Disappearing Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
This has happened to me a number of times recently. I reply to a post, nothing untoward seems to happen and yet I find that when I come back to inspect said post, all trace of it has disappeared! Am I the only one or is this a common occurence on this board?! Or will this post also disappear?! BTW - I'm aware that when lots of people are posting at the same time there is a prompt mechanism for post updates.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've never had a problem.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
This has been happening a lot lately. One thread that I started, tried to make me enter a password afterwards to read it. I e-mailed 2 mods about it, and no answer yet. Either they're ignoring me, or they don't care, or didn't get the e-mail.

Deleted member 42

1. You can find a list of your last 500 posts or the last 500 of any member by clicking the hypertext link that's the user name on any post, or by using your own link to your last 500 posts in your CP.

2. Frequently users think they've Posted when they've written a reply and clicked Preview; they "see" the preview and forget that they still need to hit Post.

3. If you PM me or Mac about the "missing" posts we can likely help you, but please check your post history first.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
I deleted a whole lot of my posts once. That made them disappear pretty good. :D

(also, sometimes posts get moved to landfill if they're off-topic in an active thread)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you happen to post at the 'zact same second a thread gets moved or merged, your post can be eaten by the aetherbunny. It'll even show as the most recent post, but there's nothing there.... *spooky sound effect*

Deleted member 42

I deleted a whole lot of my posts once. That made them disappear pretty good. :D

(also, sometimes posts get moved to landfill if they're off-topic in an active thread)

In both cases though, if they're in the first 500 they are still going to be listed with unique identifying numbers.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
It happens to me occasionally, but its a router problem. I think it got dropped, cause its always flipping me and changing my IP.

Do you have a router? because if you have one and a whole lot of posts are missing it might be that.

TOO MUCH SUGAR TODAY!!!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This has been happening a lot lately. One thread that I started, tried to make me enter a password afterwards to read it. I e-mailed 2 mods about it, and no answer yet. Either they're ignoring me, or they don't care, or didn't get the e-mail.
I take exception to this post, the last part anyway. There isn't a single mod here who would "ignore" your concerns, or any who "don't care" about problems members encounter.

That's a low blow you've offered; and I'd venture to guess you have no idea what you're talking about, and even less knowledge of the dedication mods aspire to help run this site as seamlessly as possible.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
On a practical note, I always hit Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C before I preview or submit, so the text in the message editor window is copied to the clipboard. If anything evil happens, e.g. ISP blips, network time-outs, board hiccups, etc. I can always use Ctrl-V to paste the text back into the message editor window.

-Derek

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I totally read this as Invisible Pants and thought, "Ray has invisible pants in addition to chocolate pants now? Why is that a FAQ?"

No, I've never had an issue with posts disappearing and mods have always responded promptly to me.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On a practical note, I always hit Ctrl-A then Ctrl-C before I preview or submit, so the text in the message editor window is copied to the clipboard. If anything evil happens, e.g. ISP blips, network time-outs, board hiccups, etc. I can always use Ctrl-V to paste the text back into the message editor window.

-Derek
Wow. You make it sound like computers have been known to fail from time to time.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I take exception to this post, the last part anyway. There isn't a single mod here who would "ignore" your concerns, or any who "don't care" about problems members encounter.

That's a low blow you've offered; and I'd venture to guess you have no idea what you're talking about, and even less knowledge of the dedication mods aspire to help run this site as seamlessly as possible.

I have to agree with you SK ....... I've had stuff happen and Mods have handled it quite quickly.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score

May I take this opportunity to say that I love, admire and fear mods in equal measure! I'm using wifi so I may have something dodgy happening at my end, and in the meantime I'll take DPatterson's advice and copy stuff before I post whilst I figure it out. It is a bit weird though - last week I was getting a message saying that my posts were too short and had to be a minimum of one character long when they were actually, erm, fairly volumnous. I decided to take that as a hint that maybe I should apply a bit of editing to my own stuff.....

