• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

WolfSinger Publications

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Micropress, they seem to be pretty upfront about the fact and don't look like they're trying to overextend themselves. They seem to do both epublishing and print books, how well that works out I'm not sure.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I've worked with Carol Hightshoe via Lorelei Signal and Sorcerous Signals, her two ezines. A few of the anthologies come from the Best of votes for stories and poetry in those two mags.

Anybody thinking of ebooking through a small publisher certainly will have a good experience with Carol. I don't know about sales, but I'm sure Carol would answer any questions anyone might have.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I was solicited for one of their anthologies (I happen to know the particular editor) and turned it down simply because I didn't think i could come up with an appropriate story.

They seem on the up-and-up.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sealeyandrews.wordpress.com
*bump*
Did anyone submit anything to WolfSinger's All About Eve Anthology?
I did and haven't heard anything back. Plus I never got a confirmation originally that it was even received. I probably should have followed up sooner to ask--but I am still so new at this I didn't want to bug them.

It says on their site that it's tentatively scheduled to be released in Nov/Dec 2009. So I figure I would have heard something by now....
I looked on Duotrope and there isn't much info. And WolfSinger Publications have a MySpace page where they say you can keep up with them--but it hasn't been logged into since Jan.????

Anyone know anything?

tlbarrett

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to All About Eve

Hi,

I submitted to All About Eve, back in August. Not sure I even got a response. It has been on my mind. I'm thinking about emailing them to see if I get a response.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
I also submitted to the All About Eve anthology, back in July, and have recieved no response yet. I did get confirmation, though...

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I just went out to their site again today and this is what it said:

Sorry I've been out of touch for a while.
This summer has been a bad one with my mother-in-law's death at the end of June. My uncle's
death in October and a couple of bouts of depression in between.

Things seem to be getting back on track and I will be diving back into the slush pile and working
through it as quickly as possible.

Working on getting Arcane Whispers finished up next week along with Mystic Signals 4.

Working on reviewing the subs for All About Eve should hopefully have the first round completed
by the end of next week.

Again apologies for going dark - I'm back and working on getting caught up as quickly as possible.

We are currently closed to all submissions as I work to get caught up.
So looks like we will hear something soon. Too bad about what's been going on with them though.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, a few updates from my personal experiance & their site.

First, both I and soapdish have recieved replies to our Eve submissions--both acceptances, btw (contrats, soapdish!). Cover art is up, contracts are out, it all looks good.

Second, a somewhat odd experiance I had this morning--apparantly one of my stories, which I had submitted and given up on months ago, was accepted by Sorcerous Signals and appeared on the site in November. I was only aware of this fact when I recieved a link to the writer's free download of the print issue becuase I had a story in it! I'm not unhappy, since I hadn't done anything else with this story (reprint) and because I always love the story art you get with WolfSinger's publications...but it's a bit odd. I don't know if Ms Hightshoe forgot to send the contract to me or if I misplaced the acceptance email in my inbox. I did query about the story at least once. Since I haven't signed a contract, I'm emailing her right now and asking about it.

Lastly, I see WolfSinger's site says they're looking for volunteer slush pile readers. I imagine that'll help keep things more organized when the editor has personal troubles, not to mention it might be a good opportunity for the slush pile readers. I'd volunteer myself if I didn't have a manuscript awaiting review there...

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Few more items that may be of interest:

First, I never did hear back about the story in Sorcerous Signals, though I did query. It's possible that emails were lost in the aether along the way. If it weren't a reprint, I'd query more agressively (as in more often, not in a ruder or more confrontational way), but as it is, I'll let it slide. While odd, the experience wasn't enough to turn me off to Wolfsinger, partly because--

--the novella I had awaiting review there was accepted and will be published in 2011. The contract I signed is pretty much like the sample on their site (75% royalties sounds very high, but it's what was in the contract--something to look out for?). The only thing that might be a red flag is I'm expected to write my own back cover copy. I don't know how usual that is even for small press operations.

Also, while the MySpace page looks pretty much dead their Facebook page has been updated every few days since they started it a few months ago. They seem to be working on expansion right now.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I so appreciate your homework here, MumblingSage. :) I think their MySpace page is abandoned. But it's encouraging to see that they are using FB now, regularly too. I'm just (im)patiently awaiting the release of All About Eve. I really hope your novella deal goes through without any snags. Your mixed experience with WolfSinger has me biting my nails though.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
I have also abandoned MySpace mostly, so I don't see a problem there. I'm friends with Wolfsinger on FB. I also have had more than one story published by Lorelei Signal and Sorcerous Signals. I'm happy to have a relationship with the editor. I hope to continue the relationship in the future.

If people want to be published by only the big names, then don't bother with the small presses. You're setting up a self-fullfilling prophesy. Please leave these quite legit small presses to those of us who appreciate them.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have also abandoned MySpace mostly, so I don't see a problem there. I'm friends with Wolfsinger on FB. I also have had more than one story published by Lorelei Signal and Sorcerous Signals. I'm happy to have a relationship with the editor. I hope to continue the relationship in the future.

If people want to be published by only the big names, then don't bother with the small presses. You're setting up a self-fullfilling prophesy. Please leave these quite legit small presses to those of us who appreciate them.
Yeah, I think lots of people start MySpace/Facebook/Misc. Social Networking sites and abandon them later because it's a lot to keep up on, but I'm glad to see they are using their FB page because their website isn't updated all that often. It's reassuring to hear that you've had good experiences with them. This is my first experience with them, so I'm just along for the ride at this point. :)

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Update

Since I'm talking about it elsewhere, I thought I'd mention WolfSinger Publications accepted a novelette from me [Taking Vengeance] and gave me a contract for publishing it in 2011.

