sure that's the brewery and not pub? If it's the brewery, then that's the view down Tottenham Court Road. If it's the pub opposite, then that's a view down Great Russell Street towards the British Museum. Whatever, Great Russell Street divides the brewery from the pub based on the brewery being on the site of the present Dominion theatre. I wish I could draw you a picture here...

The first picture looks like it's a view from Tottenham Court Road. Down the side to the right is Great Russell Street and the pub would face out onto that.

Bainbridge Street would not have been such a thoroughfare.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Lyra - Since you're a newcomer and your comment about the rep point makes me think you don't know about them ... posters can give rep (reputation) points to other posters for excellent responses or going beyond the call. To give a rep point - there are three icons at the bottom left in every post block - the middle one is a scale - if you click on that it allows you to give a rep point and make a comment (you can also give negative points but that almost never happens). You can see whether you've gotten rep points and the comments made by going to the very top of the main AW screen when it first comes up. In the blue-ish line there are items like User CP, Private Messages - if you click on User CP it will bring up your rep points.

Everyone has a reputation based on how many rep points they've received. You can see what they are (but not the number of points) by putting your cursor below the post count below the avatar in the upper left part of the post box. Everyone starts out on a "distinguished road" and ends with "so great we've run out of appropriate comments" and there are quite a few stages in between. There's a thread up in the FAQ's forum that tells what all the levels are and how many points each one represents.

Over in Historical Share Your Work, almost all of us give a rep point to anyone who reads and makes a comment on our posts for crits and comments. Hope that info helps - and by the way - welcome to AW and historical. Puma