Last Game you have played...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing Hollow Knight and I'm trying to take my time with the end-game stuff. It's been so fun, I don't want to finish it, even though I can start a new game after.

As much as I loved that game, once I completed all the exploring and was left with DS style boss battles to grind my way through the game lost me. Too much! But I'll likely be playing the sequel as soon as it's released.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
As much as I loved that game, once I completed all the exploring and was left with DS style boss battles to grind my way through the game lost me. Too much! But I'll likely be playing the sequel as soon as it's released.
Haha, do you mean the Godmaster DLC? I'm definitely not doing that part! I've enjoyed the bosses which are dispersed throughout the game and need to just finish beating a few before moving onto the final boss. I'm really excited for the sequel too :D It looks different, but in a good way.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, do you mean the Godmaster DLC? I'm definitely not doing that part! I've enjoyed the bosses which are dispersed throughout the game and need to just finish beating a few before moving onto the final boss. I'm really excited for the sequel too :D It looks different, but in a good way.

Kinda everything. The Radiance. All the Godmaster stuff. And Grimm. To say nothing about the Path of Pain, I have enough pain in my own life I don't need to bounce over buzzsaws a billions times to discover a hidden cutscene. I think the devs got too caught up in trying to create a hardcore endgame and it ended up feeling constricting and frustrating. But make no mistakes, HK was a brilliant, brilliant game.

BTW: Every watch the Mossbag Youtube channel? He's got some good insights into the lore, and is funny and engaging enough I wish he'd branch out into other content.

Just finishing up Assassin's Creed Odyssey, which is in this weird position where it's my favorite AC game and yet doesn't really feel like an Assassin's Creed game. I usually feel like the AC franchise is solid but falls short of greatness, both Origins and Odyssey delivered for me because I like wandering around the Ancient World and could always use more RPGs in my life, plus in Odyssey I liked the inventory system and dialogue choices (both of which could use refinement). But if the series continued refining itself in the direction it's going, I'm happy. The story is all over the place, like with Origins I feel like the main narrative was thrown together at the last minute, whereas many of the side-quests were exceptionally well written.

Last edited:

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda everything. The Radiance. All the Godmaster stuff. And Grimm. To say nothing about the Path of Pain, I have enough pain in my own life I don't need to bounce over buzzsaws a billions times to discover a hidden cutscene. I think the devs got too caught up in trying to create a hardcore endgame and it ended up feeling constricting and frustrating. But make no mistakes, HK was a brilliant, brilliant game.

BTW: Every watch the Mossbag Youtube channel? He's got some good insights into the lore, and is funny and engaging enough I wish he'd branch out into other content.
Haha, I actually figured out a build which let me face-tank Grimm (the first fight, at least) so that wasn't too bad. I haven't fought the Radiance yet, but it does seem tricky she does double damage, especially as my reaction speed isn't the best (and you have to re-fight the Hollow Knight each time you lose...). I'm avoiding certain parts of the game, like Path of Pain and Godmaster, because they're not my thing either - the White Palace was a good challenge, but I don't need more than that (PoP would make me too frustrated) and I don't enjoy boss rushes. I'm considering the coliseum because I really want to get all the items, but I'm also terrible at the mob fights, so I imagine I'd die a lot.

I have watched his channel and I enjoy the lore insights a lot :) I think he'll do Silksong, but I'm not sure about other games. Actually, another good game for lore was Owlboy, which is a lot shorter than Hollow Knight (only about 12-15 hours) but has a really well-defined world.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I keep trying to get into Fallout 4 and I'm not sure why it isn't happening.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I went all out tonight and played Minesweeper.... Had to break the monotony while doing WIP stuff.

gimli

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.newperspectivestudio.co.za
Im usually a late bloomer with games I tend to play them when the buzz is over, beside that i do find today's games are not te way they were a few years back. My last was fallout 3, must admit I did not really enjoy it in the beginning but once the story starts to unfold it get you a little hooked. What i also love about this game and so many other classics like oblivion is its open world and side quests..oh yes and your disposition to being good or bad. The game is filled with choices between doing the right thing and getting nothing or the wrong thing and gaining something. Sometimes right or wrong are not even clear. Loe that kind of stuff. Post apocalyptic world set in the 1950s.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm back into Sekiro, because I've embraced that life is pain apparently. Unlike life tho, Sekiro is well-designed, engaging, and Nintendo Hard as opposed to simply broken.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Skyrim, with lots of mods.

