Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebuchet

Hurls Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone . . . I’m new here, have been edified by postings all over this site . . . forgive me for spilling my guts, but I hope you all can help me.

I’m working on a series of fantasy novels, have been for years. I keep changing it, so it’s never ready. One of the main reasons for this is my push-pull relationship with God. I want to give my writing to Him. I want my work to be for His glory. But though it does have a Christian theme, the characters in the work have a life of their own, and my emotional/psychological connection to them is tighter than I can explain. Let’s just say it worries me.

Is it idolatry? Or is it a gift that God will take from me to test me? I pray and pray for the faith to yield this up to Him, but my fear of losing these characters from my heart, that he will take the work from me somehow, is paralyzing.

I am afraid God will make me sacrifice it. Ironically, the theme of the work is that true redemption is achieved by letting go, in faith, of the thing you value most. The one thing I can’t seem to do!

[font=&quot][/font]

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oh, wow. Were we separated at birth?

This is the exact message I posted Friday on the Fellowship of Christian Writers board:

You know how God can choose to either give you a little nudge or whack you
upside the head when the nudges don't work?

In my reading and listening this week, I heard over and over about getting rid
of the idols in my life -- anything that puts God second.

I recognized a whack when it hit me. I surrendered my book to God. He's in
control now, not me. It *was* taking precedence over Him.

Praise Him for the infinite care He takes with me!

(I have no idea what will happen with the rewrite now! And that's cool.)

The backstory of this is I spent 20 (yes, 20) years running from God, and what He asked from me, when I stopped to listen, was surrender. So obviously this is an ongoing issue in my stubborn life. :flag:

The best I can offer is: Find some quiet time and take it to Him.

Peace and belssings on your books. I love fantasy!

- the Lily

DrRita

Act One '08
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ritabetti.com
Joseph (Genesis) was given a dream when he was but a lad that his parents and brothers would all bow down and worship him.

Shortly after, his brothers sold him into slavery and told their father he'd been killed by wild beasts.

Joseph, faithful to God, was purchased by a dignitary and worked his way up to "most trusted servant" only to be falsely accused of rape and slammed into prison. Still faithful to God, he served the head jailer and was promoted. Joseph the dreamer became Joseph the dream interpreter and won the favor of the Pharoah's cup bearer. Forgotten again, he sat in the prison for two more years until his time came and he was called to Pharoah's court to interpret one of Pharoah's dreams.

What is the point of this? Sometimes when God gives a dream, a work, a ministry, he also lets it die. He lets it die because until it dies, it isn't Gods, it's ours. Joseph's dream was his and only after all he went through did the dream die and then God gave it back in its full power.

Almost overnight, Joseph went from convict to chancellor. Only God could have done that.

Sometimes our dreams, novels, writing, has to be wrested from our clutching hands before it can become what God wants. We hold on too tightly and refuse to let God have it. He doesn't want us to miss out on the wonderful blessings and successes but unless we are willing to let go, He can't do what needs to be done to make our projects what they need to be. Like a child, we have to release them into the the hands of God. If we keep them in our control, they will never mature and grow into great projects.

Joseph had to be taken from his family early so he could be formed into Pharoah's second in command. It hurt his family at the time, but when it was finished and they were brought to Joseph and all was restored, God not only raised Joseph to the level of ruler, but restored the family and saved Israel.

We need to trust God, as Hannah did with Samuel, to have our "children". It's the only way to go.

trebuchet

Hurls Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
What a blessing it was to wake up this morning to your kind words and thoughtful advice. I do feel reassured and not so alone . . . thanks, folks!

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
Not Idolotry

I think that most writers are gifted with an extraordinary imagination. Don't be concerned that yours takes you to places where others fear to tred. Our God is a creative being and we, made in His image, are creative creatures. Some of us are just a bit more "engaged" in that creativity than others.

While writing my novel, I once picked up the phone to call one of my characters. It wasn't until I realized that I did not know her phone number that it occured to me what I was doing. :Smack: No I'm not crazy - just VERY engaged in my work.

Jehovah-Meqaddeshkem
(The Lord Makes Me Holy)
Exodus 31:1-14

Louise Bergmann DuMont
www.louisedumont.com
www.njcwg.blogspot.com
www.cafemochlight.blogspot.com
Recent Releases: GRACE BY THE CUP: A BREAK FROM THE DAILY GRIND & FAITH-DIPPED CHOCOLATE: RICH ENCOURAGEMENT TO SWEETEN YOUR DAY
Coming Soon... THE STRENGTH OF A WHISPER

Doyle

Registered
Reaction score
Very thoughtful and open question

It is almost always a conflict of priorities for those who truly seek His will above our own. I think of my work, whatever it may be, in terms of how does it make me more usable to His will, plan and purposes. I try to remember that it is all going to burn anyway. Does my work help others to arrive at the gates of heaven? perhaps even in ways I can not forsee? The only things of true value are the souls of others, especially those who do not know the Love of God. I know that when I arrive in heaven I will be sorry that I did not pray more.

Status
Not open for further replies.