I need you all to catch me up on technology....

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
We have some summer interns in our office this year, and we were talking to one of them and hearing him talk made me realize that I am grossly outdated with today's technology and gadgets (he told me that anything with an "i" in front of it is made by Mac, and I told him I didn't know that, and he asked me if I'd been living in a cave :roll:. Made me feel old, and I am only 27.)

So, the only technology I make use of is laptops, an mp3 player, cell phone, and a DVD player.

In this thread, you will inform me of other great techno gadgets that exist out there so that I can catch up and enjoy some myself. :D

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
You're old? Well, I'm 38 and when I was in college we had a Mac Lab, that is, a room full of Macintosh Classics. That's what I learned on. The internet was a "new thing" in the 90s, too.

So I'm old, too. Older, in fact. I do have an iPod and know it's a Mac product. It is compatible with my PC, I know that much. But I'm so old that my iPod has a black and white screen.

Other technology? I wouldn't know. I'm lucky I have a cell phone. But I do have satellite radio, which I love.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
The speed with which technology changes now has people feeling old at 27?

I'm glad I'm actually old.

som1luvsmi

My brother loves me thiiis much! :)
Registered
Reaction score
About a block away from the nuthouse...they've sta
Website
randomlyabstract.blogspot.com
Well... let's see:
the iphone: PDA, email, games, music, phone and massive amounts of downloadable applications(I have the ipod Touch, which is the same thing w/o the phone capabilities, and just downloaded a pedometer for when I go jogging. So awesome.)

the Smartcar: little car that has really good gas mileage and is electric, I think.

HDTV/DVR: once you watch tv in high def, you'll never go back, my friend. Digital video recording allows you to record all your fave shows and enjoy at your convienience.

Playstation w/ Blueray: the ultimate in gaming AND it plays Blueray DVD's. Which are the new high tech DVD's.

the Hoverboard Okay. now I'm just messin with you. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In this thread, you will inform me of other great techno gadgets that exist out there so that I can catch up and enjoy some myself. :D

Ooh. I like the forceful attitude. Makes me perk right up.

Today's technohead would be nowhere without an 8-Track tape player. If you don't have one, you might as well be living in the god-damned prairies plucking corn outta yer ass.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I remember MacIntoshes - with the black screen and green cursor (I think it was green, it might have been yellow)

We had Pong when I was a kid. Pong. A dot you batted across the screen. And it enthralled us for hours... A dot. Back. And. Forth. And. Back. And. Forth.

LorelieBrown

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, if you want to make the intern look like a jackass, you could point out that not "everything" with an I in front of it's from Mac. There's boat-load of products that're either accessories made to go *with* Mac products, or rip-off type things.

As for other gadgets -

Netbooks -super tiny laptops that're around 2 lbs (I adore my Acer Aspire One)

Kindle - Amazon's e-book reader

Sony Reader - another e-book reader. The 505 seems to be the most popular model

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
My last day of high school (in journalism) they brought in the new mac that they were going to use for next year to do the newspaper. It had a teeny tiny little screen up in the middle of this chunk of plastic. I guess it was the commodore? I didn't bother looking at it - I didn't think that thing was ever gonna be useful for anything (she said, typing on her bitchin' new imac 22" flatscreen)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Hell, sonny, I'm 55 and I knew about iPod! Hie thee to a BestBuy and look around!

Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. ;) Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup. Not even kidding. Just because people don't know how much these things are worth.)

Also, don't forget GPS tech! I'm going to cry if it fails.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. ;) Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup....

If that's the case here, then I'd hate to think what Sears is doing. The Best Buy here is always at least $200.00 less on the same big-ticket items than Sears. Cables and whatnot, I usually end up getting from Staples. They're cheapest around here.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
James, you need less instruction on technology and more instruction on learning how to smile and nod convincingly. There are things you know that the hot young interns don't know. Well, being generous of course, ;-)

One would think you'd notice a trend in all these products... iPod, iTunes, iMac, etc and either draw a logical conclusion or look it up. Try Google. It's a search engine that is one of the most used... to the point where when it goes down, people instinctively try to Google why Google is down! Heh.

Anyway, smile and nod, James, Say things like, "oh, yeah, yeah. I'm waiting to get one of those." Then, scurry to the internet and look up what said item or term means. I'm a total square, but I know just about every slang term there is for marijuana. I learned it because my students think they're so much smarter than the teachers... I like to give them a little smack down in that department. The internet is a POWERFUL tool... there's all sorts of information on there. Use the Force, Luke internet, James.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joining in the 'I'm so old' declarations...

I'm so old when I did computers at University I was in the last semester before they introduced Windows :D

I'm so old that when I did computers at University you never got to see the computer. Programming was in COBOL and FORTRAN (pre DOS), and you used a machine made by IBM to punch holes in cards to run through the computer. The computer was as big as a house, and buried in the third basement of the computer sciences building for temperature control. You gave your stack of punched cards to a grad student and came back a couple of days later to get a print out on that big green lined paper to see if you had made any errors when doing the punching.

And I'm with OFG, Best Buy rules. Ours is great.

MM

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry Race, but that little gadget wouldn't last a day in this house.

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, at least I don't have to answer when my mom says "what time is it?" for the 1000th time...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
what time is it?

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I'm so old that when I did computers at University you never got to see the computer. Programming was in COBOL and FORTRAN (pre DOS), and you used a machine made by IBM to punch holes in cards to run through the computer. The computer was as big as a house, and buried in the third basement of the computer sciences building for temperature control. You gave your stack of punched cards to a grad student and came back a couple of days later to get a print out on that big green lined paper to see if you had made any errors when doing the punching.

And I'm with OFG, Best Buy rules. Ours is great.

MM

Okay, you win :D