Just Hit Send - June 2009

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Wow. Can you believe with this month, the year is almost half over?

I know, I know. Hush up, Jen.

But if I do that, I can't post my goals, now, can I? :)

My goals for the month:
  • Query $80/day with NO carry-overs.
  • Send article ideas to my editor at 4HEALTH magazine.
  • Write/submit assignments from 4HEALTH.
  • Send pitches for June to TutorialBlog and do assignments from them.
  • Send 3 book-related submissions to agents/publishers.
  • Update all blogs at least 2x a week
  • 2 Bukisa, eHow, & Demand Studios articles a week
  • Expand submissions to include national magazines since I want to get into at least one this year.
  • Update my websites.
  • Finish & submit article for WritingForDollars.com.
  • Write 4-5 5-6 devotions a week for DEVOTED TO CREATING.
I bumped up the number of devotions a week. Right now, I have 14 done with verse, prayer, and creativity tip. With four weeks in June, I can get at least 16 more done. I'm hoping to get this done by the end of July, so I might actually need to make that 5-6 a week.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Great goals, Jen! I am bowing out of June JHS. I still plan to query some and do a few DS articles (enough to pay for groceries each week), but there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to get everything done. Just found out the kid we hired to move water won't be able to. His mom is sending him to Phoenix for the summer. So that leaves me to do it, plus the swathing, and the baling, and the feeding, not to mention running for parts, dealing with all the other town stuff, and all the home stuff.

Gosh that sounds whiney! I hope the month goes fast!

Have a good one, all. See you in July!

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey JenNips ....it also means Christmas time is right around the corner....... OMG!.....

Is it time to panic yet??? lol

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Here are my goals for June, I might add more later:

1. Write 10 articles to put on Constant Content. Last month I wrote a lot and sold a lot and just got paid and let's say I am highly motivated :)

2. Write and submit 4 articles for magazines.

3. 10,000 words of novel.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Scriptor - Christmas? Oh, hush up! lol

Raven - definitely not whiny. You've got loads of stuff going on there, girl. But you don't need me telling you that. :)

Arisa - Welcome to the JHS crew! Looks like some good goals to me. :)

In a bit more May wrap-up news.... I got a rejection from another agent on Confessions of a Fat Chick. It still sounds like I'm on the right track, though.

rljude

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

Here I am bravely stepping into the water.

My writing partner and I just completed a middle school textbook supplement of about 240 pages that we have been working on, in one form or another, for three years. The last of the page proofs are gone and we are awaiting the actual printing in July.

So, now I am ready to get back to some of the writing I have wanted to do for so long. I will be trying to squeeze in the following goals in addition to a very full-time job. But since I am on vacation this week, I thought it would be a great way to start. So here goes....hope I can reach them. Thanks for your support!

• Work on YA novel in progress – add 30 pages
  • Write and submit two short romances to Woman’s World (have successfully been published there once)
  • Study mini-mystery format for Woman’s World, write and submit one story
  • Apply to Demand Studios
  • Begin to develop personal website
  • Learn about blogging and endeavor to do a guest blog somewhere
  • Submit three queries for non-fiction shorts or articles.

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Just adding my good lucks, best wishes, welcomes, congrats, and etc.

Sorry about the rejection Jen, but it sounds like you've got an idea of where you're headed with it. Keep us posted so we can cheer when you get it accepted :D

*slinking off back into my corner to watch**

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Hey! No slinking allowed. lol. Unless, of course, you're a Slinky spring toy.

I haven't decided who to send it to next, but that will be done by the end of the day.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Great goals, Jen! I am bowing out of June JHS. I still plan to query some and do a few DS articles (enough to pay for groceries each week), but there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to get everything done. Just found out the kid we hired to move water won't be able to. His mom is sending him to Phoenix for the summer. So that leaves me to do it, plus the swathing, and the baling, and the feeding, not to mention running for parts, dealing with all the other town stuff, and all the home stuff.

Gosh that sounds whiney! I hope the month goes fast!

Have a good one, all. See you in July!

Raven, You don't sound whiny at all. I give you so much credit for what you do! See you in Sept-- I mean July! :D

I'm getting back in the swing of freelance and have a few good prospects.

on tap for this month:
focus on getting some more quick easy seo gigs
blog 3 X weekly for BOL
2 X weekly for both my other blogs

Immediate assignments:
Story for S&C to be done friday
30 keyword articles to be done this weekend
Paintball Sports story to be done this weekend
Press release for new client
Another newsletter/brochure for ACA India. I am really liking the missionary work, honestly. Wonderful people. :)

Continue taking my course: www.thesecretabundancefiles.com

That's been pretty intensive but i feel like it will be well worthwhile. :)

Dawn

Last edited:

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Okay, I've been absent for a month, but I'm forcing myself back it to ratchet up my guilt level for neglected my freelancing. I've been keeping busy with Demand Studio and Examiner, as well as a big web project and my other businesses, so at least I haven't been lazy.

I'm off to a good start for June, even without make an effort. A magazine is buying one of my Examiner articles, and I just got an assignment from Animal Wellness. Now I just need to get my butt into gear doing 3-5 queries a week this month.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Ink, It's good to see you back in these parts. Raven, you can't slink off. I know you have to stop running around and take time to breathe every now and then, so you can come see us then and you'll be ready to hit the ground running in. . .whatever next month is.

