Not open for further replies.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
Commas or not:

You can eat fruits like apples, pears, etc, or vegetables such as cauliflower or beans; they are not healthy for everyone, though.

Should I use commas before: like, such as, etc, though...

Also - is it etc or etc. ?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
In North America, etc. requires the period. Peronally, I prefer to use the English "and so on."

With regard to the comma question, it depends on the sentence. If the clause beginning with the word "like" is parenthetical, that is, not essential to meaning of the sentence, set it off with commas. If it's dependent, that is, part of the sentence, no commas are required.

Fruits, like apples, kiwis and bananas, are great sources of vitamin C.
<commas required>

I enjoy fruits like apples, kiwis and bananas.
<commas not required>

Ludka

Hath more hair than wit
Registered
Reaction score
Also, there's no hard and fast rule for this, but I prefer to use a comma before the "and" when stringing together a list.

For instance, I would say that I like apples, oranges, kiwis, and bananas.

Others write it like Caro, without the comma.

Neither is more correct than the other.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. There's lots of places you can go (including in this very forum) to debate the merits (or problems) with the Oxford, aka serial, comma. I use it in my technical writing because ambiguity is NEVER okay in tech writing. I only use it in my regular writing (journalistic, fiction, and so on) if it's in the house style guide or if there's ambiguity in the sentence.

boron

Health writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.healthhype.com
If the clause beginning with the word "like" is parenthetical, that is, not essential to meaning of the sentence, set it off with commas. If it's dependent, that is, part of the sentence, no commas are required.

Fruits, like apples, kiwis and bananas, are great sources of vitamin C.
<commas required>

I enjoy fruits like apples, kiwis and bananas.
<commas not required>

So, when "like" explains the word furtherly, like above, it should be preceded by a comma, and when it serves like a start of a list, no comma is needed...

A, b, and c, or a, b and c...do these two different rules have something with UK vs. Americal English?

Also, in the list of two things: Fruits like appleas and pears are...there's never a comma, right?

What about though?

Status
Not open for further replies.