If MC Name is Johannes, Can I Nickname Him Johnny?

penny manning

Alive and Kicking
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.silkcitygirlcrafts.blogspot.com
If MC's Name is Johannes, Can I Nickname Him Johnny?

Originally, my Main Character's name was Johnathon. Naturally, his nickname was Johnny.

Then I changed his name to Johannes.* I don't want to call him Johan, for short. Is it still plausible to nickname him Johnny? Or do I have to call him Yanni or something? hahaha.

*I pronounce it with a "J" sound--can I do that? He's supposed to be part German, BTW. And the story is located in Late 18th century England.

Any thoughts and comments are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joe or Joey or John sounds like more natural nicknames for Johannes to me (at least in the US, and pronounced with a J), but it's your story, you can have him called anything you like. Maybe in school he got teased about being named Johannes and wanted to be called Johnny.

penny manning

Alive and Kicking
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.silkcitygirlcrafts.blogspot.com
Joe or Joey or John sounds like more natural nicknames for Johannes to me (at least in the US, and pronounced with a J), but it's your story, you can have him called anything you like. Maybe in school he got teased about being named Johannes and wanted to be called Johnny.

Thank you Alleycat! :)

Joe and Joey do sound very err....American. John might be a good alternative. I forgot to mention that the novel is set in late 18th century England. If that matters.

I appreciate your response.... Penny