Got tired of trying to figure what makes my game crash SE of Riften, so I've been creating new characters I'll probably never use.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Skyrim, with lots of mods.

Got tired of trying to figure what makes my game crash SE of Riften, so I've been creating new characters I'll probably never use.

I've gotten pretty ok at avoiding crashes, what platform and mods are you using? Spend a fair bit of time in Skyrim modding communities, though the people there can be kinda scary.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten pretty ok at avoiding crashes, what platform and mods are you using? Spend a fair bit of time in Skyrim modding communities, though the people there can be kinda scary.

I'm playing Skyrim SE on the PC.

I've been modding since the Morrowind days, so I can usually figure out what's causing the problem...but not this time. I think it's something to do with the Interesting NPCs mod (the crashes happen in an area that happens to include one of the modified npcs, who can be found in a burned out shack), but it could also be some weird bug in the game itself, since other people report crashes in the same area, only about half of whom are using Interesting NPCs. From what I understand, the area is notorious for buggy trees and being hard on resources. Normally you'd think it was some kind texture or mesh problem, but I'm not using any replacers. Probably some strange combination of things.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Riften just kinda causes crashes, IIRC. I'd also heard the new update post CC club is making things more unstable.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm back into Sekiro, because I've embraced that life is pain apparently. Unlike life tho, Sekiro is well-designed, engaging, and Nintendo Hard as opposed to simply broken.

I have at last- after heaven knows how many failed attempts - defeated that damned horseman only to find I now have a bull in front of me with blazing horns. Sheesh!

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I have at last- after heaven knows how many failed attempts - defeated that damned horseman only to find I now have a bull in front of me with blazing horns. Sheesh!

The bull was pretty easy once I got the hang of it, I didn't realize there was a dash button and once I did that made things easier.

Now I'm stuck on Genichiro after trying to beat him x1000000 times. Block, don't dodge.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Been a while, but I'm finally getting back to Titan Quest. My main pack is almost through the Ragnarok expansion, which should get me to the Atlantis expansion.

Nice, mindless little hack-n-slash with beautiful graphics.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Skyrim mods. I've nearly completed my 3-month long vanilla Skyrim slog (only got the Companions to complete), and it's a good thing, because this version of Tamriel's about to undergo gravitational collapse under the weight of all the mods I've got on it. There's some WEIRD stuff happening, man. Dragon skeletons falling from the sky. Genuine body horror stuff going on with the NPC models. The same thief keeps getting murdered in the Riften markets over and over again. TBH I've never gotten this far in the game now, and I'm not sure what to do. How do people get to level 100? I'm only on 37 and can basically destroy any dungeon enemy I encounter. Am I meant to spend the rest of the time maxing my cooking skills?

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
(Should mention I didn't bother completing the Thieves' Guild questline because haha screw you Nocturnal, you're never getting this skeleton key back.)

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Re: Skyrim mods. I've nearly completed my 3-month long vanilla Skyrim slog (only got the Companions to complete), and it's a good thing, because this version of Tamriel's about to undergo gravitational collapse under the weight of all the mods I've got on it. There's some WEIRD stuff happening, man. Dragon skeletons falling from the sky. Genuine body horror stuff going on with the NPC models. The same thief keeps getting murdered in the Riften markets over and over again. TBH I've never gotten this far in the game now, and I'm not sure what to do. How do people get to level 100? I'm only on 37 and can basically destroy any dungeon enemy I encounter. Am I meant to spend the rest of the time maxing my cooking skills?

Yes. Yes you are. Chase down butterflies, and eat them. Pick pretty flowers, and eat them. Gather sketchy materials that have been lying around in tombs for 3000 years...and eat them. Just killed a vampire? Eat the dust left behind. Sabrecat eyes? A delicacy. Eat everything. Assuming you don't die from the seventeen kinds of poison you just ingested, you might level up your alchemy a little.

Build up your blacksmithing skills. Make seventeen million iron daggers.

Learn every type of magic, run around with a self-damage spell in one hand and a self healing spell in the other. Constantly cast light. Stand around in a giant camp hiding behind a shield while wearing every type of armor. Level up Light Armor, Heavy Armor, and Blocking all at once!

Buy things. Sell things. Intimidate and influence people.

If you have one of the more recent versions of the game you can make your skills legendary (basically resetting them back to zero so you can level them again, while also leveling up even more).

As for falling skeletons, body horror npcs, and murdered thieves, that's par for the course in a Bethesda game. It's really fun when one of those falling dragon skeletons gets halfway stuck in the ground and starts flopping around, or when mammoths spawn twenty stories up in the air and fall to their deaths.

suzannelen

Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Yes you are. Chase down butterflies, and eat them. Pick pretty flowers, and eat them. Gather sketchy materials that have been lying around in tombs for 3000 years...and eat them. Just killed a vampire? Eat the dust left behind. Sabrecat eyes? A delicacy. Eat everything. Assuming you don't die from the seventeen kinds of poison you just ingested, you might level up your alchemy a little.

Build up your blacksmithing skills. Make seventeen million iron daggers.

Learn every type of magic, run around with a self-damage spell in one hand and a self healing spell in the other. Constantly cast light. Stand around in a giant camp hiding behind a shield while wearing every type of armor. Level up Light Armor, Heavy Armor, and Blocking all at once!

Buy things. Sell things. Intimidate and influence people.

If you have one of the more recent versions of the game you can make your skills legendary (basically resetting them back to zero so you can level them again, while also leveling up even more).

As for falling skeletons, body horror npcs, and murdered thieves, that's par for the course in a Bethesda game. It's really fun when one of those falling dragon skeletons gets halfway stuck in the ground and starts flopping around, or when mammoths spawn twenty stories up in the air and fall to their deaths.

All of this plus making potions is an absolute gold mine so make sure you do it. There's lots of guides online but essentially you buy out all the ingredients at the alchemist shop and then craft them all into potions. Giant's toe is the number one ingredient in terms of profit. The only problem I always found was that vendors just did not have enough money to buy all the potions I made - even with all the perks you can get! You could always fast travel between the towns to sell them all though.

I'm currently playing the FF7 remake myself at the moment - very different from the original but very good.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I've restarted wanting to play in a different style, so I'm gunna RP a Breton mage going to magic school and pretending not to understand the local politics at all. I'll keep my old character if I feel like grinding. Though I did find a mod that allows you to import a previous character into a game as a follower. So now my wimpy Breton mage has a level 37 Argonian spellsword Dragonborn guildmaster x3 civil war hero as a bodyguard. Going into dungeons is now like, Level 1 bandits getting as far as "You never should have come--" before getting immediately vaporised by my follower casting dual lightning, or just calling a whole thunderstorm into existence with a shout. I love this ridiculous game.

I'm also playing through Disco Elysium. It's very ... un-Skyrim. But amazing. It makes my dumb old brain feel smarter just playing it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Replaying my latest keeper: Assassin's Creed: Origins.

Both Odyssey and Origins were badass. Can't wait for Valhalla. Playing through Black Flag right now, can see what the hubbub is about. Gonna do Rogue and then Unity. I get why the fandom is down it sometimes, but I sure do love that series.

Also playing Stellaris some more and there's something really satisfying about creates a Perfect Humanist Utopia that eats everything. And Ori just got into Ori.

redpbass

Registered
Reaction score
Playing Skyrim Special Edition + ~70 mods (mostly quality of life) on a new computer with a very, very good video card and 64 gb of ram...Skyrim is actually smooth. Smooth! No choppiness at all! Skyrim plays as smooth as a regular game...!

Before that I was playing Minecraft.

As for Assassin's Creed, I haven't played anything past Black Flag, but that one was definitely my favorite of the bunch I'd played up til then. Loved the ocean-going combat, even with the weird glitches.