Novel based on Atlantis

Cirse

Registered
Reaction score
I've been kicking ths idea around for quite awhile. I'd use Santorini aka Thera as my model, along with the minoan civilization. I dont really want it to read like high fantasy. I want it to feel like a historical fiction. U guys think there would be any interest in that?

Cirse

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Taliesin by Steve Lawhead at the moment. It begins on Atlantis and then moves to Britain and the Arthur legend. I'm only a few page into the book.

Another example of that type of writing might be the novels of Stephen Pressfield, which are based on ancient Greece and Macedonia.

So, I would say your idea is just fine, you just have to write it well. I do think people who write in this sub-genre sometimes get so involved in the imaginary world they create that they can lose sight of the "story" itself. Does that make sense?

Cirse

Registered
Reaction score
I read, and loved the Taliesen series. Ive read just about everything regarding the arthurian legend I can get my hands on.

The whole imaginary world thing is whats killing me. I just dont know how much is too much. Do I really need to create a set of laws, legal system, etc? I doubt much more that basic knowledge will come up in the story. Its a monarchy, by the way.

And it is divided up into 9 regions, but takes place in only 3, for the most part. Do I really need more that just a working knowledge of the others? I'm going to destroy the whole place, anyway.

I think the plot i have is really good.
its just these other details... lol.

Cirse

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In that case, have you seen the Arthur segment of the In Search of Myths and Heroes documentary by Michael Wood? It's well worth watching if you're interested in that sort of thing.

Cirse

Registered
Reaction score
I saw that on the discovery channel, i believe. It was very good.

Cirse

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Back to your question about the imaginary world of Atlantis . . .

This is an issue not only with your story idea, but also with science fiction and fantasy writers in general. Some readers just love all the details and description of the setting; it adds to their enjoyment of the story. For others, all the details can get in the way.

A casual suggestion: Write your story using only the details and description needed; always keep the "story" at the forefront. Ask yourself as you're writing the story whether any particular descriptions or details actually adds to the storyline, or whether you're adding it because it's enjoyable for you to write down all the things you come up with in your imaginary world. Then, when you get done, if you think more description would flesh out the story, then edit the story to include that.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't looked at or read anything about Atlantis for quite a while, but for a time - years ago - I was very much into archaeology, and - at that time, I didn't look at Atlantis as a mythological place; I viewed it as a submerged city that hadn't yet been identified.

With that line of thought - if I were to write a novel about Atlantis I most certainly would not make it a mythological place. I'd make my best educated guess on where it was located and make the civilization consistent with whatever "mother" culture the Atlanteans were part of. There are/were several possibilities.

Writing such a story as mythological would be about the same in my opinion as writing a story about St. Pierre on Martinique before it was destroyed by Pelee and making it totally mythological. Definitely not something I'd do. Puma

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
I've been kicking ths idea around for quite awhile. I'd use Santorini aka Thera as my model, along with the minoan civilization. I dont really want it to read like high fantasy. I want it to feel like a historical fiction. U guys think there would be any interest in that?

I think there'd definitely be interest. There's been a persistent interest in Atlantis going all the way back to the ancients.

Have you read Jack Whyte's Arthurian novels? If not, I highly recommend them as an example of playing a legend as straight historical fiction.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Following along from what Puma said, one person who was very interested in the Atlantis story was Tolkien. He used to have dreams about a drowning city thought that because the idea of a drowned city was so common in the mythology of distant and disparate Indo-European cultures, it may actually be based on real events. It was where he got the idea for Numenor, and it turns up in a lot of his lesser-known writings.

I think it is a very interesting idea, and I think playing it straight would be a great way to go.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
Not an expert in Atlantean lore by any stretch, but I remembered reading something about much of the Mediterranean once being dry land, and that the loss of Atlantis could be part of the same "Great Flood" narrative attested to in Genesis, Greek myth, and other sources.

A little googling turned up this article, which might be worth following up:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/11/15/1100384498979.html?from=storylhs

Cirse

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the support. I think I may have to go for it. Its the story thats really speaking to me at the moment.

Cirse