Not open for further replies.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
A true story:

“Dad, wake up,” my eight-year-old says, shaking my shoulder and accidentally pulling my hair. “Some man is on the phone. I think it’s about photography.”

“Thanks, Hon,” I say. I’d pulled an all-nighter trying to finish a rewrite for a boutique agent who had shown interest in two manuscripts.

“Hello?”

“Cole, how are you?” asks the superstar mega agent I didn’t expect to hear back from. We’d chatted the week before, but he’d seemed rather lukewarm about my story. Liked the writing, but something missing, yada yada. Real nice guy, though.

“Great, Mr. MegaAgent,” I say. It’s raining outside my window and I’m not sure if it’s 7am, or 7pm.

“Dad, it’s after noon, and I’m really hungry,” my daughter tells me.

“I was going to email you,” the mega agent says. “But the more I thought about it, the more I felt I should call. You have a real talent with words…”

“Dad!” screams my daughter. “Bagel is peeing on the carpet!”

“Excuse me…Tylea, it’s okay. I’ll clean it up when I’m done talking. This is really important…sorry.”

“That’s okay. Listen, I was all set to pass, but then I got to thinking about it. I’d like to print out a hard copy, and maybe take another week to…”

“Daddy! Bagel is pooping!”

“Please, Tylea!”

“Come! She’s pooping on the bed!”

“It’s okay…sorry Mr. MegaAgent…I’ll clean it up when I’m done!”

My daughter appears next to the phone, tears streaming.

“At this level, I’m not interested in doing a line by line for a client, but…”

“Daddy! You have to come help! There’s poop everywhere!”

“Maybe you need to go,” says the mega agent.

“Daddy! Now!”

“I’ll call next week, Cole.”

“I’m really sorry.”

“Daddy! Come!”

Daddy begins to cry a little, too.

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
Look at it this way, the agent will never forget that phone call. It had to be much more interesting than leaving a message on an answering machine! Good luck with the next phone call and hopefully the animals will behave themselves.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
At least you got an offer of another call rather than a "never mind" or "just calling to say we passed..."

(Get Bagel a doggie carrier by next week :D )

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it's very funny.

But really frustrating, yeah. I'd be completely freaking out at this point. Also pretty annoyed with the dog.

Thankfully, he's going to call back, and when he's your agent and you're published, I bet it will be one of those stories you'll both tell.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Annoyed with the dog? I'd be annoyed with the kid. She interrupted 7 times in one phone conversation? If she's old enough to talk, she's old enough to understand that it's rude to interrupt you on the phone, and even ruder to continue interrupting you.

I hope you're going to have a talk with her about this, and let her know what her behavior may have cost you.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Annoyed with the dog? I'd be annoyed with the kid. She interrupted 7 times in one phone conversation? If she's old enough to talk, she's old enough to understand that it's rude to interrupt you on the phone, and even ruder to continue interrupting you.

I hope you're going to have a talk with her about this, and let her know what her behavior may have cost you.

Yeah, I agree, but it was a case of special circumstances...Bagel is an 8 week old beagle we just brought home. My daughter had earned her for making every ski race team practice this past winter. Kind of ironic that she earned the puppy for being extremely responsible. And poop was everywhere. If my wife hadn't intervened later in the afternoon, I'd have thrown the bed away.

I feel like I had a really bad dream, though.

As to the agent, I feel like a total asshead.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
When you're a kid, dog pooping and peeing everywhere is an emergency. So I can understand why she was freaking out, although the first interruption was definitely rude.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree, but it was a case of special circumstances...Bagel is an 8 week old beagle we just brought home. My daughter had earned her for making every ski race team practice this past winter. Kind of ironic that she earned the puppy for being extremely responsible. And poop was everywhere. If my wife hadn't intervened later in the afternoon, I'd have thrown the bed away.

I feel like I had a really bad dream, though.

That explains her insistence. Since it's a new dog, she may have been afraid you'd get rid of it for having accidents.

Give agents your cell number. That way you can run out the door and lock yourself in the car when an agent calls and your child starts having a drama.;)

Regan Leigh

Insomniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reganleigh.com
Wow. That is one cringe inducing story! But funny in a little way. :) So did said Mega Agent ever speak with you after that? And is Bagel still alive? :D

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
That explains her insistence. Since it's a new dog, she may have been afraid you'd get rid of it for having accidents.

Give agents your cell number. That way you can run out the door and lock yourself in the car when an agent calls and your child starts having a drama.;)

Alternatively you could just develop a scary expression that lets the kids know that if they interrupt you the consequences will be dire. I give mine the LOOK and they close the door quietly and run away.
However, my sixteen year old completely forgot to tell me that my agent called the other week, I only found out a couple of days later because she emailed me...

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score

Why don't you call him back? If you get a receptionist or he doesn't have time to talk, leave a message and thank him for calling and let him know you're looking forward to when he calls again.

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
This is kind of like the father in the video whose daughter threw the ball back at the Phillies game. First he was stunned and devastated, then he gave her a big hug and America fell in love with him. He wound up getting jerseys and an autographed ball, too.
In your case, however, unless you have it on video, nothing good is apt to come of this. In my experience, that's the last you'll ever hear from this agent. Who needs a family man with a daughter and a dog? Agents only want single writers living in shacks and hovels on next to nothing a year churning out four books a year.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
Look at it this way, the agent will never forget that phone call. It had to be much more interesting than leaving a message on an answering machine! Good luck with the next phone call and hopefully the animals will behave themselves.

There has probably never been uttered a truer statement :D

When you're a kid, dog pooping and peeing everywhere is an emergency. So I can understand why she was freaking out, although the first interruption was definitely rude.

Absolutely, kids do not have the same perspective as adults. Funny how quickly we adults forget that.

funny how funny real life can be. the universe does have a quirky sense of humor

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
Oh dear. *hides laughter* I hope it all works out in the end!

When my now agent called I had planned things to go smoothly. But my two year old slept poorly the night before and was extrememly cranky and refused everything I bribed her with to be quiet for a few minutes. I ended up talking to my agent sitting on the floor in the office with my back against the door so my children couldn't get in, while my two year old screamed at the door. Agent was very nice about it, lol.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Why don't you call him back? If you get a receptionist or he doesn't have time to talk, leave a message and thank him for calling and let him know you're looking forward to when he calls again.

I'd second this.

I'm also tremendously curious to find out what the agent wanted to say.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
The agent is probably still laughing. He's sure to remember you.

I agree, you should call back and explain who you are and that 'stuff happens.'
Can't hurt...

*funny story, rly*

Salis

You Lie!
Registered
Reaction score
I think,

"The opening to this phone call just didn't grab me. Please feel free to call me again after you've rewritten your pitch,"

would have been the best out.

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com
Ahhh, Regan, you resurrected this, eh?

As an update and to answer a couple of questions:

Bagel the Beagle is alive and well, other than a recurring flea problem. Mom was at her library when the poop happened, and as much as I wanted to call and have her come home and clean up the mess...

I ended up signing with a newbie/boutique agent who I connected with for her editing skills, despite advice to continue the search. My contract is for each individual MS (I'm with her for two MS's), which gives me the opportunity to decide what I want to do with my third MS. To be candid, I just didn't feel my MS was as good as the feedback I was getting from agents. I knew it needed another rewrite, and the feedback my agent provided seemed dead on. I passed on an offer from WMA in what I've been told was a bout of abject stupidity. But I'm happy.

The agent from the crazy phone call and I penciled in plans for a day of skiing in the Catskills this winter. Funny that we hit it off more as friends than agent/client. Turns out we're both the types of guys who talk way too much, leaving our wives teasing that we have a new BFF...

Status
Not open for further replies.