• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Can Ghostwriting Hurt Your Career?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiseman55

Registered
Reaction score
Website
apeopleshistoryflorida.tripod.com
While the thread question is very general, my problem is far more specific. I am a 21-year old author who recently put out a 586-page nonfiction history book, something very few people in my age category have done as far I know. Most people don't believe it actually. I am currently working for my father's financial company writing a promotional book on the history of gold. While my name will go down as the main author, my father's name will go down secondary because he's adding some charts/graphs on gold prices, with some commentary, at the end of the book. So, considering most people can't believe a 21-year old could write the history book that I did, and my dad's name is also going down on this history of gold book, do you think this could possibly damage my career? Do you think people will believe my dad had actually ghostwritten both books and just put my name on the title (note that he has absolutely nothing to do with the first book)? Also take into consideration that he's a pretty powerful man with a huge reputation. Do you think I should back out on writing the history of gold book for him? I'm really in a rock and hard place...

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
While the thread question is very general, my problem is far more specific. I am a 21-year old author who recently put out a 586-page nonfiction history book, something very few people in my age category have done as far I know. Most people don't believe it actually.

It doesn't matter what you do in life, there will be people who don't believe it. What matters is whether or not you did do it. Are these people who disbelieve it actually in a position to prevent you from getting future writing gigs?

So, considering most people can't believe a 21-year old could write the history book that I did, and my dad's name is also going down on this history of gold book, do you think this could possibly damage my career?

No.

Do you think people will believe my dad had actually ghostwritten both books and just put my name on the title (note that he has absolutely nothing to do with the first book)?

Of course some people are going to believe that. Doesn't make it true. Doesn't mean it hurts you. Go to the supermarket aisle. Look at the tabloids. Read the headlines about celebrities. Go to the lunchroom. Listen to people talk. How much of that gossip do you think hurts people's careers?

Also take into consideration that he's a pretty powerful man with a huge reputation. Do you think I should back out on writing the history of gold book for him? I'm really in a rock and hard place...

Except for the fact that this is your father and he might not hold it against it, this would be a bad career move. You've obligated yourself to this project. Follow through on that promise, possibly contractual. Honor it. Meet your deadlines. This is how you build a writing career.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
It's all good. I don't see any reason why you should be concerned. You wrote the books and you are the author. Is there anything to stop you from using these works as credits in your bio? Do you have a contract from the company specifying what you were to do? Are you in some way not specified as the author, writer, or ghostwriter?

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Wiseman55, you self-published the first history book, did you not? I don't think anybody will think it is anything other than your own.

As to the second book, i echo scope's questions above.

sugarlit

Lit from within
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sugarlit.com
Your involvement in this big project at such a young age will help your career, not damage it. The presence of your dad's name will add credibility to the book, and to you as well. It sends a message to potential clients: that your dad thinks so highly of you, he was willing to associate his name and business with your book. If the book sells, you can say you were a part of it -- which would be the truth. That, you can add to your resume.

You may be focusing too much on phantom problems associated with this project, instead of concentrating on the great opportunity here. Think about the people who will see your 2nd book and say, "Wow, this person was the author of this book...he must be incredibly bright," etc. And since your dad's name is on it, they'll be even more curious to read it. That won't damage your career, it will just make people curious to learn more about you. Curiosity often translates into sales.

When your book does come out, I would like to read it, so please add me to your mailing list if you have one (as I follow the gold industry for investing purposes). Good luck!

Wiseman55

Registered
Reaction score
Website
apeopleshistoryflorida.tripod.com
Maybe I should have made myself a little more clear. My father is potentially vindictive. Although he is proud of me for putting out my first book, he is also very competitive (yes, even with his own children). He had made an attempt some years back to write his own novel, but was only able to put down three chapters before giving up. While he seems partially excited for me, I can tell that there is some sort of jealousy in the tone of his voice. Also, he prefers that his children continue to depend on him. That one of his kids has already started to make it on their own by the age of 21 urks him. So the idea that he could potentially undermine my writing career is not very far out. The added aspect of vindictiveness is what makes it a little unsettling.

Also, my name is going on the book as the main author. My father's name will go down as the secondary author. Maybe I am being paranoid, but take this into consideration: when I had recently published this book, I needed somebody to do an about the author for me. My dad promised to get a PR firm for me and he offered to do the "about the author" section. The only problem was that his passage was absolutely awful. I respectfully turned down his offer to do the "about the author" after reading what he had wrote and then he went back on his promise to help me out. After failing to put out his own book, he seems like he exploiting this opportunity to have his name on something now that his own son is an author. Its a vicarious nightmare.

Last edited:

sugarlit

Lit from within
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sugarlit.com
Maybe I should have made myself a little more clear. My father is potentially vindictive. Although he is proud of me for putting out my first book, he is also very competitive (yes, even with his own children). He had made an attempt some years back to write his own novel, but was only able to put down three chapters before giving up. While he seems partially excited for me, I can tell that there is some sort of jealousy in the tone of his voice. Also, he prefers that his children continue to depend on him. That one of his kids has already started to make it on their own by the age of 21 urks him. So the idea that he could potentially undermine my writing career is not very far out. The added aspect of vindictiveness is what makes it a little unsettling.

