• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Starting sentences with "He" or "She"

Status
Not open for further replies.

mesh138

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I'm very conscious of is starting my sentences with "He" or "She." I feel like I do it too much. Not usually a problem in short stories, but a few chapters into a novel I start doing it. I've read into the middle of other novels to see how other authors have handled it. They start sentences off with "He" or "She," but not every single one. Am I just being sensitive to something, or does anyone have advice on getting away from the "He" and "She"?

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Sure. There are lots of ways to handle it. First, I presume that "he" and "she" have names, right? Here are a couple of ways to handle the issue:

Here's the issue:
"He went to the store to buy bread and, while there, also purchased ice."

Here are three possible solutions:

"Bob went to the store to buy bread and, while there, also purchased ice."

"The ice was probably going to be a bag of water by the time he got home from the store with the bread."

"Just great! Now I have ice, but still no bread. What a wasted trip to the store."

See how easy? The first one relies on using the name, instead of he said, she said. The second proposes the action of the ice melting, and the bread is an afterthought. The third one drops into "deep point of view" by directly relaying Bob's thoughts to the reader (perfectly acceptable in third person). It also makes the original trip to buy bread a springboard for the next scene of going to a second store.

All of the methods relay the same information of the original sentence, but have the ability to advance the plot or advance the character (being annoyed) as well.

Hope that helps! :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.