To not ... not to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
I can't come up with a sentence, but my question is which form is correct. For ex., she doesn't want to make any noise to not wake up the child, or, not to wake up the child. Sure, the sentence could be phrased in many different ways but I'm using it to make my point. To not vs. Not to.

Thank you
Adagio

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much xccorpio.

I couldn't open the link but I managed to access Leo grammar and browsed the site. Very useful, indeed. There's an article about negation in English.

I think in these terms: To teach or Not to teach grammar. We can't say, To teach or To not teach grammar, can we? So I assume Not goes before To.

Ah well ... If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

And again, thank you.
Adagio

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
I can't come up with a sentence, but my question is which form is correct. For ex., or, not to wake up the child. Sure, the sentence could be phrased in many different ways but I'm using it to make my point. To not vs. Not to.

The problem is the double negative, which doesn't work in English - she doesn't want to make any noise to not wake up the child

How about "she doesn't want to make any noise to wake up the child"

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Aha. The Double negative -- Why didn't I think of it before?
Adagio slaps herself.

I always tried to avoid this trap but somehow my mind got muddled when I typed my example in the post.
Here is the form I stumbled upon: She whispered not to wake her mother. I believe it is correct.

Thank you Tsu Dho Nimh

P.S.

Last edited:

bagels

Wannabe Intellectual
Registered
Reaction score
Aha. The Double negative -- Why didn't I think of it before?
Adagio slaps herself.

I always tried to avoid this trap but somehow my mind got muddled when I typed my example in the post.
Here is the form I stumbled upon: She whispered not to wake her mother. I believe it is correct.

Thank you Tsu Dho Nimh

P.S.

That still reads awkward. You can easily write "She whispered to avoid waking her mother" or something similar.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you bagels. Of course, you're right.

Problem is that I've seen this form of negation (not to, to not) in the novels/short stories I read. I even copied a couple of examples in a notebook dedicated to such things, but I forgot the notebook at work and my own examples are awkward.

I'll post a published example as soon as I have one.

Thank you all,
Adagio

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Thank you bagels. Of course, you're right.

Problem is that I've seen this form of negation (not to, to not) in the novels/short stories I read. I even copied a couple of examples in a notebook dedicated to such things, but I forgot the notebook at work and my own examples are awkward.

I'll post a published example as soon as I have one.

Thank you all,
Adagio

Yes, both forms are used sometimes. Usually there is a more elegant construction which I would choose, but in dialogue (or 1st person/close 3rd narration) that's not always appropriate.

She whispered not to wake her mother.

As it stands, that sounds as though it is indirect speech. Someone actually whispered, 'Don't wake my mother.'

If you mean 'she whispered so that her mother wouldn't be woken', then I'd write that as 'She whispered so as not to wake her mother.' But I think it's the kind of construction that is very geographically/educationally variable. You'll need to know your character's voice well enough to know how they would say it.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
If I were your editor, I would correct that to "she whispered so as not to wake her mother" unless you were, as girlyswot points out, in a close 3rd person for which the other construction would be idiomatic. And even then, I'd flag it because it's syntactically ambiguous.

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Girlyswot and IceCreamEmpress, I just read your posts. Very good suggestions from both of you. I'll keep them in mind.

Thank you very much,
Adagio

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score

This is still confusing ... was she the one who whispered, to avoid waking her mother?

Or was she whispering at someone else, telling them to not wake her mother?

Maybe it would be clear in context.

Status
Not open for further replies.