first time submitting - please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Certain_Entropy

Registered
Reaction score
So, I've been writing mainly for fun and self expression and never really considered publishing my work until recently. I had an amazing oppurtunity to study in England last semester and work one on one with a well known author on a couple of short stories and my writing technique. I've gotten fantastic and postive feedback, so I've decided to test the publishing waters and see what it holds.

So, I'm completely clueless when it comes to this entire publishing thing. Any help would be awesome.

I guess the first thing is, can I submit pieces that I've entered in contests. I have two short stories, both of which have won my University's annual creative writing contest (2 years in a row whoot!). Looking over the stipulations of the contest, nothing was written about recirculating the pieces.

Also, what is involved in a cover letter? Should I mention the pieces won prizes?

Finally, any suggestions on South Asian/diaspora markets or any markets really would be awesome. Right now I'm looking at Kartika Review, which seems to fit my pieces.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks :)

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
You must acquaint yourself with Duotrope. It's pretty easy to use. It lists pretty much every market there is, and you can search by genre, pay, theme, etc. Be warned though, time is condensed there and a projected five minute search turns into an epic two hours exploratory mission. Who knew there were so many markets in the world? :)

As regards competition winners, if they were not actually published you can submit them. Even if they were published, you can submit them as reprints. Duotrope allows you to search for reprint markets.

I would not indicate that the story you are submitting has won a competition, (but maybe others would) but you can allude to the fact that you have won whichever competition under the writing credits section,

Letter can be something like this,

Dear Editor, (actual editor's name)

Please consider my story, "Story Title" (approx. 2000 words) for "Magazine Title."

I have won blah blah writing contest 2008, 2009.

Thank you for your consideration,

Sincerely,

name.

Some markets will think very little of a university writing competition BTW. You may decide to leave it out and let the story stand for itself. Or not. The point is debatable and ultimately, it's up to you.

Cheers. And good luck. :D

heatheringemar

lurking behind that corner..
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ingemarwrites.wordpress.com
Duotrope rocks.

And cover letters should be short, sweet, and professional. The Lady's got it right.

Don't tell the editor much about the story unless they ask you to.

Be particular about reading magazine guidelines, and even more particular about formatting your submission to fit. Editors won't even look at you if you've blatantly disregarded their guidelines -- they just don't have the time.

Good luck! :)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I think you will find all the detail information you need right here in the AW treads. At the bottom of the screen you will see a 'forum Jump'. Press that arrow and you can look for whatever area you might want.

Best wishes and much success.

cathyfreeze

I lost my fever! I need it back!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree to read and strictly follow all submission guidelines. Make sure your contact info is on the manuscript as well as in the body of the cover letter--sometimes those get separated, sometimes they don't.

So it's important, unless the sub guidelines say differently, that your cover letter goes something like (to largely crib from The Lady)

Dear Submission editor's name,

Please consider my previously unpublished story, "Story Title" (approx. 2000 words) for "Magazine Title."

I have won blah blah writing contest 2008, 2009.

Thank you for your consideration,

Sincerely,

name
email addy
snailmail addy

The "previously unpublished" is legal-speak and many editors look for that.

Another thing--look to see if they want you to put "Submission" in the subject line or some such. Ideomancer (for whom i used to slush) accepted several spec genres, and they wanted very much for authors to put *which* genre in the subject line--the distribution editor then sent all horror to me, all scifi to EBear, etc.

cat

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
If the works weren't published, I would include the fact that the particular story won a competition (and list the specific competition)...but only if it was a competition that would be instantly recognized by someone in the industry.

For any of your future works, I would include the fact that you had won those competitions (again, if they're recognized)...

Good luck!

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
The "previously unpublished" is legal-speak and many editors look for that.

They do? Maybe it's genre-related. I submit to SF and erotica publications, and with them, it's considered a given that the story is unpublished otherwise stated. (In which case the editor wants to know where and when the story previously appeared.)

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
They do? Maybe it's genre-related. I submit to SF and erotica publications, and with them, it's considered a given that the story is unpublished otherwise stated. (In which case the editor wants to know where and when the story previously appeared.)
Yeah, that's what i thought too, but i guess including that phrase couldn't hurt.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
It seems pointless to me, so I won't be adding it to mine. Unless, of course, an editor specifies in their guidelines that they want it.
Yeah. I don't think i'll be changing my routine, either.

Of course, as you say, guidelines be the most important thing in this consideration :)

Status
Not open for further replies.