Changes to RITA Awards Eligibility Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aileen Harkwood

Paranormal Suspense Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard about a Hot Sheet circulating at the RWA nationals about new changes to the contest rules for the RITAs. It looks like the rules might have also changed a bit for the Golden Hearts, but I don't have a copy of the old rules so I can't be certain.

Bottom line:

A) It appears that eBooks published by a non-Vanity/non-Subsidized publisher will be eligible for the RITAs in 2010.

B) Newer writers who are ePublished only and want to enter the Golden Hearts will still be out of luck if their eBooks have been 20K words or longer. Since the minimum length for entering the Golden Hearts is 40K, that leaves a segment of eBook writers in limbo.

I found the post about this on Romancing the Blog. Alternatively, I've added a post with the exact wording for the changes on my own blog as a back up (see link in my signature line).

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
A) It appears that eBooks published by a non-Vanity/non-Subsidized publisher will be eligible for the RITAs in 2010.
From what I understand on this one, ebooks can be entered, but the entry date is a month after the entry date for RWA "approved" publishers. (Call it what they want, they have a list, they're approved).

I have no doubt in my mind that all of the RITA spots will be filled in that month before ebooks can be sent.

It's lip service, nothing more.

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
From what I understand on this one, ebooks can be entered, but the entry date is a month after the entry date for RWA "approved" publishers. (Call it what they want, they have a list, they're approved).

I have no doubt in my mind that all of the RITA spots will be filled in that month before ebooks can be sent.

It's lip service, nothing more.

But after a while, wouldn't publishers like Samhain, Red Rose, and Ellora's Cave, etc. end up on the "approved" list? Or do they restart the approved list each year?

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
But after a while, wouldn't publishers like Samhain, Red Rose, and Ellora's Cave, etc. end up on the "approved" list? Or do they restart the approved list each year?
Right now a publisher has to offer a $1K advance to be "approved". No epub is willing to do that. It's not part of their business model.

They will never meet the criteria.

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
Right now a publisher has to offer a $1K advance to be "approved". No epub is willing to do that. It's not part of their business model.

They will never meet the criteria.

Too bad, it sounded to me as if they were working toward a compromise.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Too bad, it sounded to me as if they were working toward a compromise.
Try following #agm09 on Twitter.

Posted by Louisa Edwards:
Pershing came out & said members who get advance of $1000 or more get first crack at RITAs b/c that's what BOD feels authors deserve. #agm09

there's also:
#rwafail #agm #rwa09 and #rwachange

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Last I checked (ages ago, I admit), Ellora's Cave, Red Sage, Medallion and other epubs were "approved". Stunning to think that they're suddenly not. I remember all the hoopla when EC got the approval.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Last I checked (ages ago, I admit), Ellora's Cave, Red Sage, Medallion and other epubs were "approved". Stunning to think that they're suddenly not. I remember all the hoopla when EC got the approval.
They're not. That's why execs at Samhain and EC weren't able to present workshops at the conference this year. They're not publishers according to the RWA.

They did however hold the "Rogue Digital Publishing Workshop" somewhere else in the hotel. Unofficial. And Samhain also hosted a meet and greet in one of the editor's hotel rooms since they couldn't as part of the conference.

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
Guys, I hate to sound like an idiot, but how do I get #agm09 on twitter? Is the hash mark for texting through a cell phone? I've never been interested in joining twitter, but just did so, and watched the help video, but all it showed was how to search for a twitter(-er?) by name. No hash marks.

Is there someway to find this group using my laptop?

Thanks!

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
afaik, you have to be signed in to twitter. just put it in the search box and all the posts will come up.

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Got them. I think.

Also on another blog, someone pointed out that the ePublished authors would still have to provide perfect bound copies of their books in order to qualify. What a pain!

Last edited:

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
RWA took two steps forward but one step back with this Rita contest change. Yes, it means epubbed can enter Rita. But there is a big BUT... And that's what bothers me.

People with "approved" publishers may enter first. Then, and only then, IF the slots aren't filled, POD and epubs may send in their entries. They're also grandfathering in entries that were excluded this year, so next year's contest will have a glut of entries. Despite how much it would have meant to me to enter Rita, I doubt I'll even bother. :rant:

I don't feel insulted by this change, per se. But I do feel as if my membership in this professional organization isn't valued or appreciated. I will stay in RWA because I am an officer in my local chapter and active in several online chapters. But it took a lot of willpower to make myself hit that send button with my credit card number to renew my membership a few days ago.

As always, JMHO... Season to taste...

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
RWA is not a professional organization. It's not a regulatory body, there are no requirements (educational or professional) to join.

It's a group. More than a club, but not a professional organization. Compare it to professional organizations like the ones that doctors, engineers, nurses, and lawyers belong to. You dont' need an education or experience in the field. It doesn't offer membership benefits like group insurance plans or legal assistance. Big difference.

shameless

Superlative Type A
Registered
Reaction score
West of somewhere and a click south of nowhere
Website
www.sandy-james.com
RWA is not a professional organization. It's not a regulatory body, there are no requirements (educational or professional) to join.

It's a group. More than a club, but not a professional organization.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that point. I view it as a professional organization and doubt you'll be able to budge me -- or several others -- on that point.

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
That's okay. I know a lot of people disagree with me on this point. I won't try to budge you if you won't try to convince me to join. :)

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
In theory, RWA is a professional organization. In reality, however... well... club mentality certainly seems to rule.

Anyone surprised by the changes hasn't been paying enough attention, or is too new to the party. Epublishing and epublished authors are second class citizens, not real authors, not real publishers, etc. etc. etc. It's boring by now, really.

I'd bet almost anything that, if EC and Samhain and Loose Id did start offering $1k advances, RWA would find some other way to keep them out of the club. They did it when those same publishers met the old eligibility standards, and they will do it again. I'd eat my flipflop if they didn't.

Remember, epublished authors, RWA thinks you are wannabes, you aren't career-focused, and you aren't really published. Just check out the whole Deidre Knight/Diane Pershing exchange, or any of Pershing's columns regarding the topic in the RWR. There's hardly any doubt where epublishing and its authors fall in the ultimate scheme of things...

Last edited:

jennontheisland

Registered
Reaction score
Just put up a poll about this:

"If RWA Gave eBook Authors Rights, Opportunities, and Privileges Equal to Those for Print Authors, Would You Join?

It's in the sidebar. The poll can be answered by RWA members and non-members, but I'm hoping that some non-members will weigh in on this question.
I voted that I wouldn't join.

I don't live anywhere near a local chapter. I get all the same info that comes in the newsletter online. Almost all of their workshops and contests can be entered by non-members for a few bucks more. The chance that I'll ever be able to afford the conference is slim to none, and you don't even have to be a memeber to do that.

If they offered things that other "professional" organizations offered, such as group member discounts on car/home/health insurance, legal assistance with reviewing contracts, or lobbying of industry bigwigs (NY publishers) for better contract terms etc I might consider it.

Last edited:

Aileen Harkwood

Registered
Reaction score
I voted that I wouldn't join.

If they offered things that other "professional" organizations offered, such as group member discounts on car/home/health insurance, legal assistance with reviewing contracts, or lobbying of industry bigwigs (NY publishers) for better contract terms etc I might consider it.

I'm with you on the wishing they offered more. My mother belonged to RWA years ago, and she'd always thought that they had group insurance.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought they had group insurance too. I remember getting the forms and calling to check it out when I was underemployed. Then I got a steady job and didn't follow up on it.

That was the late 1990's, early 2000's though. Times change.

Status
Not open for further replies.