Deleted member 42

It is a bit weird though - last week I was getting a message saying that my posts were too short and had to be a minimum of one character long when they were actually, erm, fairly volumnous. I decided to take that as a hint that maybe I should apply a bit of editing to my own stuff.....

That's typically caused by inadvertently going back to the the Edit / Post screen where you have the quoted text or a blank post form; the javascript that activates when you click the Quote or Reply buttons is re-launched when that screen re-loads.

There are also often double posts from essentially the same sort of navigational error.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I have this awful habit of taking a wrong turn with the mouse and clicking the [Forum jump] Go button before I hit "Post". (I make air-backup copies of my posts a lot too, for that and all the other good reasons.) Other than that, I can't say for sure that any of mine have been eaten. I have seen Very Strange Things happen elsewhere... :D

Deleted member 42

I just want to make sure everyone is aware that I'm not pointing out that these sorts of problems never occur on a Mac.

Because I'm better than that.

[cough]

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
It is a bit weird though - last week I was getting a message saying that my posts were too short and had to be a minimum of one character long ...

I got that message once, but it was because the cat was trying to post while I was away getting a cuppa. She thinks that my laptop is a butt warmer designed just for her.

ReallyRong

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I think I'm taking the first step of a possibly long journey. I'm pretty certain that I'm hitting the right buttons and I have no problems when I enter a fairly quick response like this one. The problems occur if I'm trying to crit someone, and am posting maybe half an hour or so after I originally started, stopped and re-started. Is there some sort of timeout going on at the AW end where the software logic decides that, despite me having gone off to have a shower in the meantime, I'm just not fresh enough?

Deleted member 42

Okay, I think I'm taking the first step of a possibly long journey. I'm pretty certain that I'm hitting the right buttons and I have no problems when I enter a fairly quick response like this one. The problems occur if I'm trying to crit someone, and am posting maybe half an hour or so after I originally started, stopped and re-started. Is there some sort of timeout going on at the AW end where the software logic decides that, despite me having gone off to have a shower in the meantime, I'm just not fresh enough?

Yes; there's a timeout on the server. It's set for longer than that though.

I'd try doing as dpaterson suggests and copying your post before clicking the Post button, or composing a response offline.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I have no problems when I enter a fairly quick response like this one. The problems occur if I'm trying to crit someone, and am posting maybe half an hour or so after I originally started, stopped and re-started. Is there some sort of timeout going on at the AW end where the software logic decides that, despite me having gone off to have a shower in the meantime, I'm just not fresh enough?
Every message board I've visited over the years has this potential time-out problem, not just AW. If I'm writing longer replies, e.g. critiques that take more than a couple of minutes, I copy/paste the text I'm reading into Notepad, insert my comments there, then copy/paste back into a fresh editor window. And then I'll still use Ctrl-A (select all) and Ctrl-C (copy to clipboard) just to be sure.

-Derek

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every message board I've visited over the years has this potential time-out problem, not just AW. If I'm writing longer replies, e.g. critiques that take more than a couple of minutes, I copy/paste the text I'm reading into Notepad, insert my comments there, then copy/paste back into a fresh editor window. And then I'll still use Ctrl-A (select all) and Ctrl-C (copy to clipboard) just to be sure.

-Derek
I sometimes do something similar, if I've got a long post that I've spend more than a minute or two writing (generally a reply to a serious writing question), I'll highlight the text, right click, and copy it. I don't usual paste it anywhere, but the copy will still be in my clipboard. It's really irritating to spend ten or fifteen minutes replying to something only to lose what you've written. I've been known to use a little foul language at that point. ;-)

And it's not always the forum's fault. I have one of those fancy-smancy mouses with more than the usual number of buttons. Heaven help me if I write a long, serious post and then accidentally hit the wrong button. Bye-bye reply, usually.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just want to make sure everyone is aware that I'm not pointing out that these sorts of problems never occur on a Mac.

[cough]
Windows 7 will cure all the problems with a PC! Microsoft says so.

*cough*

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

[cough]
000b3e38

Status
Not open for further replies.