AW is an Amazon Affiliate

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

paypal subscribe button

How To Support AW

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need you all to catch me up on technology....

Hybrid View

I need you all to catch me up on technology....

We have some summer interns in our office this year, and we were talking to one of them and hearing him talk made me realize that I am grossly outdated with today's technology and gadgets (he told me that anything with an "i" in front of it is made by Mac, and I told him I didn't know that, and he asked me if I'd been living in a cave . Made me feel old, and I am only 27.)

So, the only technology I make use of is laptops, an mp3 player, cell phone, and a DVD player.

In this thread, you will inform me of other great techno gadgets that exist out there so that I can catch up and enjoy some myself.
    Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate. --Carl Jung

Momentary lapse of reason Sweetleaf's Avatar
    At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But with internet.
    I'd love to help you dude, but I'm older than you!

I don't even have an mp3 player. I thought I was cool ripping all my cd's to my pc
    You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Quote Originally Posted by ButtonTheCat View Post
    Fate is telling me to get writing, because the ideas are squeezing out of my brain at inconvenient moments. Like boogers.

You're old? Well, I'm 38 and when I was in college we had a Mac Lab, that is, a room full of Macintosh Classics. That's what I learned on. The internet was a "new thing" in the 90s, too.

So I'm old, too. Older, in fact. I do have an iPod and know it's a Mac product. It is compatible with my PC, I know that much. But I'm so old that my iPod has a black and white screen.

Other technology? I wouldn't know. I'm lucky I have a cell phone. But I do have satellite radio, which I love.
    -

Blog
    Facebook
    Four books at the Absolute Write Library

Currently revising: MOUNTAIN MAGIC
    Currently trying to write: SNOWED IN

Banned
    The speed with which technology changes now has people feeling old at 27?

I'm glad I'm actually old.

Hand? What hand? AW Moderator Ol' Fashioned Girl's Avatar
    Hell, sonny, I'm 55 and I knew about iPod! Hie thee to a BestBuy and look around!
    aka: OFG

My brother loves me thiiis much! :) som1luvsmi's Avatar
    About a block away from the nuthouse...they've started sending me pamphlets.
    Well... let's see:
    the iphone: PDA, email, games, music, phone and massive amounts of downloadable applications(I have the ipod Touch, which is the same thing w/o the phone capabilities, and just downloaded a pedometer for when I go jogging. So awesome.)

the Smartcar: little car that has really good gas mileage and is electric, I think.

HDTV/DVR: once you watch tv in high def, you'll never go back, my friend. Digital video recording allows you to record all your fave shows and enjoy at your convienience.

Playstation w/ Blueray: the ultimate in gaming AND it plays Blueray DVD's. Which are the new high tech DVD's.

the Hoverboard Okay. now I'm just messin with you.
    ~Sarah~

"Karma's a bitch. Consider me her predecessor."

Assassin Kitteh is nobody's pet. She is a wanderer. She goes where good folks need her help. (Or where the optimal amount of mayhem can be produced.)
    Do not weep for Assassin Kitteh. She rides alone...because she must.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Fashioned Girl View Post
    Hell, sonny, I'm 55 and I knew about iPod! Hie thee to a BestBuy and look around!
    Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup. Not even kidding. Just because people don't know how much these things are worth.)

Also, don't forget GPS tech! I'm going to cry if it fails.
    Goodreads - Twitter - Website - Facebook

Courting Greta has been released into the wide world!
    I have also entered the world of self-pubbing with a short story, Christmas in the Californios, 1833.

Still plays with dolls Pagey's_Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoNightshade View Post
    Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup....
    If that's the case here, then I'd hate to think what Sears is doing. The Best Buy here is always at least $200.00 less on the same big-ticket items than Sears. Cables and whatnot, I usually end up getting from Staples. They're cheapest around here.
    "Making words believe in themselves is an art form of a kind/Grasping branches that are too weak to hold the weight of lies..." Satellite Paradiso, "Big Block."

"Music, once admitted to the soul, becomes a sort of spirit and never dies." Edward Bulwer-Lytton

My about everything except writing blog:
    http://hittycaroline.blogspot.com/

The Farm - (tentative title) - being rewritten.

Joining in the 'I'm so old' declarations...

I'm so old when I did computers at University I was in the last semester before they introduced Windows

Fate is telling me to get writing, because the ideas are squeezing out of my brain at inconvenient moments. Like boogers.

the original blond bombshell MaryMumsy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overtired View Post
    Joining in the 'I'm so old' declarations...

I'm so old when I did computers at University I was in the last semester before they introduced Windows
    I'm so old that when I did computers at University you never got to see the computer. Programming was in COBOL and FORTRAN (pre DOS), and you used a machine made by IBM to punch holes in cards to run through the computer. The computer was as big as a house, and buried in the third basement of the computer sciences building for temperature control. You gave your stack of punched cards to a grad student and came back a couple of days later to get a print out on that big green lined paper to see if you had made any errors when doing the punching.

And I'm with OFG, Best Buy rules. Ours is great.

MM
    When I'm good, I'm very good; but when I'm bad, I'm better.

