agent turnaround times

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering when would be an alright time to send a followup email to inquire about a requested full MS.

I sent a full MS out to agents about 2 1/2 months ago.

Sorry if this question has already been answered, but I looked and could not find anything.

Danthia

Check first to see if they have stats for this on their website or blog (if they have one). If so, follow whatever they say there.

If not, three to six months is average response time, and traditionally you give them a month or two past that in case they just happened to be busy. You could probably get away with sending a note at the four month mark.

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Okay guys, well there was no listing on their sites, so I guess I will just wait alittle longer. Thanks for the update. I was abit stressed that maybe they had forgot about my MS. But if 3-6 is normal, then all is good.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
How about for requested partials? Say an agent's told you the wait time to hear back may be 12 weeks but you can contact him after 8. Should you give it the full 12 or wait out the full 8?

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Well,

news, news, of course -

GOT AN AGENT FOR MY NOVEL (in SEP 2009 (three offers, took the first one -which turned out to be the best one), and a 'top-flight' NYC agent as well, who reps some major authors . . .

Now onto the long process to find a publisher LOL . . .

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Sophocles! Are you revising or on sub now? What's kind of book do you write?

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
Wow congratulations! 'And now we play the waiting game' ...again!

Sophocles

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Sophocles! Are you revising or on sub now? What's kind of book do you write?

The novel I wrote was a historical I guess (it also has some horror elements (a global conspiracy/thriller part as well), and other things; its a bit of a patchwork of alot of things LOL). It’s out on sub right now. So it’s back to the waiting game LOL!!
Thanks everyone, for the kind words!

Last edited: