Last Game you have played...

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Both Odyssey and Origins were badass. Can't wait for Valhalla. Playing through Black Flag right now, can see what the hubbub is about. Gonna do Rogue and then Unity. I get why the fandom is down it sometimes, but I sure do love that series.

Also playing Stellaris some more and there's something really satisfying about creates a Perfect Humanist Utopia that eats everything. And Ori just got into Ori.
Stellaris was my permagame a while ago, but then in 2018 they brought in a major change to the FTL, the planet menus, and just about everything else, and it left me so confused I've basically not touched it since. I ought to give it another go some time.

I'm up to 90 Skyrim mods and counting, and now side characters are randomly starting to appear sans clothes. (And shut up, it's not one of those mods doing it. I'd rather not see Jarl Balgruuf au naturel, thanks). I think some armor mod is bugged out somewhere up the tree.

Blue Skies

Registered
Reaction score
So God of War (2018) is like the best father-son game ever; showed it to my dad the other day and he's like "yeah, kickass", my gf thinks Dark Souls Remastered is the ultimate mother-daughter, I'm tempted to agree. Our dual-fave is Smash Bros. Ultimate.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Since a certain game service is currently having a massive sale, I've picked up about a dozen or so games in the past week, including Morrowind. Wow, the nostalgia. That starting area, where you inevitably wander off into the shallows and get absolutely slaughtered by the slaughterfish that there while you flail away ineffectually with a dagger that, despite clearly passing through the fish, doesn't actually hit it. Ah, the joys of an RNG hit chance combat system...

Other things of note: Fargoth, that falling mage on the road in the beginning, the hilariously bad walking animations and, though I haven't come across them yet in this new playthrough, cliff racers. Oh, and that even MORE hilariously bad third person camera view. Good times, good times. Revolutionary in its day, especially for me as the first real open-world sandbox game I ever played. Grand Theft Auto 3 followed (and follows now too, since it was so cheap on said game service). Of course, graphical mods update just about everything visually about the game that screams "2002", though I haven't really found anything to improve the animations yet. It currently looks better than a lot of games that came out a decade after.

kinokonoronin

Purveyor of Madness
Registered
Reaction score
I gifted a friend a game and got gifted back a copy of Hades. It's a rogue-lite actioner with fluid, quick-paced combat and pretty considerable build variance. Enjoying it so far.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Reinstalling Stellaris. 1.9 only, as I still think 2.0 and above and its terrible FTL changes are an affront. Damn, the music in this game is so good.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard being a xenophobic pacifist. Noone wants to be my friend (because the xeno filth must not be engaged with), but I can't even launch the most minor little cleansing war, because the factions will be all :( :( :( over it. And now some crusading liberal democrat fungoids have just invaded me. The galaxy is cruel.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard being a xenophobic pacifist. Noone wants to be my friend (because the xeno filth must not be engaged with), but I can't even launch the most minor little cleansing war, because the factions will be all :( :( :( over it. And now some crusading liberal democrat fungoids have just invaded me. The galaxy is cruel.

I finally had to give up on my most perfect ultra-utopia yet because I realized I had let all my planets get hideously overpopulated and got bored with all the forced resettlement I had to do, will probably wait for the next Xbox update before trying again. Still, that one was fun because I successfully absorbed two giant purifier factions and brought Democracy and Michael Bay movies to their homeworlds, got conquered by the Awakened Empire, and then played the endgame event against them to grab everything.

I still have my religious-but-deviant barbarian empire I want to try out, and maybe give a playthrough where I don't just try to eat everyone for freedom. IDK, extremely tempted to try out playing as a God-Emperor of Something Something, but I think my playstyle is always going to be 'Federation with some Unsettling Communist and Neoliberal Zazz'. You Will Enjoy Free Association and Consumer Goods or Be Crushed.

Otherwise, I'm just playing through every Assassin's Creed game, just finished Black Flag (which was awesome) and looking forward to Rogue and then curious to see if I like or hate Unity. Knock out those two and that's all of them, I don't know what's wrong with me but I really like all the AC games (with the exception of three) and tend to forgive the janky way the stories are pasted together and all the fetch-questing pretty easily.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Otherwise, I'm just playing through every Assassin's Creed game, just finished Black Flag (which was awesome) and looking forward to Rogue and then curious to see if I like or hate Unity. Knock out those two and that's all of them, I don't know what's wrong with me but I really like all the AC games (with the exception of three) and tend to forgive the janky way the stories are pasted together and all the fetch-questing pretty easily.

Don't worry, nobody likes 3. Personally, I'm not a fan of the change in the combat system from the Ezio games to three. Combo based? Really? You can slash away all day at a guy and he just. won't. die. Not unless you finish the combo, anyway. And honestly, I would've enjoyed the games so much more if they had just left out the sci fi elements and let the actual gameplay stand on its own.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
So of course the meddling sentient fungus democratic centrists invaded, and nearly overwhelmed me, before I got the ascension perk that quadrupled my naval capacity overnight (weird for a bunch of radial pacifists, but whatever), and managed to beat them back. They offered peace before I could take their first world, and because I am committed to RP I accepted. Didn't stop the fungus, and their new allies the holy crusader eggplant-faced molluscs from next door, from trying it on again the millisecond the peace treaty expired.

I wasn't so peaceful the second time. I'd been filling that capacity non-stop for 10 years, having every spaceport in my empire crap out battleships, and the resulting xeno-pacifist doom fleet (motto: This Hurts Us More Than It Hurts You) took both my enemies TO SCHOOL. LOSING school. I occupied ten mollusc-worlds, humiliated the centrist scum, and on my victory created a buffer state of xeno-pacifists out of the former holy crusaders. The buffer state hates me as much as they do their erstwhile brethren (xenophobes, natch), but they also share my ethos of non-violence. Brutal non-violence.

I think ... I think this makes me Space Putin? I'm not sure anymore. I do know that the 30-year old core sector governor I promoted 5 minutes before the end of the war, whose only positive quality was "eager" and also a fondness for boats, has just seized power from the heptarchy and declared herself God-Emperor. So maybe I'm Space North Korea.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So of course the meddling sentient fungus democratic centrists invaded, and nearly overwhelmed me, before I got the ascension perk that quadrupled my naval capacity overnight (weird for a bunch of radial pacifists, but whatever), and managed to beat them back. They offered peace before I could take their first world, and because I am committed to RP I accepted. Didn't stop the fungus, and their new allies the holy crusader eggplant-faced molluscs from next door, from trying it on again the millisecond the peace treaty expired.

I wasn't so peaceful the second time. I'd been filling that capacity non-stop for 10 years, having every spaceport in my empire crap out battleships, and the resulting xeno-pacifist doom fleet (motto: This Hurts Us More Than It Hurts You) took both my enemies TO SCHOOL. LOSING school. I occupied ten mollusc-worlds, humiliated the centrist scum, and on my victory created a buffer state of xeno-pacifists out of the former holy crusaders. The buffer state hates me as much as they do their erstwhile brethren (xenophobes, natch), but they also share my ethos of non-violence. Brutal non-violence.

I think ... I think this makes me Space Putin? I'm not sure anymore. I do know that the 30-year old core sector governor I promoted 5 minutes before the end of the war, whose only positive quality was "eager" and also a fondness for boats, has just seized power from the heptarchy and declared herself God-Emperor. So maybe I'm Space North Korea.

One thing I've noticed about playing Stellaris as a Federation expy with an intentionally unsettling admixture of space-communism and space-capitalism, plus those all those Michael Bay movies & psychic reeducation, is that I can't get anyone to rebel, like ever. Only downside to going extreme egalitarian I can find is that overcrowding issue that pops up in the endgame. Also, there was that time I had to integrate that AI hive-mind and they all self-deleted, but We Don't Talk About That Unpleasantness Please Take Your Happy Pill.

Might start a game with my chaotic warrior race dudes soon, I want to try a monarchy but just can't deal with all those smug nobles & hereditary succession.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, nobody likes 3. Personally, I'm not a fan of the change in the combat system from the Ezio games to three. Combo based? Really? You can slash away all day at a guy and he just. won't. die. Not unless you finish the combo, anyway. And honestly, I would've enjoyed the games so much more if they had just left out the sci fi elements and let the actual gameplay stand on its own.

Yeah. I never hated it, and man do I love the setting (especially after learning my family were basically the Blackadders of the American Revolution). Just got bored running around all those woods.

Otherwise, I'm that guy who loves the whole series despite any flaws it can throw at me. More of the same? Fine by me. Series turned into the Witcher? Also fine.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ghost of Tsushima. Only got about 8 hours into it and still haven't completed a main questline yet (lots of exploration and a few fun sidequests, though). It has an AC feel to it (which I like, being a big AC fan), however I don't feel like I'm playing AC: Samurai. Looking forward to more of the game, when real life isn't interferring.

Which reminds me, I need to see if the soundtrack is for sale. I'm not really into Japanese music, but I'm seriously liking this soundtrack.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Been playing Fallout 4 on the PC. Modded, of course.

Despite being similar in a lot of ways to Skyrim, I find I play Fallout in a completely different manner. Aside from the hoarding. If anything, the hoarding is even worse in Fallout 4 since you can use pretty much anything to make something else. Also, in Skyrim, I tended to roleplay my characters. In Fallout, I just have the one character, and have no intention of starting others, though looking through the perks I came up with all sorts of themed character builds. My character is basically a big boy scout...the commonwealth has a great need for such people, after all.

I liked Ada...until companion A.I. started shoving her right in front of me every time I moved, looked at something, or turned around.

Piper was fun, and I like her style...I kind of get the impression she is intended as the main character's main love interest.

Cait is awesome. An Irish woman with a double barreled shotgun who talks about getting drunk and starting fights all the time.

The quests are the same basic thing as Skyrim: Go somewhere, kill everything that moves, get item. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Deathclaws are terrifying. Way scarier than anything in Skyrim; they're like raptors on steroids.

Different flavors of raiders are everywhere. Supermutants are wherever the raider's aren't. Mirelurks are annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the most annoying enemies in Skyrim (Falmer), so that's a plus. I do like how the different factions can often be found fighting each other.

One thing I noticed that you might not have if you've never played Fallout 3...When you blow up an enemy at close range in three, parts go flying everywhere and sometimes bounce off the screen. Despite playing Fallout 4 for 30+ hours, I have yet to see an eyeball bounce off the screen. It's a little thing, but it is little things like that that add to the gameplay. Oh well, not a big deal.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Been playing Fallout 4 on the PC. Modded, of course.

Despite being similar in a lot of ways to Skyrim, I find I play Fallout in a completely different manner. Aside from the hoarding. If anything, the hoarding is even worse in Fallout 4 since you can use pretty much anything to make something else. Also, in Skyrim, I tended to roleplay my characters. In Fallout, I just have the one character, and have no intention of starting others, though looking through the perks I came up with all sorts of themed character builds. My character is basically a big boy scout...the commonwealth has a great need for such people, after all.

I liked Ada...until companion A.I. started shoving her right in front of me every time I moved, looked at something, or turned around.

Piper was fun, and I like her style...I kind of get the impression she is intended as the main character's main love interest.

Cait is awesome. An Irish woman with a double barreled shotgun who talks about getting drunk and starting fights all the time.

The quests are the same basic thing as Skyrim: Go somewhere, kill everything that moves, get item. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Deathclaws are terrifying. Way scarier than anything in Skyrim; they're like raptors on steroids.

Different flavors of raiders are everywhere. Supermutants are wherever the raider's aren't. Mirelurks are annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the most annoying enemies in Skyrim (Falmer), so that's a plus. I do like how the different factions can often be found fighting each other.

One thing I noticed that you might not have if you've never played Fallout 3...When you blow up an enemy at close range in three, parts go flying everywhere and sometimes bounce off the screen. Despite playing Fallout 4 for 30+ hours, I have yet to see an eyeball bounce off the screen. It's a little thing, but it is little things like that that add to the gameplay. Oh well, not a big deal.

I can just never get into FO4 and I'm not quite sure why. Possibly because I still haven't found any mods that hit that sweet spot in term of challenge. Possibly because the endless load screen get tedious. IDK, I love the setting, enjoy the characters (who you can finally put armor on without mods, ffs), and am fine with the story. Settlement building is fun. And there's even a mod that can reskin Dogmeat to give him cattle dog markings, so that is as close to my dog as you can ever, ever possibly get in a video game

Maybe my relationship with Bethsoft is just souring again. Maybe I need to give it one more try, or fiddle around with the mods some more. Dunno, everything right now is just me waiting impatiently for either Silksong or Vahalla, so depending on how long that drags on I might finally get back into it.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Outer Wilds! Absolutely adored it, one of my favorite gaming experiences of my life. Such an amazing little indie game! If anyone hasn't seen or heard much about it then I implore you check it out. It's a game about solving an ancient mystery in space and the only thing barring your progression is your own knowledge. This means that if you look too much up about the game and spoil yourself you'll destroy the reason to play the game. If this sounds interesting don't look anything up and just play it, it has a wonderfully crafted universe and story and lasts for a decently long time.

FletcherHavarti

Registered
Reaction score
Outer Wilds! Absolutely adored it, one of my favorite gaming experiences of my life. Such an amazing little indie game! If anyone hasn't seen or heard much about it then I implore you check it out. It's a game about solving an ancient mystery in space and the only thing barring your progression is your own knowledge. This means that if you look too much up about the game and spoil yourself you'll destroy the reason to play the game. If this sounds interesting don't look anything up and just play it, it has a wonderfully crafted universe and story and lasts for a decently long time.

Great recommendation! After reading your post, I picked up this game to try out with my kids. Definitely a good one and it's extremely well done. It's hard to say anything else without spoiling it.

Thrix

Registered
Reaction score
Great recommendation! After reading your post, I picked up this game to try out with my kids. Definitely a good one and it's extremely well done. It's hard to say anything else without spoiling it.

Aw man that is so cool to hear! Glad to hear you guys enjoyed it!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I finished Assassin Creed: Rogue*, and it's in this weird liminal space where it was both kind of half-assed and pure awesomesauce. I dunno, I guess I really enjoyed it because a degree of ambivalence and is always baked into the AC games for me and after playing through eight games in the series I've learned to deal with the flaws. The biggest fault was that there were no sidequests and that's usually where I enjoy the AC games the most, this was simple a short main sequence and absurd collectathon for costumes you'll never wear (some of those costumes are so badass tho).

Shay was a great character, even if the abbreviated nature of the game leeched away some of his depth. Seeing him bullied and treated like a disposable thug by the jerkass Assassins made me totally sympathetic to his going rogue, and I always liked him even as I was aware he was becoming something cold and pitiless. Also, I understand he makes his own luck. The setting was great, and just like with Black Flag there was this real sense of cruelty, loneliness, and melancholy to the Americas.

Also, it featured 'Hauley Hauley Ho', greatest of the sea shanties.

I dunno about Unity, it has the same meh-ness as Syndicate and the way the game tries to force co-op on you nearly ruins it in some aspects. I like Arno and it might be my favorite setting so far, at the same time I'm starting to understand the hate...

I'm still dying for one set in Mughal India or China during the Boxer Rebellion. I'm completely bored by the idea of an AC game set in WW2, although one way it could be interesting is by having the Templars and Assassins team up against the Nazis.

Last edited:

ChaseJxyz

Writes 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 and 🏳️‍⚧️🌕🐺 accessories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chasej.xyz
Been playing Ace Attorney. I forgot just how ridiculous Rise From the Ashes is. I want to play the games that I haven't yet (the one Edgeworth investigations one and the latest English game) so I'll replay the ones up to that (except Dual Destinies because eff that game). It's been a VERY long time since I've played Trials and Tribulations and Apollo Justice and I barely remember anything about them, so it'll be like playing them for the first time again.

Primus

Del Lago
Registered
Reaction score
Currently going back and forth between The Outer Worlds and The Witcher 3 on my PS4. Both very different games but equally impressive.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Have had a hankering to play my bass again for a while, so I started up Rocksmith 2014 the other day on the pc. Lots of fun, but I would have liked a 'style' category to sort through the list of songs as well...some songs have your fingers and hands flying all over the place, while others don't require much movement. Would be nice to have some indicator of which one is necessary for each song. (The second type is much easier to start with when you haven't played your bass guitar in a month or more and were never all that good in the first place)

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm playing Crusader Kings 3, always on the gender & LGBTQ equality settings. I'm loving it but may have overdone the drama when the new pope was a 20-something woman who my young count of Tuscany had to romance. They are now soul mates and she's just had their baby. So yeah, other players are going viral for *eating* the pope, but I knocked her up!

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
It's not exactly filled with terrific writing, but I've been playing a lot of Fall Guys this month. I'm late on the bandwagon, got it right before season 2 dropped, but I am enjoying it... except when the game crashes after I lose and I fail to get any of the rewards >_<

I'm probably going to pick up Outer Worlds on Steam when it comes out later this month, barring financial catastrophe, or release problems.

inspector

Registered
Reaction score
hello everyone, I wanted to ask if any of you know similar games like The Werewolves of Millers Hollow. I love this game and we used to play it a lot at home. Now in Corona times we haven't played games for a while and I miss it a little bit…a lot actually. ;-) Yesterday we wanted to have a little games evening online. Not only because of Covid, but also because we all don't live in the same city anymore and so it's already difficult to meet up. We just wanted to play The Werewolves of Millers Hollow yesterday. But that obviously didn’t work so well online. Does anyone know of a similar game that could be played well online? Maybe also games where you don't need to be at least eight players? I would be very happy for tips and experiences. Thanks in advance!