That is Mae West, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMumsy View Post
    I'm so old that when I did computers at University you never got to see the computer. Programming was in COBOL and FORTRAN (pre DOS), and you used a machine made by IBM to punch holes in cards to run through the computer. The computer was as big as a house, and buried in the third basement of the computer sciences building for temperature control. You gave your stack of punched cards to a grad student and came back a couple of days later to get a print out on that big green lined paper to see if you had made any errors when doing the punching.

MM
    Okay, you win

MM
    I'm right there with you. I remember those days--I had to take the classes in the basement of the Pharmacy building at UGA.
    Jodi locuta est; causa finita est.

Untitled: 2052/60,000

blog

"No matter how little money and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich. Louis Sabin

"No one appreciates the very special genius of your conversation as the dog does." Christopher Morley

Hand? What hand? AW Moderator Ol' Fashioned Girl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoNightshade View Post
    Bolding mine... This is what dates you, OFG. Friends don't let friends get ANYTHING from BestBuy!!! (Last time we looked for something there - TV cable - there was a $50 markup. Not even kidding. Just because people don't know how much these things are worth.)

Also, don't forget GPS tech! I'm going to cry if it fails.
    But, Jo! We're here in the middle of the goddam prairie! BestBuy is usually the best buy!

MM
    Testify, Sister Mary. You and I were in the basement of Old North together, writing those programs, punching those cards, and manually debugging the bloody bastiges! GAH!tm I hate(d) FORTRAN!
    aka: OFG

You brought back some unwelcome memories. FORTRAN was one of my required courses in undergrad.

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James81 View Post
    In this thread, you will inform me of other great techno gadgets that exist out there so that I can catch up and enjoy some myself.
    Ooh. I like the forceful attitude. Makes me perk right up.

Today's technohead would be nowhere without an 8-Track tape player. If you don't have one, you might as well be living in the god-damned prairies plucking corn outta yer ass.
    **Pick up my 6th novel, the Young Adult title--- PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    CHECK OUT LIGHT NEAR THE END OF THE WORLD on AMAZON NOW!

Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 6 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I remember MacIntoshes - with the black screen and green cursor (I think it was green, it might have been yellow)

We had Pong when I was a kid. Pong. A dot you batted across the screen. And it enthralled us for hours... A dot. Back. And. Forth. And. Back. And. Forth.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    I love pong.
    **Pick up my 6th novel, the Young Adult title--- PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    CHECK OUT LIGHT NEAR THE END OF THE WORLD on AMAZON NOW!

Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 6 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

Got the hang of it, here LorelieBrown's Avatar
    Actually, if you want to make the intern look like a jackass, you could point out that not "everything" with an I in front of it's from Mac. There's boat-load of products that're either accessories made to go *with* Mac products, or rip-off type things.

As for other gadgets -

Netbooks -super tiny laptops that're around 2 lbs (I adore my Acer Aspire One)

Kindle - Amazon's e-book reader

Sony Reader - another e-book reader. The 505 seems to be the most popular model
    My first book, a 1920's set historical romance.
    My site.
    My blog.
    Yes, I'm a sheep.

For Want of Love - Complete, out to editor.
    Catch Me - SOLD! To Carina Press.
    War - Trunked at 40k out of 90k.
    Wayward One - Editing.
    Double Down - Complete at 82k out of 60k.

I'm a sparkly fairy princess! bettielee's Avatar
    My last day of high school (in journalism) they brought in the new mac that they were going to use for next year to do the newspaper. It had a teeny tiny little screen up in the middle of this chunk of plastic. I guess it was the commodore? I didn't bother looking at it - I didn't think that thing was ever gonna be useful for anything (she said, typing on her bitchin' new imac 22" flatscreen)

I have a new blog! Reading, Writing, Rithmancy
    current post:Review: The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms

Current project: CAMP NANOWRIMO! Trying to finish a Gothic Romance (this is so old it's right again

Twitter
    And please add me on Goodreads!

A dark core to every cloud Clair Dickson's Avatar
    James, you need less instruction on technology and more instruction on learning how to smile and nod convincingly. There are things you know that the hot young interns don't know. Well, being generous of course, ;-)

One would think you'd notice a trend in all these products... iPod, iTunes, iMac, etc and either draw a logical conclusion or look it up. Try Google. It's a search engine that is one of the most used... to the point where when it goes down, people instinctively try to Google why Google is down! Heh.

Anyway, smile and nod, James, Say things like, "oh, yeah, yeah. I'm waiting to get one of those." Then, scurry to the internet and look up what said item or term means. I'm a total square, but I know just about every slang term there is for marijuana. I learned it because my students think they're so much smarter than the teachers... I like to give them a little smack down in that department. The internet is a POWERFUL tool... there's all sorts of information on there. Use the Force, Luke internet, James.

Up all night to get Loki Jersey Chick's Avatar
    in the state of carefully controlled chaos
    I remember learning Basic - If/then commands... That's about the extent of my computer know-how.

I made a Best Buy clerk cry once. It was a shining moment in the history of me.
    "Growing old is inevitable. Growing up is optional." ~ scarletpeaches

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website

Banned
    You're nowhere without a sundial today.

Banned
    I'm retro extreme.

Banned
    I'm saving up for electricity.

Race

"You want weapons? We're in a library! Books! The best weapons in the world! This room's the greatest arsenal we could have - arm yourselves!"
    ~ The Doctor.

Encantada ~ Needs a beta.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast