Magazine/Ezine Submission Question

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I'm not too sure where to ask this question. So, I'm asking it here. On some magazine/ezine guidelines, they indicate that if you don't follow their guidelines completely they will automatically throw out your submission without reading it. I hate that some editors will throw away your story without even notifiying you about it.

My question is if your story gets thrown away for whatever reason then how long should you wait to submit it somewhere else without it being considered a simultaneous submission?

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
uh... isn't it just easier to do it their way and avoid being tossed out?

I usually wait the time specified in their guidelines and then send an email, if I haven't heard back... but usually I get a reply before then, one way or the other.

the guidelines are there to be followed, so might as well do so!

:)

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about if you like make a mistake like setting the margins wrong or something like that without noticing it before submitting it. I always try to do it their way but sometimes I overlook something.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
As long as you've taken a damn good stab at getting the guidelines right, you won't get rejected for that reason. Most mags give an indication of response time. If you hear nothing, query after 3 months.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Guidelines

sthrnwriter said:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about if you like make a mistake like setting the margins wrong or something like that without noticing it before submitting it. I always try to do it their way but sometimes I overlook something.

Editors aren't that picky. When they say follow the guidelines, they really mean don't do anything stupid, such as single space, or type on both sides of the paper, or use a weird font.