Also, my name is going on the book as the main author. My father's name will go down as the secondary author. Maybe I am being paranoid, but take this into consideration: when I had recently published this book, I needed somebody to do an about the author for me. My dad promised to get a PR firm for me and he offered to do the "about the author" section. The only problem was that his passage was absolutely awful. I respectfully turned down his offer to do the "about the author" after reading what he had wrote and then he went back on his promise to help me out. After failing to put out his own book, he seems like he exploiting this opportunity to have his name on something now that his own son is an author. Its a vicarious nightmare.
Sounds like the real issue here is your relationship with your dad. If you're not comfortable working with him, then don't do it. Doesn't matter what he thinks...you're an adult, and you're free to do whatever you want with your career. If he can't respect that, then that's his issue.

Why not talk to him about it?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think this will hurt your career, even if some people don't believe you. It's possible it won't open doors for you, but it won't hurt anything. For one thing, it is good practice to write. I'm hoping he's paying you good money for it. I figure most people will think your father is too busy to write a book and they will believe that you are the real author.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Absolutely not! Nobody will have any idea what age you were when you wrote your history book, unless you chose to include that information in the book itself. Authors do joint works all the time with others, including spouses or family members. I've never seen anybody question the legitimacy of another of any author's works just because they worked on a project with a family member.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, just saw your added info about your dad. That sucks that he's that way, but I understand. I have family members who are the same.

You always have the option of choosing a pen name to protect your identity on future books. Your dad doesn't have to know what your pen name is.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Also, my name is going on the book as the main author. My father's name will go down as the secondary author.

As a lawyer, I see no distinction there. In copyright law, there is no such thing as a "main author" vs. a "secondary author"; legally, you are joint authors, co-authors, with equal rights. The only way around that is a written contract under which one author grants some or all of his rights to the other author.

I think what you are experiencing here is not really a question of writing career/ghost writing/etc. It's simply a question of family dynamics and your ability to become independent from your father. It sounds like your father is trying to make it more difficult for you to become independent than it needs to be. That's too bad, but you know, that's the hand you were dealt; given the way he operates, it may simply be impossible for you to become independent WITH HIS BLESSING, so you just need to gear yourself up for becoming independent without his blessing. That's your task. Forging your own path as a writer is one way to do that. Writing things by yourself, without his contribution or his name on it, and not accepting his help (e.g. the PR stuff), sounds like an important step. I mean an important step for you personally, as an adult, as well as an important step for you as a writer.

missteddy16

Registered
Reaction score
... my dad's name is also going down on this history of gold book, do you think this could possibly damage my career? Do you think people will believe my dad had actually ghostwritten both books and just put my name on the title?

I would think that if your name appeared above his on the title, people would be more apt to assume that you did the bulk of the work. Especially if this could be alluded to in some way (in websites, in the acknowledgments, in the foreword, in interviews, whatever).

A writing credit is a writing credit. You don't have to specify that you were a co-author, you just have to provide the publisher and date of publication.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
The problems you've outlined just can't be solved here. The situation is too complicated and bogged down by the family relationship. Any niggling doubts readers may have over writing credits and contributions are always going to be muddied by the book's origin, since your father's company is paying you to write it. Different if this were a totally independent effort you had control over... in which case I'd be suggesting you dump the graphs/charts and commentary, and strike your father's name from the cover. But it's not. Best you can hope for here is to spell out your father's limited contribution clearly ("Afterword by...") rather than suggest there's a shared co-author credit.

-Derek

Catadmin

An Author in Search of a Plot
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandietarvin.net
Technically, Ghostwriting is when your name doesn't appear on the book at all. You're paid to write the book for someone else and that someone else's name appears on the cover.

I know several authors who have made quite a bit of money ghostwriting and can claim it on their resume to agents & editors. It's never hurt them. Though usually they have to provide proof (like a snippet of the contract) if using that factor to negotiate terms on something.

As everyone before me has said, the question you're asking is more a family-dynamic / co-author question rather than a true ghostwriting question. Honestly, I'm not sure any of us are qualified to help you with that problem.

Storyfixer

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyfix.com
As someone who's been there, here's my advice: ghostwrite the hell out of non-fiction stuff. Most non-fiction out there, even the big names, have been written by someone else who isn't on the title. As for fiction... ghostwriting is like surrogute mothering... who do you want the reader to fall in love with? Who's art ignites the ensuing career? No amount of money can make it right if your art goes into someone else' career bank.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I am a 21-year old author who recently put out a 586-page nonfiction history book, something very few people in my age category have done as far I know. Most people don't believe it actually.... So, considering most people can't believe a 21-year old could write the history book that I did, and my dad's name is also going down on this history of gold book, do you think this could possibly damage my career?...

Dude, your dad's name isn't the problem. Putting your book out through CreateSpace is what'll damage your career.

I strongly suggest withdrawing it, and submitting it to non-fiction publishers who handle similar material. Many commercial non-fiction presses don't require agents. In every case, though, submit in 100% compliance with their guidelines.

And when the book on gold is finished, if your father's company isn't publishing it as a promotional give-away, I suggest again finding a commercial publisher. Start at the top and work down.

Status
Not open for further replies.