• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Open Book Press

MartyKay

Sockpuppet Hunter
Registered
Reaction score
Website
martykay.blogspot.com
Well... this doesn't look good:

SUBMISSIONS
Open Book Press accepts submissions for any type of book in any genre, be it fiction, graphic novel, non-fiction or anything else, but we only accept FULLY FINISHED books. This means that your sci-fi novel or historical biography must be completely finished and complete. If you are submitting a graphic novel writing, art, inking, and lettering must be finished. Coloring is optional for graphic novels, but if you really want it in color you should send it that way too. We do not pay any advances of any kind for creators to finish their work or for any other reason. This is because of the high rate of royalties which we pay back out and because of the risk we take in often publishing unknown writers and creators.
(my italics)

Now, IANAPW (I Am Not A Published Writer :) ) but isn't that umm... wrong?

And I really like the links that go to a blog hosting site for some of the pages. Nice.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
I love the way that they want to sell a submission guide for .99c

A guide for Pros and rookies alike. Detailed info on how to get your creative work published by Open Book Press. This book will walk you through step, by step how to get your book or comic published and how it all works at the publisher that is "Making the World Safe for New Ideas".

No ego there, no sirree...

Oh, and from the looks of it, they're POD based. Very expensive prices for comics, one hell of a set up fee (possibly not with Open Book itself, but definitely with their printer), and all order fulfilment from http://www.booksurgepublishing.com. Looks to me like a well-meaning, but ultimately bad idea. I'd avoid. It's one of those where I just don't see any advantage over using someone like CP/Lulu/Kinkos and doing the marketing yourself - especially since you have to provide a finished book in the first place.

Last edited:

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.

I've sent them a detailed lists of question precipitated by my experience with P.A.

I'll post any e-mail reply here.

Ken

Deleted member 42

As a general rule of thumb regarding agent and publisher web sites: If the copy is poorly edited and written, as is the case with Open Book, stay away.

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to all.

The replies from them as to my questions. I thought answers somewhat vague.

Dear Mr. Schneider

Here are the answers to your questions.

• Yes and No, I say this because we are a fully functioning publishing house with advertising departments, production mangers and etc. However, we like to think we give a more personal touch to our projects. We always take time to answer writer and artists needs. Also, we are different because we offer authors a much higher rate of royalties, usually 40-50% in most cases.

• Yes, our books are available in Barnes and Nobles and other book retailers. If you do not see our merchandise, please request in at your local store.

• Open Book Press handles all advertising for our products, however; we always encourage authors to contact local media telling them about their book.

• Comic are 6” X 9” for black and white and 7” X 10” for color. Our hard cover novels are also 6” X 9” and are roughly about 200 pages.

• Prices vary from project to project.

If you have any other questions, visit www.openbookpress.com and pick up a copy of “How To Get Published The Open Book Press Way.” This will answer a lot of your questions

Chris Campanozzi

Open Book Press.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Weird

B&W comics and Color comics are printed the same size, normally. Retailers that use racks don't have different sized racks for different types of comics (unless you're talking about the manga (digest)-sized books.

This sounds shady to me.
emoticonbox.gif

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
There looks to be some expertise here in comics, but publishing comics or even graphic novels is not much like publishing books.

I agree that the "distribution" through Booksurge is a bad sign--Booksurge is like a cut-rate Lightning Source, with a poor reputation for quality and reliability. In the publisher's reply to changling, note the use of the word "available". That's POD-speak for "these books won't be stocked unless the author gets a store manager to agree."

Also, from one of Open Book's initial press releases:
Writers, artists, and creators from all walks of life are excited at the news of the launch of Open Book Press. The reason these people are excited is because the company promises to be the first publisher to offer new and unknown talented creators the chance to have their work published and distributed worldwide, and to share in a much larger portion of the sales royalties than offered by any other publisher.
Where have we seen that before? Every POD-based publisher from iUniverse to PublishAmerica uses this kind of "new paradigm" verbiage. At best it's naive. At worst, it's deceptive.

- Victoria

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Check the New or Definitions page in P&E on Wednesday. Thanks for the wonderful term that I'm adding.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of the above press - good or bad. Would like to know. Thanks very much.

Hugs, Susie;)

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Cao, Thanks very much for the helpful link. Very interesting. Most appreciated. I probably won't sign with them.

PS I sent them an email on 6/13 regarding the contract they sent me with lots of questions and haven't received a reply. I don't think I will either. Very glad I didn't sign with them!

Warm regards, Susie:)

Last edited:

Atomic Bear

the Bruin of Tomorrow™
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atomicbearpress.com
Open Book Press/Smash Comics!!

I am researching publishers for my Graphic Novel and I was wondering if anyone has as any informaiton/experience/knowlege on Open Book Press. They seem to publish non-graphic novel titles as well.

Link: http://www.openbookpress.com/

I found them by accident while doing some holiday shoping on Amazon when I found there book on self publishing: http://www.amazon.com/How-Published-Open-Book-Press/dp/0973571640/sr=1-9/qid=1164752294/ref=sr_1_9/103-6271518-8868642?ie=UTF8&s=books

The book seems to be only how to publish a book with them, and mentions booksurge for printing. AND the preview seems to have some formating issues that they have not fixed.

In the book sample they all so mention their imprint SMASH COMICS! http://www.smashcomics.ca/

they also have merged with: http://www.darkdanceproductions.com/

My first reaction is there is a lack of focus in their marketing with two many idenitys and markets (novels, graphic novels, screen plays, etc). They also had one review quoted with no name to go with it which makes me wary.

Your thougths.

soloset

'bye
Registered
Reaction score
Not really my field and I'm no expert, but I can tell you my general impressions.

The submissions page is riddled with errors and not particularly well-written.

The publishing industry is a very competitive realm. Consequently, to assure the quality of standard of publication, we at Open Book Press do look forward to your submissions with the following rules strictly adhered to. Distribution and retail standards have become very tight. If you believe that you have a great story and art that is equal or better than what is on the bookstore shelve then Open Book Press is anxious to see your submission.

From the Children's Books page:

Annoucement to Children's Book Writer's

They claim to be a member of SPAN, the Small Publishers Association of North America. I've never heard of it, myself.

The release form for submissions makes me uncomfortable. The terms and conditions for the website contains a clause that I, for one, would never ever agree to. And the link to it is buried in the footer, in a very, very tiny font.

Notwithstanding the above, Participant hereby waives any and all rights to any stories, ideas, drawings, opinions, and any other creative "materials" posted to the DDP site. Participant authorizes DDP to utilize, in any manner it sees fit and for eternity, the materials posted on the site, which shall become the property of DDP.

Sure, it's probably moot, since I don't even see a place for someone to upload information, but it's still unnecessarily grabby. The whole tone of the site strikes me as suspicious to the point of paranoia.

Maybe that's normal in the graphic novel business, I dunno.