JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
"Retold by" and "School Library Edition"

Don't they just turn your stomach?

Why do The Wind in the Willows and "The Reluctant Dragon" need to be "retold by" someone else? Are Roald Dahl and Robert Lewis Stevenson really such hacks that they need the help of modern writers?

Same goes for "School Library Editions" like the one I found of TWITW in a 99 cent bin. A tiny footnote on the copyright page explains the butchery:

EDITORS' NOTE: This school library edition does not include the chapters Dolce Domum and The Piper at the Gates of Dawn as they interrupt the adventures of Mr. Toad and may not hold the interest of younger readers.

Uh, more likely, the cuts were made to remove the Christian and pagan content in those chapters. I didn't check to see if all the references to firearms and alcoholic beverages had been scrubbed but I wouldn't have been surprised.

My 99 cents were better spent on a candy bar. And what atrocities have YOU found?

Last edited:

Ton Lew Lepsnaci

A WIP
Registered
Reaction score
Guessing you might be located in the states... Europe might be a bit better, aside from Gulliver's travels, but I don't think it was intended as a children's story. Sounds awful ...

Ton.

Newguy1428

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I have no problem with public domain and legal stuff, it resembles the time when stories where part of culture rather than the economy. At the same time, who wants to be a slave to culture rather than a slave to fashion? ...alright, you don't have to be a slave to anything.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Don't they just turn your stomach?

yep. and movies that need to "improve" the story.

what makes them so bad is that they underestimate children's intelligence. As if the generation that gave us TARP and waterboarding has any right to look down its noses at kids.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Funny thing is... as a teacher, I have found that if you lower expectations, than kids will tend to only work to that level. If you raise expectations, then they will work to that level.

I hate the idea of changing stories. I'm a purists. I tend to hate all movies based off books because they hack the book. I don't think we should dumb books down for kids. Instead, let's lift the kids up, talk through the book, and expand their minds in the process.

Every Christmas the local supercenter store has a set of butchered boxed Classics, that feature dumbed down language, prettied up with pictures and I don't even want to know what they've done with the story. Probably Hollywood-ized it with love affairs and car chases.