• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing A Spin-Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently writing novel #1; but I've had an idea of using one of the characters as a protaganist for a crime series that would be set at an earlier time (early nineties).

I'm getting ahead of myself I know, but is this a turn-off for publishers. It probably won't matter if book 1 fails to sell; but what is it does sell and flops? Would publishers not be so keen?

Lisa Cox

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
You don't need to tell agents/editors about the second novel initially. Concentrate on making the first novel as best it can be, make sure it can definitely stand alone, and get that sold. If it sells well and the agent/editor asks you what you've got in mind for your next book, you can tell them about the spin-off. If the first was a success, they might be pleased you have more of the same available, because there's already an audience for it. On the other hand, they might feel it's best you go for something else. Nothing is certain in this game!

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are definitely getting ahead of yourself.

But - joining you in fantacising - if #1 flops, change the character's name and cross your fingers that #2 is written better than #1.

Better advice? Make sure #1 is perfect and does not flop. :D

Last edited:

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

Just wanted to make sure before I invested time in research. Because I'm a student I write drafts in my holidays because I don't have time during semester. The plan is to complete this draft before September and let it lie over semester. If I do get time I'll do some research.

Thanks again.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are welcome, friend.

And aiming for clarity through simplicity and brevity helps, too.:Hug2: Good luck.

Thanks.

Just wanted to make sure before I invested time in research. Because I'm a student I write drafts in my holidays because I don't have time during semester. The plan is to complete this draft before September and let it lie over semester. If I do get time I'll do some research.

Thanks again.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
You are definitely getting ahead of yourself.

But - joining you in fantacising - if #1 flops, change the character's name and cross your fingers that #2 is written better than #1.

Better advice? Make sure #1 is perfect and does not flop. :D

If the spin off is set earlier and one flops, it could be reason for them to take a second look at one if the spin off is better.

But that's just too much to bank on. Make the first novel as good as you can before seriously pursing the second though.

ccv707

He who asks, "Why?"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If it's in you, just write it. Even if you can't get it published in the foreseeable future, if you make a name for yourself you will have it ready down the line. In any case, write what you have inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.