ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
Relationships between Christians and Jews, mostly what the former have done to the latter, make a complex and often ugly story. Why is that? Need it have been so? I've been reading an interesting essay (in the form of a book review) on the issue. It examines what one of my favorite religious thinkers, the always interesting Saint Augustine, had a lot to say about it. A lot, as it turns out. He wanted reconciliation, and he thought Christians had a warped few of what Judaism was. From the essay:

". . . what went wrong, and how did Augustine attempt to put it right? . . . Christians of the second and third centuries were caught in the grip of a peculiarly late-antique high-mindedness. They strove for the spiritual. Worse than that, they believed strongly in progress. They looked to a bright future, freed from the weight of the past. For them, history was junk. And the worst junk they could imagine was Judaism. Here, they thought, was a religion irreparably locked into the material world. . . . Its worshipers remained locked into the past, through nostalgia for a temple whose destruction by the Romans had declared Judaism as a whole to be passé."

. . . none of this image of Judaism bore any relation to the real thing. It was an image of "rhetorical Jews" generated by anxious debates among Christians about how much of their own bodies they could accept and how much of the weight of the past might be allowed to linger in their own present. High-mindedness, when combined with a heady faith in progress toward better things, is not always the best recipe for tolerance of the ways of others. When Constantine unexpectedly became a Christian in 312, it was this image of a squeaky-clean Christianity, committed to the spiritual and purged of the past, that drew the attention of a crowned revolutionary. The past could be junked. Judaism and paganism alike could be declared, by imperial fiat, to belong to the dust heap of history."

Augustine took a different view of history. The past is always with us and can't be transcended or wished away. This seems a commonplace sort of view to me, but apparently Christians of the time abhorred the deep rootedness in the past they saw in Judaism. Augustine argued against that misperception. Again from the review:

"The history of Israel and of its institutions acquired a new majesty in [Augustine's] reading. They were like a mighty poem that unfolded across the centuries. The lived experience of Jews under the Law might seem mysterious and even alien to human judgment; but what was certain was that the life of the people of Israel had never been either trivial or disgusting, as so many "spiritual" Christians . . . were tempted to believe. Even in the present, Jews should be left alone to practice their ancient faith. Against so many of his contemporaries, 'Augustine insisted that Jews were not a challenge to Christianity but a witness to it.' Jews and Judaism could never be put into the past. In an age in which so much of previous history was being flattened by Christian intolerance, they were to continue to stand out, protected by the aura of their own, God-given past."

Augustine's was the minority viewpoint -- how differently history would have turned out if his had been that of the majority.

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
High-mindedness, when combined with a heady faith in progress toward better things, is not always the best recipe for tolerance of the ways of others
Very wise words for today, when sixty-four flavours of traditionalism are fighting to co-exist with fifty-seven varieties of post- and post-postmodernism. Unfortunately the review was by subscription only so I couldn't read it.

It occurred to me though that since Judaism is much more than religious faith -- it's tribal identity and a way of living -- that can't have sat well with mediaeval idealism. The history of inter-tribal cooperation has been far more about integration than separate co-existence, and has a history of enforcement as much as invitation. The Romans used carrot and stick with the Franks; the various Chinese dynasties did the same with their predecessors (e.g. the treatment of the Hans by the Qins and their successors).

Often when a minority doesn't integrate they're not 'invited' to (like the kanakas used as labour in Australia), or they're the ruling minority and don't want to dilute their political power (like the early Norman conquerors of Britain). It's really rare for a culture to be 'invited' to integrate, and not. But Jewry appears to have resisted a lot of integration pressure in its co-existence with Christian society, and some parts of Jewry still do that today. What makes Jewry unusual in histiry is that while it was a political underclass in Christendom, it was often an economic power -- which seems to me a recipe for both paranoia and prolonged conflict, and indeed we've seen strong examples of that in both Christian and Jewish beliefs.

There are only a few other places where I know this has occurred, but the same sort of paranoia and conflict have arisen in all those cases. The role of Indians in Uganda, and the role of Chinese in Fiji are two cases in point.

I sometimes wonder whether in the longer term, the religious differences (which seem fairly minor to me in a comparative religion sense) aren't just excuses masking political vs economic paranoia. If that were true then maybe even if Augustine had his way, we'd still have had a similar sort of history.

Last edited:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Relationships between Christians and Jews, mostly what the former have done to the latter, make a complex and often ugly story. Why is that? Need it have been so? I've been reading an interesting essay (in the form of a book review) on the issue. It examines what one of my favorite religious thinkers, the always interesting Saint Augustine, had a lot to say about it. A lot, as it turns out. He wanted reconciliation, and he thought Christians had a warped few of what Judaism was.

<snipped>

When Constantine unexpectedly became a Christian in 312, it was this image of a squeaky-clean Christianity, committed to the spiritual and purged of the past, that drew the attention of a crowned revolutionary. The past could be junked. Judaism and paganism alike could be declared, by imperial fiat, to belong to the dust heap of history."[/I]

Augustine took a different view of history. The past is always with us and can't be transcended or wished away. This seems a commonplace sort of view to me, but apparently Christians of the time abhorred the deep rootedness in the past they saw in Judaism. Augustine argued against that misperception. Again from the review:

"The history of Israel and of its institutions acquired a new majesty in [Augustine's] reading. They were like a mighty poem that unfolded across the centuries. The lived experience of Jews under the Law might seem mysterious and even alien to human judgment; but what was certain was that the life of the people of Israel had never been either trivial or disgusting, as so many "spiritual" Christians . . . were tempted to believe. Even in the present, Jews should be left alone to practice their ancient faith. Against so many of his contemporaries, 'Augustine insisted that Jews were not a challenge to Christianity but a witness to it.' Jews and Judaism could never be put into the past. In an age in which so much of previous history was being flattened by Christian intolerance, they were to continue to stand out, protected by the aura of their own, God-given past."

Augustine's was the minority viewpoint -- how differently history would have turned out if his had been that of the majority.

Great thread, CG. I'm also a big fan of Augustine, especially b/c he came at a time when Christianity was sidetracking off into nonessentials, and even heresies, and had departed from so much of its scriptural foundation. (For example, the 'spiritual' vs. 'material' issue you mentioned; even Augustine fell for that for a while, with the concept that the material was evil, and only the spiritual 'good.') What made Augustine's writings so rich was that he returned to the scriptural foundations of the faith. The largest chunk of the New Testament was written by a Jew named Paul, educated by Gamaliel (one of the foremost rabbis of his time). When we read Paul's epistles (particularly Romans) and also the epistle to the Hebrews, the foundational Jewish ties to Christianity are unquestionable. For me as a Christian, the OT is vastly integral to the NT. And I discover new tie-ins every time I read it (like the 7 Jewish Feasts study I'm doing right now).

Last edited:

Ruv Draba

Banned
Reaction score
Great thread, CG. I'm also a big fan of Augustine, especially b/c he came at a time when Christianity was sidetracking off into nonessentials
Some might argue that it still is. :)

I have great respect for Augustine's development of pre-mediaeval morality, and his approach to education. I think he was miles ahead of his era. However, he also said:
St Augustine of Hippo said:
the good Christian should beware of mathematicians, .... the danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.
He was mainly talking about astrologers, but in retrospect when I consider some of my lecturers, it's hard to argue with him over-all.

Status
Not open for further replies.