I had read before about how there was a cut scene at the end of The Shining. This is the famous "hospital scene" some of you may be aware of. It takes place after the hedge maze chase, following the shot of the frozen Jack. In the scene, (manager) Ullman visits Wendy and Danny in the hospital and has a few words with them. That scene then faded into the tracking shot of the photos on the wall at the very end.

Audiences at test screenings saw the scene, and for the first week of its national release, the scene was intact. By the second weekend Kubrick cut it out, and apparently kept no copies of it.

The only "evidence" of this scene are three Polaroid photos, of which I think were taken at rehearsals, and not the actually shot.

Different people remember how the scene played out, and I found a website that shows different recollections of those who saw it in its initial theatrical run.

Here is that page, with the Polaroids near the top.

Most people remember the basics and agree on the details:

After the shot of Jack frozen in the maze, cut to Ullman moving through a white hallway. The camera back tracks via steadicam keeping Ullman perfectly centered in a medium shot. He's wearing a large, in fact really large, fur coat (brown fur, like a bear), and carrying some ugly dark roses for Wendy. He looks lost, turns a corner or two, and sees a uniformed guard sitting next to an open door. He walks up to the guard and says something like "how's he doing?" and the guard motions him in saying "fine." Danny is in the center of a large room playing with some toys. Ullman enters and says something to him that seemed inappropriate. I don't think Danny answered or even acknowledged Ullman. Then he leaves quickly and heads down the hall into the next room and there's Wendy in a white room, in a white bed, in a white gown. Ullman at first is kind and sympathetic, presenting the flowers to Wendy, who looks worse than ever with matted black stringy hair and wide black eyes in sharp contrast to the bright room.

Ullman says something along the lines of "you'll be fine," and Wendy asks what was found in the hotel. Ullman makes patronizing, and again inappropriate remarks about Wendy imagining the things she saw in the hotel. He implies that the proper thing to do is to keep this talk quiet, so as to not further damage the rep of the hotel. Cut to the tracking shot towards the photos, which was so silent and disconcerting at that point.
That appears to be the most agreed upon version, although some don't remember Ullman speaking to Danny. But actress Shelley Duvall remembers it this way:

The manager visits her, apologizes for what happened, and invites her to live with him. She doesn't say yes or no. Then he goes into the hallway of the hospital, passes in front of Danny, who is playing on the ground with some toys. When he gets near the exit, he stops and says, 'I almost forgot, I have something for you.' And he pulls from his pocket the yellow ball that the twins had thrown at Danny. It bounces twice (we spent a whole day filming so it would bounce the right way), Danny catches it, looks at it, then lifts his eyes towards the hotel manager, stupefied, realizing that throughout the story he was aware of the mystery of the hotel.
Others don't recall this, so I don't know if it's true.

HOWEVER, if it IS true, then at the beginning of the film, it can be assumed that Ullman knew about the hotel being haunted, but was hiding it from Jack. After all, the hospital scene was always part of the script, and therefore Ullman's motivations were present from the very start, but hidden in that opening scene with Jack's interview.

What this says, in effect, is that perhaps Ullman was actually setting up Jack to fail. He knew the hotel was haunted, perhaps he also knew that it sought people who "shined." Perhaps, somehow, he knew ahead of time that Danny was gifted. Maybe he was implanting negative thoughts into Jack by telling him about Grady murdering his family. Maybe he was trying to steer Jack down the same path, so Danny would ultimately be forced to become part of the hotel.

However, the scene was cut and all those motivations were likewise cut from Ullman's character. But knowing this now, perhaps we might view Ullman differently the next time we watch The Shining.

Thoughts?