I had published writers in the Northern Colorado Writers check the contract before I signed, and they said it was a decent contract ... even if the advance was a little low. They also said the press had a decent distribution network for an e-publisher.

Now I'm faced with learning how to promote it. For many of you, this is routine ... but maybe I might post here about my progress [if appropriate].

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Since I'm talking about it elsewhere, I thought I'd mention WolfSinger Publications accepted a novelette from me [Taking Vengeance] and gave me a contract for publishing it in 2011.

I had published writers in the Northern Colorado Writers check the contract before I signed, and they said it was a decent contract ... even if the advance was a little low. They also said the press had a decent distribution network for an e-publisher.

Now I'm faced with learning how to promote it. For many of you, this is routine ... but maybe I might post here about my progress [if appropriate].
:hooray: The Grump! I have enjoyed working with WolfSinger. And I am looking forward to doing more with them. The advance is nice, though small, at least it's something. But you are right, promoting it will be the key to making anymore money off the book--something I struggle with as well. For some reason, when I am lucky enough to have something published, I have a tendency of not wanting to talk about in front of anyone. This probably makes me the worst promoter around.

I think you should definitely post here about your progress, both working with WolfSinger and also your strategies for promoting your book. I really should aim to do the same. :)

KaiaSonderby

The Little Aspie That Could
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aerodaydreams.livejournal.com
Hey, I have a question for those who've worked with WolfSinger and particularly The Lorelei Signal.

I had a story accepted for The Lorelei Signal back in December (for the April issue). I signed and sent the contract (which goes to WolfSinger) in December, too, but I haven't heard anything about whether or not they received it.

Should I have? Or does their turnover time just take a while? Does anyone know? I don't want to leave it too long before checking, but I don't want to be paranoid either.

soapdish

writing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
It's not uncommon for them to go for long periods without contact. But they are very nice, I don't think you need to worry about emailing and just checking. Maybe give it another week or so? Your story is already accepted--so I don't think you need to worry about bugging them...it's the contract, I'm pretty sure they'd appreciate you following up on it in case it got lost in the mail. But that is just me :Shrug: MumblingSage has had more, and more recent, experience with them and may have inside info ;) If she's around she'll probably pop in and answer.

And congrats, btw!

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I have a question for those who've worked with WolfSinger and particularly The Lorelei Signal.

I had a story accepted for The Lorelei Signal back in December (for the April issue). I signed and sent the contract (which goes to WolfSinger) in December, too, but I haven't heard anything about whether or not they received it.

Should I have? Or does their turnover time just take a while? Does anyone know? I don't want to leave it too long before checking, but I don't want to be paranoid either.

From my experience with WolfSinger (by the way, I believe we will be on the same TOC in April, yay you and me!), they don't do any follow-up once they've received the contract. Payment and publication have arrived on schedule so far, and the pdf copy of Mystic Signals is emailed as soon as it's put up online. It isn't the most communicative market I've been with, but in my experience it is reliable. It probably won't hurt to check in if you're worried (also, if your story is ever out for a long time you might need to follow up) but I don't think there's anything for you to worry about.

Congrats again on your sale!

KaiaSonderby

The Little Aspie That Could
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aerodaydreams.livejournal.com
I see. Do you know when about payment should arrive? I don't really know.

And thanks! It's the first story I've sold, so I guess I'm kind of twitchy about it. :D

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Hi ... I mentioned I'd update once my novelette was published. As you can see from the cover, it has.

After the big gaps of silence, the piece was released in about the time I'd guessed at. The small advance quickly followed, but I haven't seen any announcements except for my own weak efforts.

Must also say, that Ms Hightshoe was very easy to work with. She changed the font on the cover when I couldn't read the first font chosen. Also, her artist was very easy to work with.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with my book

Well, my novella was published by WolfSinger in print and ebook editions at the end of December, after being accepted in January 2010. I submitted the manuscript there because I'd already had short fiction published in WolfSinger's magazines and anthologies, and I wanted my novella to go to print as well as being released electronically.

Things have gone as I expected, with no unpleasant surprises, although there are long bouts of silence in between communications from the publisher. Since it's a micropress, the editor's personal schedule determines much of the publishing and promotion schedule, and in the end it looks like most WolfSinger authors do most of the promotion themselves. I wrote the back cover blurb myself without help in editing it, and there wasn't much detailed editing before publication (compared to the rigorous editing I've received at larger publishers like Dreamspinner Press and Silver Publishing). Still, the finished product looks clean, with very readable format. My cover art was done on short notice, but I was able to discuss my preferences for it with the artist, who took them into consideration--although it went straight from the artist to the publisher afterwards, without a chance for me to review it. Again, this may be because my book came out in a bit of a rush over the Christmas season.

The advance arrived on publication. As for sales, they've seemed respectable for a micropress-published novella. Many of them have come from friends and family, but I've also gotten a 4-star review on Amazon from a reader I don't know.

I'm still waiting on information about how to recieve an authors' discount and files of the book in some ebook formats to send to reviewers, after sending an email about a week ago. This is longer than I'd expect at a commercial publisher, but again, since it's a micropress I'm not surprised or dismayed. WolfSinger delivers on its end, but its authors also need to be very patient and prepared to communicate and do promotions work themselves.