• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Scenes That Aren't Scenes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
The book I'm currently reading is written in First Person Narrative where the protagonist is the narrator. All the action is through his own eyes.

Certain scenes in the book however don't look like scenes at all. In one, he talks about missing his father, painting his father's portrait, watching fathers and sons together. The scene is more of his thoughts.

What's the point? Why does the author do this? What's the importance?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Things that are important to the character (whether they seem to have an immediate bearing on the story or not) can help build the story. Sometimes it's just sloppy writing.

Obviously there's a theme with these "non-scenes" (MC's relationship with his father). They are probably there to help develop the character and (hopefully) have an impact on events later in the book. If they don't do either of those things... they might be unnecessary. Hard to say without reading it.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
are such scenes only in first person narrative?

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
The writer could be just indulging. Or, as Aggy said, the not-scenes might be building towards something essential later on in the book.

The best way to tell is to keep reading. When you're done, ask the following questions.

Did the not-scenes inhibit or force the character to act a specific way in a crisis?
Did the not-scenes foreshadow the action?
Did the not-scenes give the reader information that allowed the reader to see the plot hook at the end before the main character saw it coming?

If the answer is "no" to all of those questions, the writer was probably indulging, or lazy or is going to use that info in the next book of the series (if there will be one).

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't follow what the problem is. Surely they are scenes the same as any other scene.

It's not all 'happening' in a vaccum.

To deliver a soliloquy doesn't mean there isn't a 'scene'.

Danthia

Scenes are followed by sequels. What you describe is probably that. Basic breakdown:

Scene has this structure - POV has a goal, POV works to achieve goal, something happens to prevent POV's goal (or achieve it).

Sequel has this structure - react to what's happened, think about what to do next, make a decision, act (which then becomes the next scene goal)

Sequels can be long or they can be one sentence.

I go into it a lot more here if you're curious.

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
Man, are you ever onto something with this one. One of the biggest traps of writing a novel or screenplay, and one of the biggest opportunities, relates to the content and construction of scenes. The two best rules of scene writing I've ever heard, ones that I teach in my writing workshops (hey, that'll make a good post, think I'll do that now...) are these:

1. Enter your scenes at the last possible moment. William Goldman said it first, in his book, "Adventures in the Screen Trade." Just as true for novelist.

2. Every scene should be conceived, built and executed around a MISSION that is specific to that scene and that scene only. What are you trying to accomplish with this scene? How does it relate to the spine of the story? Side trips away from the spine are always a bad thing, especially in time-sequential stories. Sure, every scene needs to illuminate character and contribute to thematic resonance, but this rule will set you free: know why the scene needs to be there, how it advances the plot, and then how it demonstrates character, and then do that and nothing else with the scene.

Hope this helps.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Just because a scene consists entirely of a character's thoughts doesn't make it something other than a scene. Being able to delve into a character's thoughts as well as their words and actions is the single great advantage books have over movies, IMO. Of course, if you can't figure out what purpose the thoughts serve in the story, then something may be amiss.

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com

It shows the character struggling with recent events, and with the character's dilemmas about what to do about it. This can demonstrate a great deal about the character. It shows what kinds of facts and memories and beliefs the character brings to bear on the dilemma. It shows the character's values, by showing the character's reasons for discounting some options and preferring others.

It can demonstrate the character's flaws and virtues. The character may take the easy way out of the dilemma, or the hard way; the courageous way or the cowardly way; the honest way or the dishonest way.

It can show important events from the character's past, because some of those events influence the character's current decisions.

It can foreshadow future events. The character may, for example, make certain assumptions about what might or might not happen in the future, about what allies and enemies might do or not do. The character may express doubts or fears, then act as if the feared thing won't happen. Once we know what the character expects or fears, we (as writers or readers) are on guard for those events.

That's all I can think of at the moment. What else?

By the way, I call these scenes Reaction Scenes or Dilemma Scenes (I can't decide which I like better). Writing teacher Dwight Swain (and also Jack Bickham and, until recently, Randy Ingermanson) call these scenes Sequels. I don't like the term because whenever I use it I always have to explain that I don't mean what people think I mean. Dilemma Scene expresses more accurately what I mean.

Dale

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
if it's easy to get into a character's head if the story is told in first person narrative, how do you do it in third person?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
if it's easy to get into a character's head if the story is told in first person narrative, how do you do it in third person?

You can get inside character's head in third person.

He thought about killing his father. What delicious revenge!​

It's simple. It's easy.

