Strange Cat Question

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See the cat in my current avatar . . . of a cat "painting"? (I don't think it's a Photoshopped image, but I wouldn't swear to it.)

Does anyone know if that's a particular breed of cat? I love the coloring and was just curious if it was common among a particular breed.

In any event, he paints better than Jackson Pollock.

Last edited:

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
It's the front cover of "Why Cats Paint" by Heather Busch and Burton Silver. It's definitely photoshopped, with "paint" in the fur, and some of the fur appears to have been added/extended. In fact, it's possible that all of the long fur was added over a basic orange tabby (so only the ears are the real cat's color).

The caption for the cover identifies the cat as "Orangello," and there's another picture of "Orangello" inside, but the inside picture is your basic orange tabby. Short-hair, not long, and with tiger stripes and ears the same color as the body. So there may be some confusion there, or a different cat was substituted and the text was never changed.

No particular breeds are mentioned.

JD

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. No wonder I couldn't identify what kind of cat it was. It's looked like a muscular cat, with lovely coloring. I'm sorry there isn't a breed like that.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
I thought it was a cream Persian.
creampersian.jpg

I have a Tom cat that hangs around the house thats pretty close to that - 'cept he has socks. Iffin you can catch him - you can have him :p

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a Tom cat that hangs around the house thats pretty close to that - 'cept he has socks. Iffin you can catch him - you can have him :p
Thanks for the offer, but my own Russian Blue would not welcome another cat to the household.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Again, all offers of free cats will have to be taken up with the lady of the household. If you can talk her into sharing the litter box and her twelve different sleeping spots, it's okay with me.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net

Lottie sez: Not as pwetty as me.

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
We currently have a long hair I call Pinkie (big male - he's insulted!). The fur's not really buff, it's more towards the peach/pink side. We also have a calico that's light blue/gray with the pink and white (the two cats showed up about the same time.) We've had several with shorter hair in the same color band over the last 40 years. To me the cat in your picture looks like about the same color we're seeing. Puma

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
By the way, if anyone wants to see my actual cat, just click to see my profile. The picture is of my cat Anna doing what she does best . . . knocking stuff off the table. It's an older photo taken when she was still less than a year old.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Itza

Norwegian Forest Cat

I got 2 like this.

Crazy but SOOO affectionate

Beware! When they grow up they are BIG!

qwerty.jpg

IMG%5D

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Lottie's a Norwegian Forest Cat, too. She "babbles" all the time, like mimicry of human conversation. Weird if you're not expecting it. Also very dextrous with the paws. And hairs! Hairs everywhere! Got to brush the bejaysus out of her every morning with a rubber-prong brush (goes deep, doesn't hurt) otherwise we'd be ankle-deep in silver fur. She's a one-person cat, loves my other half and treats me with utter contempt. Come to think of it, my other half loves the cat and treats me with utter contempt...

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For some reason that cat reminds me of Aslan from Narnia; he look like he has some great wisdom to pass on, if only the human clods would listen and learn.

Beautiful cat, by the way.

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
A Turkish Van is another possibility. And Norwegian Forest Cats, Maine Coons, and Turkish Vans are all talkative, a little loopy, and love water. My Maine Coon used to end up in the bath with me quite often.

I volunteer at a cat sanctuary and it's sometimes funny how ferals/strays can look completely like a purebred. Of course, there's nothing saying that purebreds don't end up as strays or ferals (unfortunately) but many times it just seems like a happy accident that the kittens look like Russian Blues or whatever.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

And a note to whoever might stumbled upon this thread later: I've changed my avatar so the cat in question is no longer the one in my current avatar.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was looking for something in the Writing About Animals thread and happened to comes across this old thread started by me.

I had seen alphallama48's reply when he/she had first posted it. I'm sorry to see that it was their first post, and also their last. If you ever see this post, alpha, come back and say hello. If you're shy, don't worry, we'll take care of you.

ac

Last edited:

normagikatt

Registered
Reaction score
Norwegian Forest Cat

For some reason that cat reminds me of Aslan from Narnia; he look like he has some great wisdom to pass on, if only the human clods would listen and learn.

Beautiful cat, by the way.
This Beautiful Cat is a Uk Gr Ch And a Int Gr Champ and he has lots of wisdom and bundles of love for everyone he meets, Felines included. He is as Beautiful in Nature as in looks to see more of him follow the link.
http://pets.webshots.com/album/562432292OQbfWt