Just wanted to introduce myself...

djinnlover

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rwalfordtheimaginationshop.blogspot.com
...and say hi to all my fellow scribes/scribblers.

My name is Bob, I'm thirty-five years old, I've been writing for a few years now, and I'm working on my first novel (which is actually my second novel, but the first one I actually think I might have a shot at finishing anytime soon, if that makes sense).

I mainly write thrillers, but I like to stretch genre boundaries whenever possible and really mix things up a bit. The only bad writing is boring writing, in my opinion, and I try my best to make sure I never commit that particular sin.

I am mostly looking for publishing advice, and advice on how to get past my own nagging self-doubts and creative insecurities...but I also like to read what other people are thinking/talking about, because sometimes that lights a spark in my brain and illuminates aspects of my own writing that I may not have noticed before.

Anyway......hi.

Glad to be aboard!

Bob

Jerry B. Flory

under the Milky Way
Registered
Reaction score
As you know, Bob, AW is the best writing site on the net.
Come to share your work and jump in.
Welcome.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Bob. My first published novel was the fifth I wrote. I just knew it was THE ONE. Since the sequel has been published I've returned to the other four and they have now been submitted to my publisher for consideration. So your second one will give you a lotof help with the first one ... if that makes any sense.

And keep reading and editing. Read what is being said to others in SYW (the Share Yiour Work forum). Read the tech-advice forums and rid your work of said bookisms, dialogue-tag adverbs, poor POV and things like that. Then take out all dross.

When you have a really tight story, all of a sudden you'll really like it. Self doubt will drop off. So welcome to AW and best of luck with your book.

Nickie

Not too old to learn
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nickiefleming.com
Hi there, Bob, and welcome to AW. I absolutely love reading thrillers, but - alas - not many do surprise me. Very often I know from the start how the story is going to go. Imo a good thriller author should be able to surprise the readerr, so that you keep guessing until the last page. An example: Harlan Coben. He's my favorite!

Nickie

Caramia

Alliteration Afflicted
Registered
Reaction score
Howdy & welcome! Best of luck to you :)

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW :)

xx

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
5-2.gif

lilyfields

lilyfields
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome from a fairly new newbie,
I too am looking for information and inspiration, and have already found much on this forum. As for the first book, leave it for awhile then read it again. Like a wine resting in the vat, it takes time to mature, and you'll be surprised how much better it looks after your second tasting.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. Hope you enjoy your stay with us.

How do you like your popcorn?

C.H. Valentino

Wording!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chvalentino.com
...and advice on how to get past my own nagging self-doubts and creative insecurities...but I also like to read what other people are thinking/talking about, because sometimes that lights a spark in my brain and illuminates aspects of my own writing that I may not have noticed before.

Hello, Bob. And Welcome.

No doubt you will find many opinions and advice on this site.

Bring your stuff to Share Your Work if you want some great support and advice. Password is vista.

Enjoy!

CHV