Love triangle problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deem

Registered
Reaction score
So I'm in the middle of my YA fantasy and I find myself in a bit of a jam. My female MC is on her way to save the world and she manages to fall in love with two guys. One is the good guy who's been helping her along from the very beginning. The other is the semi-bad guy of the story. He starts out trying to kill her, then falls for her (not as cheesy as it sounds). The bad guy is not at any point going to see the evil of his ways and have a change of heart.

So I'm curious now. Does choosing the bad guy reflect badly on her? Should I just go with the MC and the good guy?

And does anyone know of a book where something similar happens?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It really does depend on how you handle it. I'm not sure it matters so much whether it reflects badly on her as it's almost a cliche that "good girl falls for bad guy while good guy waits patiently on sideline, then at the very end chooses good guy".

You might try to dig deeper into your character's needs and nature. What need do each of these guys possibly fulfill? What are her principals? Could she accept living her life with a guy who's a potential killer? What are her goals in life? How do each of the choices fit into that imaginary future?

Maybe her choice is not choosing at all. She'll let "fate" decide (this at the end) once the world has been saved.

Last edited:

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Don't write something to please others is my advice. People, in real life, make bad decisions and bad choices. I know i've chosen the bad guy over the good guy a fair few times. Your character will let you know which one she wants when it comes down to it. I know that sounds odd, but let your characters answer the question for you.
And personally, I'm so over the good guy getting the good girl.

History_Chick

Registered
Reaction score
I thought girls always went for the bad boys ;)

Anyway, write what you feel you need to. Its your story. What feels right to you? It doesnt matter what you do someone out there is going to be upset the MC didn't end up with Guy X and went with Guy Y.

Deem

Registered
Reaction score
Cool. I was rooting for the bad guy but some feedback made me doubt that it was the right choice.

Maybe someone will turn up for the good guy so he doesn't feel unhappy ;)

Ctairo

Why Isn't IGNORE Available in RL?
Registered
Reaction score
You know, you call him a "semi-bad guy"--which means he's semi-good. Just make sure readers get that. And yes, I can rationalize anything. Why do you ask? :tongue In other words, she's not falling for someone who's pure evil, right? She has to see something in him to pick him over the guy who's boring, I mean, good.

kaitlin008

Seeing newness all the time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kaitlinward.blogspot.com
Choose the one that seems to work the best with her. One will probably feel right, and the other wrong. I am all about bad guys both in writing and in life, but only do it if they work together--lots and lots of books include the girl falling for the bad guy, I actually think good guys often get shoved aside in writing. There's nothing wrong with that at all (and I tend to enjoy that) but don't discount the good guy just because he's good!

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Cool. I was rooting for the bad guy but some feedback made me doubt that it was the right choice.

Maybe someone will turn up for the good guy so he doesn't feel unhappy ;)
I agree with the other advice you have been given about letting your character lead the way. The only thing I would add is that not everyone needs someone in the end. Don't give the good guy a someone just because you feel bad for him.

In other words, please, please don't pull a Twi/Jacob fiasco.
What happened to him was worse than him ending up alone, mute, and without his limbs.

Deem

Registered
Reaction score
You know, you call him a "semi-bad guy"--which means he's semi-good. Just make sure readers get that. And yes, I can rationalize anything. Why do you ask? :tongue In other words, she's not falling for someone who's pure evil, right?

Well, I called him semi-bad because he's actually not the person she has to, um, destroy. He just works for the villain of the story. I wouldn't go so far as to call him pure evil but he certainly likes breaking things and yes, by things I mean people :D

She has to see something in him to pick him over the guy who's boring, I mean, good.

Awesome!

Deem

Registered
Reaction score
In other words, please, please don't pull a Twi/Jacob fiasco.
What happened to him was worse than him ending up alone, mute, and without his limbs.

I'll admit I'm behind in my Twilight reading. I've read till New Moon. Now I'm wondering if I should read the other two or not.... You painted a creepy image... *shudders*

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
I'll admit I'm behind in my Twilight reading. I've read till New Moon. Now I'm wondering if I should read the other two or not.... You painted a creepy image... *shudders*
Well, you can keep reading, but it's just lame what happens. Meyers tried to make that a love triangle, but it was clear from the very start who Bella would end up with. She was so mean to Jacob, though. All that, "I love you, too" crap...uhg. I think Meyers could have done a better job making Bella question...all that undying love seemed so fake somehow.

I'd second all the above and just add that I was having the same problem--am, I guess, since I'm not finished. Except mine was the boy choosing the bad girl. I was worried it would make him seem shallow. I just can't help it if they're made for each other. All I have to do is make sure the reader sees that, too.

Just let the characters choose who they're going to be with. They know what's best. :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You could do what I did and have her fall for two semi-bad guys who start off wanting to kill her ;) Nobody complained about that MC liking either of them, so I think you're safe with just one.

lovesaphira

'Here's my card'
Registered
Reaction score
ooh i was in a very similar position a little while ago. my MC fell for the hero guy and the bad-boy. I was so so so close to getting her with the bad guy in the end because i liked him better. lol. but i changed my mind. more because my bad guy is kind of a player. hehe.
Having said that, if you want your MC to end up with the semi-bad guy then i say go for it. lol. i would read it :D It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you think she would prefer the semi bad-guy that's all that matters.
There are so many stories out there with the girl choosing the good guy *coughs* mine included *coughs* that it would be refreshing to have the change.
It doesn't really matter what anyone else thinks. If you think she would prefer

Angelchamomile

I love AW!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I have the SAME problem. A semi-bad guy and a goodie-two-shoes. I had my MC end up with the bad guy in the end, but in the sequel I'm thinking of killing him:))

Status
Not open for further replies.