William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
CONCORD, N.H. (AP) -- New Hampshire legislators approved a measure Wednesday that would make the state the sixth to allow gay marriage, and Gov. John Lynch said he would sign it later in the afternoon.

He had promised a veto if the law didn't clearly spell out that churches and religious groups would not be forced to officiate at gay marriages or provide other services.

The Senate passed the measure Wednesday, and the House -- where the outcome was more in doubt -- followed later in the day. The House gallery erupted in cheers after the 198-176 vote.

''If you have no choice as to your sex, male or female; if you have no choice as to your color; if you have no choice as to your sexual orientation; then you have to be protected and given the same opportunity for life, liberty and happiness,'' Rep. Anthony DiFruscia, R-Windham, said during the hourlong debate.

New Hampshire's law takes effect Jan. 1. Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maine, Vermont and Iowa already allow gay marriage, though Maine opponents hope to overturn that state's law with a public vote.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/06/03/us/AP-US-XGR-Gay-Marriage-New-Hampshire.html?_r=2&hp

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching and waiting all day for this news (I wanted to be in New Hampshire for the vote but couldn't). This is such good news! Thank you!

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
while not specifically related to new hampshire, here's an interesting gallup poll which points the way to full marriage equality for gays... namely, coming out.

6a00d83451c45669e2011570b1f019970b-500wi

andrew sullivan said it well, in my view:

If gays are really serious about marriage rights, they need to accelerate the process of coming out. It's not often that a minority group has this option - African-Americans don't. But gays, like Jews, can "pass", and by passing, we don't even give many people the option of changing their minds and hearts by better understanding who we are, and why our relationships and families strengthen society rather than weakening it.

Yes, donate and campaign and blog. But for all of those of you out there who are gay and do none of this, one simple political act can do much more: let your family, friends and co-workers know who you are. If you don't, please quit complaining about your lack of civil rights.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I've said it in other threads. A significant number of legislators who changed their votes from against to for gay marriage reported that meeting with gay families was a factor.

I thought this was fun:

A few weeks ago, when gay marriage supporters rallied outside the New Hampshire Statehouse, the loudspeaker blared "We Shall Overcome." Wednesday, after the Legislature approved a gay marriage bill, the tune was "Walking on Sunshine."

Supporters lined the Statehouse plaza, applauding and thanking lawmakers as they left.

Cheesy music and gratitude. I love it. I can't wait to see happy couples and their kids and families and friends gather for long-awaited marriage ceremonies.

And just to make it official, Gov. Lynch has now signed.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
Excellent, it is good to see another state to the right thing.

However, this

''If you have no choice as to your sex, male or female; if you have no choice as to your color; if you have no choice as to your sexual orientation; then you have to be protected and given the same opportunity for life, liberty and happiness,'' Rep. Anthony DiFruscia, R-Windham, said during the hourlong debate.

could lead to an interesting legal challenge if it is proven that orientation is a choice.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting.:
The law will establish civil and religious marriage licenses and allow each party to the marriage to be identified as bride, groom or spouse. Same-sex couples already in civil unions will automatically be assumed to have a "civil marriage."

Churches will be able to decide whether to conduct religious marriages for same-sex couples. Civil marriages would be available to both heterosexual and same-sex couples.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
in my opinion, this is the way to do it. no matter how narrow-minded one might find many churches' views on this, they should not be compelled to perform ceremonies that they have a moral objection to.

such a distinction could make a difference in california:

"Opinion on marriage for same-sex couples in California is almost evenly divided, with opponents holding a 1% to 2% edge, according to a new voter survey conducted for The Poll4Equality Coalition.

"When asked, 'Do you strongly favor, somewhat favor, somewhat oppose, or strongly oppose allowing same-sex couples to be legally married,' 47% say favor and 48% say oppose. Support for any given ballot measure will depend on the specific language of that measure. For example, results show that support increases if the language specifically includes a provision that says no clergy will be required to perform a service that goes against their faith.

http://wockner.blogspot.com/2009/06/reporters-ejected-from-meet-in-middle.html

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's great, but still not surprised.

I'll be impressed when, say, Alabama approves it.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
in my opinion, this is the way to do it. no matter how narrow-minded one might find many churches' views on this, they should not be compelled to perform ceremonies that they have a moral objection to.

such a distinction could make a difference in california:

http://wockner.blogspot.com/2009/06/reporters-ejected-from-meet-in-middle.html
I'm all for the religious protections language, which is the part I knew about. But it sounds like the NH government is now issuing two types of marriage licenses (if I'm reading the part I quoted correctly), one civil and one religious. The government issuing a religious marriage license? That's not the same as simply having religious protections in the bill. There could be some issues here.

I have to look into this more.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I salute you, New Hampshire!

Only 44 more to go!

Wait, wait, wait...

How can there be 50 odd states if California makes up almost 95% of the union? The other states would have to be REALLY REALLY small...

I could have sworn it went California, Washington DC somewhere back there, Florida stuck to the butt end, and Alaska hanging from the top of California like a hat...