• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

LaunchBooks Literary Agency (David Fugate)

ZeroMan

Registered
Reaction score
He has several sales listed on Publisher's Marketplace, as well as on his own site, so no alarms go off. But I always make it a practice to search a prospective agents name here and little came up under his name.

Now he's asked for a proposal. Anyone have any pertinent info?

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
His blog looks gooood. I've linked to it from mine before now (not sure if that's a recommendation or not!).

nconner

Registered
Reaction score
David Fugate was my agent when he worked at Waterside Productions. He's completely legit, and I enjoyed working with him. LaunchBooks is an appropriate name for the agency he founded, because he really helped to launch the technical/how-to side of my career.

Nancy (Conner) Holzner

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
I have a problem with his site. Literally. Every time I try to look at LaunchBooks, my anti-virus throws up a warning about the site being infected. Anyone else experiencing this?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, and after I went to the site, I ran a virus scan and everything checked out okay.

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Just a follow-up: I queried, received a reply next day from David Fugate. Very nice guy who even went to my website to look over more than mentioned in my query. Although it was ultimately a rejection, he gave me some great advice about blog stats, what numbers draw a publisher's attention, etc. Kind to the nth degree.

penguin girl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I just queried Launchbooks based on Jeff Herman's book which said David allocates 5% to fiction. Not true anymore. I received a nice note from David saying he's focused solely on non-fiction.

Mayusan

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to add to the mix here. I sent a query letter to Launchbooks and received this rejection letter back.

Thanks for contacting me about your work. Unfortunately, I don't think it's quite a fit for me as an agent. However, I would encourage you to contact other agents about your work as often it's just a matter of talking to enough people until you find someone who connects with what you're doing.

And of course, I wish you all the best of success with the book going forward.

Best regards,

--David

it was very friendly, it was positive and it came less than 24 hrs after the query letter. It was nice to hear back from someone in a positive way. One rejection I got was simply "Not for me. - Signed, So n So". or no response at all.

So While I'm bummed the book wasn't for him, at least he did it in a way that didn't make me feel like crap. lol

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Although website hasn't been updated in a while, is still selling steadily.

P.K. Torrens

Saving up for a typewriter
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi team,

This may have been covered before but I couldn't find an answer.

He doesn't have querying specifics on his page. Does anyone know what query package he prefers?

Thanks in advance :)

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com

JRPyleCarter

Registered
Reaction score
Sent in a query letter on 27/6 got a nice form rejection today (1/7). Nice to know that his 1 week turn around is accurate.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
That intrigues me because he was one of my 'reach agents' and while I recall the outcome of most of those 'reach queries,' I don't recall his response to my query. So I checked my spreadsheet.

I queried on February 12 of last year and did not hear back. (At least, I have no record of hearing back, and I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to data and record-keeping.)

I'd assumed he didn't respond to queries; had a "no response means no" policy, but perhaps it simply depends.

Last edited: