Last Game you have played...

Simian

Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing Borderlands 2 again. I'm just so busy in my day that it's the perfect game to just dip into without needing too much time (until you get stuck in a 45 min story mission)

Been disappointed with a lot of games recently. Perhaps I just reached saturation point after 30 years of gaming, but everything feels so formulaic these days, go to person A find object B at location C, kill things in between and level up.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I just started playing Terraria again.

[Extremely Boromir meme voice]

One does not just play a little bit of Terraria.

I think I played it for 12 hours straight yesterday, can't wait to jump right back in. Comes and goes in waves for me, but since it came out eight years ago I think I've but something like 500+ hours into it. Loving it on Xbox, the controller makes such a difference.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Stardew Valley has eaten my life. I started playing it in December because I was craving something peaceful about farming, but not set in the real world, and it looked perfect. And it is. I've restarted it at least ten times to play it slightly differently each time, and I haven't got bored of it yet. What a lovely game.

I am tempted by other games that I'd like to go back to, as I'm not as much in the headspace that I was that required this kind of distraction. Once I 100% the game, I'll stop.

Maybe.

Hairyback

Registered
Reaction score

I think I played it for 12 hours straight yesterday, can't wait to jump right back in. Comes and goes in waves for me, but since it came out eight years ago I think I've but something like 500+ hours into it. Loving it on Xbox, the controller makes such a difference.
Terraria is great. I've played for hours, but haven't yet plucked up the courage to kill the wall of flesh and go into nightmare mode. It feels like there is always something else that I need to do first.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Playing Dark Souls 2 at the moment. When I played DS1, I was so intimidated, I followed a guide and didn't stray off the path. This time, I decided to go in blind and I'm having a blast. Those must still be some the best games ever made.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Playing Dark Souls 2 at the moment. When I played DS1, I was so intimidated, I followed a guide and didn't stray off the path. This time, I decided to go in blind and I'm having a blast. Those must still be some the best games ever made.

DS2 gets trashed a lot, and I'll cop to that it's the worst of the three. Plus, some of the areas break the DS tough-but-fair rule and are just obnoxious. But, even among FROM's games, there's something grand and memorable about it. Just remember, targeting is not always your friend!

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
DS2 gets trashed a lot, and I'll cop to that it's the worst of the three. Plus, some of the areas break the DS tough-but-fair rule and are just obnoxious. But, even among FROM's games, there's something grand and memorable about it. Just remember, targeting is not always your friend!

Yeah, for all that DS2 is my least favorite in the Soulsborne series, it’s still an incredible experience I’ve come back to multiple times. I love the hazy dream-like quality it has that persists from Majula (my favorite Souls hubtown) out through the strange and impossible labyrinthine geometry of the world areas all the way to the (literal) dream segments towards the end. In some ways it feels like a time-filtered remembrance of Dark Souls and Demon’s Souls and really hammers home that eternal recurrence theme.

Plus I <3 ridiculously oversized weapons and the DS2 ultra greatswords are the shit.

Last edited:

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
Just played through Deltarune this weekend — well, “Chapter One,” anyway. I found it cute and enjoyable but completely nonessential as an Undertale followup. Kind of a less funny retread of the first few hours and a lot of the same character beats. Ending doesn’t really go anywhere radical in the same was as the final act(s) of Undertale either. That might change whenever later chapters get released.

On the other hand it’s less than 3 hours for a full playthrough, so if the thought of what amounts to an evening’s worth of free Earthbound DLC sounds like a fun diversion, I’d recommend giving it a go.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There is something truly spectacular about DS1, but I've enjoyed 2. There are some things that really bug me though. I don't like the disappearing health bar, that just feels like they are trying to make it artificially difficult, and I don't like that the blacksmith only has a set number of titanite shards. I upgraded a lot of weapons in the beginning as I was trying to figure out which one I liked, and now I can't get any more and upgrade the weapons I am using at the moment. I am also battling to find a decent weapon. I've been using the same fire sword for ages now. The roll also seems a lot slower, and clunkier. In 1 you can strip down to your whities and jump around like a jackrabbit, but that doesn't seem to work in two.
Apart from that, I've enjoyed it. There are some interesting stages. I just got through that stage, out in the forest, where the fog is so thick, you can't see your hand in front of your face. I don't think I've concentrated that hard in a game--ever.

Spaceranger82

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure at least one person here has heard of this one, but I've been playing plenty of World of Tanks as of late. It's fun, but one can't always rely on their teammates to do their jobs.

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
I've become addicted to Dead by Daylight.

I play a few games before bed, which is... not the most relaxing game, but hey.

Karl230

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score

Oh, same with me!
Looking forward to the new game!

Pancubuzz

Registered
Reaction score
Recently played Virtue's Last Reward with my friends. Didn't get to finish it because two of us moved out of the country recently, but I loved the parts we did get to play. And by love, I mean the friend and I who were playing it for the first time screamed at the TV multiple times over the plot twists and character actions. (Some because they were really good. Some because that was the stupidest decision ever, stop trying to rationalize it, game, you can't make me agree with that decision ever). The game itself was mine, so I'm looking forward to finishing it but I feel like it's more fun to play with a friend.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Finding myself really enjoying Assassin's Creed: Odyssey. Overall, the game's philosophy of trying to jam every trendy concept from the last five years of AAA gaming on top of the (mutating) AC framework works for me. I don't think all the bells and whistles add anything that fresh or brilliant, but since I already like wandering around historical locations shanking people, it's still lots of fun, and, with three-fourths of the map completed, I'm impressed by how engaged I still am.

SVenus

Registered
Reaction score
Replaying Dragon Age: Inqusition. I kind of forgot how much I enjoyed the characters and the worldbuilding. I really hope BioWare manages to pull of DA4, but if Andromeda and Anthem are any indictation... :/

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Replaying Dragon Age: Inqusition. I kind of forgot how much I enjoyed the characters and the worldbuilding. I really hope BioWare manages to pull of DA4, but if Andromeda and Anthem are any indictation... :/

I totally agree. Loved DA I and III (except for the inability to make a character with dark brown hair and eyes instead of greenish brown or shiny blue hair and orange to gray eyes while offering numerous shades of blond hair and blue eyes), and was okay with DA II, but I worry they'll do something to screw DA IV up, especially with the rumors it will be multiplayer or go in a different direction with it or be adapted to be playable on phones and tablets too :(

I'd love a game that had the open world and size of, say, Skyrim but had the character development, world building, and quality of story we had with the DA franchise.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Solas was one of my favorite characters ever. I know that's kind of an unpopular opinion on the internet.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I totally agree. Loved DA I and III, and was okay with II, but I worry they'll do something to screw DA IV up, especially with the rumors it will be multiplayer or go in a different direction with it or be adapted to be playable on phones and tablets too :(

"Rumours" is really another way of saying "no actual proof to support the idea".

Inquisition had stand-alone multiplayer and the multiplayer mode did fairly well. I see no reason to believe Dragon Age IV will be multiplayer-focused, especially when BioWare themselves have constantly reiterated such.

BPhillipYork

Sphinx of black quartz judge my vow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.BPhillipYork.com
I've played a lot of video games in my life, and I finally gave it up and I feel like I gave up an addiction, and now I have so much more time, to, write. and I'm very happy. I used to play Dota 2 12v12 for hours a day and I hated it and I hate the community but it was like gambling or something for me. So glad I can say it's been months and I feel no desire to go back to that.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I bought a few video games recently. I'm trying my hands at Ultimate General: American Civil War, Baldur's Gate (yet again,) and Verdun! :D

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Just booted up Titan Quest: Ragnarok, my favorite hack-and-slash, after a few months away, and found they'd added/tweaked a few things, mostly for the better. (I also saw that they released an Atlantis EP, but general reviews were not great, so I'll hold off on purchasing until I can get it cheaper. Besides, I still haven't finished the Ragnarok map, but I'm getting close...)

Also bought myself the third Witcher last week, but I'm having some Issues tweaking the video settings/mouse speed to make navigation and play easier - and getting stuck in long cinematics, especially cinematics where the sound is disturbingly out of synch with the video, gets annoying when I'm still trying to get the hang of navigation again. Think I might loop back to the first game, which had some similar controls but not so many issues, to get the muscle memory back before I try it again. (I also never won the first one, and never got to the second one...)

I really need to schedule a little more gaming time now and again. I miss it, and find it makes good white noise for ideas to percolate.

CrystalUsagi

Registered
Reaction score
I've played Stardew Valley last week. I want to play again but school's taking up free time. It's so relaxing and there's something fun about having your only little farm.

owlion

Absorbing inspiration from the moon
Registered
Reaction score
I've been playing Hollow Knight and I'm trying to take my time with the end-game stuff. It's been so fun, I don't want to finish it, even though I can start a new game after.