Status
Not open for further replies.

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
m

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

I just tried to print the new copyright form. No luck.

The instructions state that a bar code must show on the form when printed, but the bar code doesn't even show on my computer screen! I tried to use the online filing method but the instructions for my password were impossible to follow. What gives? Is there a secret I don't know about?

Post a link and I'll try to help you.

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
m

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Well, I finally got in using a different browser, but the page that begins the process of registering a work won't load.

Before you progress any farther--are you sure you want to register the copyright?

Sometimes writers register before they have a publisher, and, frankly, it's a PITA for the publisher to have to re-register a second time for a derivative work because they've requested edits.

Just sayin'

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
You don't have to re-register copyright after a title is sold. I've done it both ways. If you do anticipate selling a project, ask the publisher as you contract, whether they will register copyright for you, or if they'd prefer you to do it yourself.

Either way, copyright is established at whatever point you create the work. The registration can be done before or after edits.

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
And ...

It is always helpful if people having computer issues would tell us:

Windows or Mac.

Browser being used (if a browser is involved).

Word processor (if a word processor is involved). Sometimes people raise questions about formatting or other computer problems, but do not say what program they are using.

myrmidon

i AM batman (not really)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
1979semifinalist.com
I'm so not educated in the whole 'to copyright' or 'not to copyright' dialogue but I had an interesting conversation with a really powerful entertainment lawyer yesterday that kind of flew in the face of everything I've ever read/heard. FWIW, here it is...

I had already registered my manuscript with the WGA (mostly for paranoia's sake), but the lawyer (who read my manuscript) told me to go immediately to copyright it online via the library of congress as well. He also told me I should be using the copyright sign and my name on the materials...which I'd always heard was just a crazy faux pas.

Crap, talk about faux pas...it occurs to me I may have just hijacked this thread...apologies! Should I delete and start a new thread?

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
m

Last edited:

ComicBent

Registered
Reaction score
Copyright

Well, since I don't have anything to register online, I can't go and try it to see what is up.

I use Firefox and have not had any trouble with anything online. I doubt that it is the browser. It seems hard to believe that it is the Mac, what with all the writers who use Macs (I do not).

To respond to someone else ... What your lawyer said is correct. The only real protection is registration of your copyright.

The whole thing about whether to put the copyright symbol on your title page can be debated and discussed indefinitely. But I want somebody to point to a good screenplay that has been rejected because somebody put a © on it.

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
Just an FYI. If you're trying to print a page that has a bar code on it, make sure you're using a really high resolution printer. Bar codes don't work correctly if printed on low resolution printers.

Not that you will be scanning the bar code anytime soon, but I thought I'd just pass the info along.

Status
Not open for further replies.