How do sell an idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently come up with an idea for a reality TV series that I think really has merit. It would have a smaller audience than most such shows, but there happens to be a cable channel focused on the audience that already does some reality shows.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed while protecting my idea. And also how much a show idea is worth.

ccv707

He who asks, "Why?"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unfortunately, ideas cannot be copyrighted.

And please, if have an ounce of self respect, don't spend your time thinking up reality television. It is everything that's wrong with modern day culture.

Why don't you write a story about the show instead, and use it to show how reality television is destroying our society!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you're not considering getting a woman to have nontuplets...

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently come up with an idea for a reality TV series that I think really has merit. It would have a smaller audience than most such shows, but there happens to be a cable channel focused on the audience that already does some reality shows.

I'm looking for advice on how to proceed while protecting my idea. And also how much a show idea is worth.

Not having heard the specific idea I don't want to dismiss it based on the overall trashiness of the genre, but really an idea comes down to a pitch. If you can pitch your idea in a small amount of impactful words, that's probably a good start.

I can't say I've ever pitched to TV executives, so the whole copyright etc. I will not comment on. If you're a big-shot in the industry it probably helps. I'm guessing you're not, and I also am not, so no help there.

Read up on how to pitch, though. It's a valuable skill.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

And please, if have an ounce of self respect, don't spend your time thinking up reality television. It is everything that's wrong with modern day culture.

Why don't you write a story about the show instead, and use it to show how reality television is destroying our society!

This is not helpful to the poster's question. I don't see the need to cast judgments. There is a market and if the poster has a good idea for a show, they should pursue it.

Hammer: Did you try contacting the network???

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

You can't copyright ideas, but you can pitch a show. It's not the same as contacting a literary agent or publisher to say "I've got a great idea if someone wants to write it". There are a (very) few people whose careers are built on pitching ideas to networks, selling the concept and letting the networks do with it what they will.

TV, however, is harder to break into than publishing in most cases.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can't copyright ideas, but you can pitch a show. It's not the same as contacting a literary agent or publisher to say "I've got a great idea if someone wants to write it". There are a (very) few people whose careers are built on pitching ideas to networks, selling the concept and letting the networks do with it what they will.

TV, however, is harder to break into than publishing in most cases.
Especially with "reality" TV. Everybody and his Uncle Judy and Aunt Lars has an idea, so how to do it without looking like you're already ripping off somebody else?

hammerklavier, there might be something in these forums. Granted, they're mostly about stage and film, but you might get a hint.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

You might want to talk to clockwork (mod in the scriptwriting forum) on how to approach a network. I know he's done that. And though reality tv is meant to be spontaneous there's a bit of it that's scripted so you might try the scriptwriting forum. :)

I don't mind the types of reality shows that don't vote people off.

I love shows like Whale Wars, Mythbusters, Man vs. Wild...they can be so interesting.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
You need to work up a pitch for the show, just like if you were pitching a scripted show.

You need to tell me (the network pr prodco) what this show is like (successful shows as example) and why it is new and fresh and never been seen before.

I need to know how it all works (the mechanics of the show). I need to know what will make the views watch - what will they care about? what will they love? why will the turn in each week?

If there is a way to cross-promote the show with a sponsor, tell me about that, if I can spread the cost of production with a major corporation, I'm more interested.

Do you have a host in mind? DON'T lock into a specific person, because if I like that host, but I can't get that person, then the idea is suddenly weaker and you've taken the edge off the concept.

Remember, you NEVER want to give me a reason to pass. So be as specifically vague as possible. I want a clear vision of the show that isn't locked into anything until the show hits the air.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks (to those who gave constructive advice) I'll develop a pitch, I think sponsors could definately be involved in this one.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Thanks (to those who gave constructive advice) I'll develop a pitch, I think sponsors could definately be involved in this one.

Just remember in the pitch to say it would appeal to more than one sponsor... same as with the host suggestion. You wanna give the idea without locking into one solid thing.

And with ALL advertising and marketing, you need to sell the SIZZLE not the steak.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I just realized I didn't address the second part of the question.

If you do your pitch, I believe you can register the show pitch with the WGA.

As for what it earns. Assuming you sign on with a prodco, and then develop the show, you might get a nominal fee and a small amount per episode made.

However, conventional wisdom holds that it won't be until the third season that you REALLY cash in your chips. Syndication tends to happen then, a show that has been around for three seasons is of significantly higher value just because it's established, and as a franchise base, that's likely when the spin-offs start to happen. In short, it's unlikely you'd get rich quick off it.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I'd always believed this too, until last week - A dance group had won a talent contest on TV the week before (yawn), and the boy that runs the group was getting advice from a top lawyer, on bbc radio, of how to copyright his street dance idea so that no one else could ever use it.

If someone can copyright such a trivial thing as a dance routine, I don't see why people can't copyright their other ideas too. :Shrug:

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
I'd always believed this too, until last week - A dance group had won a talent contest on TV the week before (yawn), and the boy that runs the group was getting advice from a top lawyer, on bbc radio, of how to copyright his street dance idea so that no one else could ever use it.

If someone can copyright such a trivial thing as a dance routine, I don't see why people can't copyright their other ideas too. :Shrug:

Because your example is like saying "Because I can copyright a book, I must be able to copyright an idea." A dance routine is a composed piece made up of individual moves, and as far as I'm concerned you can liken it to a book being composed of individual words. While you may not be able to protect a word or move, I have no problem with an entire composed product being protected. It is not easy to choreograph a good dance routine.

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem with that either, to copy their whole show would be wrong, but no dance move has never been made before, just put into different sequences. These guys are trying to say that actual street dancing belongs to them, whereas I'm sure it goes on all over the world, just not their exact sequence pf moves.

I have no problem with an entire composed product being protected. It is not easy to choreograph a good dance routine.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem with that either, to copy their whole show would be wrong, but no dance move has never been made before, just put into different sequences. These guys are trying to say that actual street dancing belongs to them, whereas I'm sure it goes on all over the world, just not their exact sequence pf moves.

This is like Trump trying to copyright (trademark?) "You're Fired!" because of The Apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.