Dawn, well, I just can't keep up with you--that's nothing new. And welcome rljudge. Glad to have you along for the ride!

It's turning out that this year does not resemble my goal list AT ALL. So I'm pegging away doggedly at my WIP and concentrating on keeping the blog posts going. Speaking of which, there's a new one up tonight. It shouldn't be so hard to get a kid to cut the grass.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I need to add something to my goals list... visit Amy's blog whenever she updates. I haven't been doing a lot of reading other than research lately and I definitely miss Amy's posts... I may have to sit for hours and read everything I missed!

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
just had to share - hubby bought me a '67 Mercedes! I do love that man! Totally not writing related, I know, but ... it's a Mercedes!

glad to see you back Ink! Congrats on the pick up with the examiner peice and good luck with the Animal Wellness assignment.

Jen - did you end off Confessions again yet?

Just because i'm taking the month off doesn't mean I'm not going to be around to bug ya'll :tongue It might become my new favorite pasttime :D

Off to bed for me. The bunchkin has a dance recital tomorrow night and I just spent 6 hours sitting through the dress rehearsal. I'm convince3d I have been punished for something - i'm just not sure waht yet. Night all!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
6 hour dress rehearsal??? What on earth type of performance could warrant a SIX HOUR dress rehearsal? LOL I thought dress rehearsals implied, "Everything's almost perfect, we're doing a real-time run-through."

And if the performance is six hours -- Sending sympathy your way! LOL

Dawn

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
lol, thanks i'll take it! They had 44 group dances to go through (not counting the 29 pre-show solos and duets that they didn't rehearse last night!) and her dance group was number 17 and number 34. We left right after her last dance and they still had ten more to do! I am hoping the old saying holds true - a bad dress rehearsal means a top notch show.

Today I am off to buy my 6-year-old make-up for the recital. She was the only one not wearing any yesterday and I got told she needed to so the lights didn't make her look washed out. And yes, I already have about three or four articles working in my head over this whole thing. i've got a month to work out the bugs and send things out :D

Amy - yep, he'll go before the car will. We're picking it up today since yesterday didn't go as smoothly as planned.

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Amy, I can totally relate to the total change in goals. But hey, as long as you're writing it's all good.

Raven, did you perhaps anger a gypsy, hee hee?

Jen, did you get it out today?

I'm going to put out a call for an expert for the AW article today (I want to scare up a big-city veterinarian for a quote, so I'm going to use Help a Report Out). I'd like to get out a query too and I need to send out a batch of invoices. Between that and some travel agency & counseling work, I should be plenty busy today.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Raven--
Which level of hell would that be, then? LOL

ETA: @Amy - you can put the query-sending whip away. I found some good parenting markets and sent out the query. :) The other one is currently on the virtual desktop of Bicycling magazine's editor. I went w/ a regional parenting pub though (not my region) just because the editor seemed really cool. :) Someone I'd like to work with, and I really am looking for another steady gig from an editor who will send me work, not just a one-off thing... although I wouldn't mind a one-off at a buck a word or something. :D

Dawn

Last edited:

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Raven - congrats on the car and the article ideas. :)
Amy - where have you been my darling!? I've missed you.
Ink - Glad to see you back here. And congrats on selling the Examiner article. I didn't know we could do that! Did someone see it and ask you for the article?
Arisa81 - great to see you around. :)
rljude - thanks for joining the JHS madness/support group.
jen - keep up the great work. :)
Cat - way to go on sending out that query. I sent one out yesterday and received a response. Sent a follow-up email and am waiting for further instructions.

Here are June's Writing Goals:

1. Post twice a week each at FW, Examiner and my portfolio. Hoping to keep up the great work at my examiner articles.
2. Post at least three times daily at Momslikeme.com.
3. Finally finish this stupid third assignment. Still thinking of an easy article to write. maybe that's the problem.
4. Maintain contact with my writer buds.
5. Apply for more writing jobs. Applied for one and got a bite. Waiting for writing instructions.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Amy - where have you been my darling!? I've missed you.

That is so exactly what I needed to hear today. You are a dear. Good luck on that query. You've been working like a bear! (I've been hard at work redirecting all my goals. It's been a crazy year!)

Okay, Dawn, I've hung up the whip. But don't think I can't find it in a split infinitive if we need it again! You're doing great!

Last edited:

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Ink - Glad to see you back here. And congrats on selling the Examiner article. I didn't know we could do that! Did someone see it and ask you for the article?
Examiner takes first rights, so we are free to resell the pieces. Yep, the mag contacted me. I've worked with them before; they're bought pieces from my blog, but this is the first time they've taken something from Examiner.

jmarz01

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all. I hope this is a good place to step out of lurkdom. :)

May was a very busy month for me and my husband is taking some vacation time next week, so June is going to be pretty light. My goals:

1. Complete corporate powerpoint/speechwriting project (I've got about 35 hours sunk into it already, and it will probably take 10-15 more)
2. Complete one full report for ConsumerSearch.
3. Write one article and figure out something to do with it.
4. Complete any other corporate assignments/scriptwriting projects that come my way.
5. Complete revision #3 of novel.