The only difference is in first person you can only get into the head of the narrator. In third person, you can focus on one character (3rd limited), or a few (3rd limited, rotating) or a whole bunch (3rd omniscient).

Dwayne, you've been around the board for a while now, and POVs have been discussed all too often. Maybe you should dig up some of the old threads and study them instead of asking questions that have already been answered many times.

Last edited:

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
The book I'm currently reading is written in First Person Narrative where the protagonist is the narrator. All the action is through his own eyes.

Certain scenes in the book however don't look like scenes at all. In one, he talks about missing his father, painting his father's portrait, watching fathers and sons together. The scene is more of his thoughts.

If the writer is any good, those bits of exposition will help you gain a crucial understanding of the character's motivation, and may be important to the plot later on in the book.

If the writer isn't any good, they're just wank.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to take a moment to see if I understand clearly how to do this in both first person and third person.

First Person

More than anything, I long to be successful, to be loved, to be valued. I am surrounded by people who fit that description. I have a father who owns and manages a successful grocery store, a mother who is an expert seamstress and operates a costume rental business, three sisters who work in a bank, on a cruise ship, and in social work, even my younger brother has made something of himself, a fact that he rubs in. Compared to everyone else, I feel like a failure.

Third person

More than anything, Dwayne longed to be successful, to be loved, to be valued. He was surrounded by people who fit that description. He has a father who owns and manages a successful grocery store, a mother who is an expert seamstress and operates a costume rental business, three sisters who work in a bank, on a cruise ship, and in social work, even a younger brother has made something of himself, a fact that he rubs in. Compared to everyone else, Dwayne felt like a failure.

How did I do? Point out corrections where neccessary.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
Personally I'd put it all in past tense. Also that's a whole lot of telling and no showing. But certainly it is exposition that develops a character.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
First person can suit memoir or diary writing, so if that's what you prefer then stick with it. But since we're talking about writing the same thing in third person, I'd also vote for switching to past tense. But more importantly I'd also try to make things more personal to the character. If you haven't already, set the scene (location, time of day) and intro the character. This tiny rewrite is just for fun's sake, with the name changed to a fictional name because I don't know how you think or how you would react:

Fred lay in his bed and stared at the ceiling as he listened to the house slowly coming alive with familiar voices and early morning activity. Someone called his name but he didn't bother replying. Some days he felt like the family failure, and this was one of them. His dad owned and managed a successful grocery store. His mom, an expert seamstress, operated a costume rental business. His sisters worked in a bank, on a cruise ship, and in social work. Heck, even his little shithead of a brother had made something of himself, which he never tired of rubbing in every chance he got. Fred dreamed that writing would be his forte. If he could just find that elusive great story idea and set it down on paper.

...That's not the greatest writing sample in the world but I'd hope it gets more into the character's head and delivers personal thoughts that allow us to get to know and understand him a little better. Which is the beginning of engaging writing. Find a way to interest the reader so they want to read the next paragraph.

-Derek

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
how did mine look?
Like a shopping list. I felt no connection with the character.

Nice detail, Derek. The brother's "nickname" sums up the protagonist's feelings in just three words without needing the rest of the sentence. @=)
Thanks for saying so! But of course, it might not be to everyone's taste.

-Derek

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
what do you mean "no connection"? I don't get it.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
what do you mean "no connection"? I don't get it.
This is related to all those "What is voice?" and "How do you make characters seem real?" and "How do you write interesting dialogue?" type questions you've asked before. It's not a new topic. It's a continuation of all those previous topics.

Your sample reads flat, like a list. It's not got enough character voice to let me imagine the words came from a character who tickles my interest and my curiosity so I want to find out more about him and his life. It needs to be made more personal, more quirky, more interesting, so it engages the reader and a connection is made to the character.

Maybe I should ask you, who is the most interesting character you've ever found in a novel? What was it about this character that tickled your interest and made you want to read more about him? Was it his attitude? The things he did? The way he talked? Perhaps you had some things in common that made you understand him, forming an emotional connection? If not those, then what?

Why not try rewriting the third person sample (in past tense this time) and insert something extra -- an interesting image, or an observation, or a quirky/funny/ironic line that lets your character speak out with his own individual voice? Don't use your own name, pretend it's someone else.

-Derek

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
actually, I've never connected with any character. I'm not a people person. Never have been, never will be. And I've been writing like this all my life. What am I doing wrong that everyone else is doing right?

And what the heck is past tense? Quirky? I don't understand that word.

Status
Not open for further replies.