Alternatives to PublishAmerica

H.Reilly

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you everyone who posted here. I am currently writing my second novel right now (the first I just started to find an agent for in May), and you've given me food for thought. I'm Canadian, and had never heard of Publish America before, and they undoubtedly are a company I will avoid like the plauge. I was in contact with a company that has a deal with Chapters/Indigo. I believe they would fall under the category of self publisher (as opposed to vanity publisher,) though I might be mixed up on exactly what that is. They ask for a huge sum up front (i.e. $4000), which gives editing, ISBN, yadda yadda. You also get 20 copies of your book. Oh, they also guarantee shelf space at one chapters/indigo for 16 more of your books, and a book signing experience in one location of your choice. My head is spinning, because it is so tempting to actually have my book in print and in hand. I have a chain of stores (besides the chapters/indigo thing) that will be selling and promoting my book on their website, and I feel so dejected that that is a possibility for me, that I'll probably pass up even though I haven't had any good responses from an agent. Does anyone know anything about these guys, or if this is a RUN AWAY type of situation? I know that publishers/agents are supposed to frown upon self publishing, but these guys seem to have a list of something like 20 authors on their site that have started with them and have gotten published by Scribner, Random House etc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
iUniverse is vanity, straight up. They have their own thread here, if you haven't found it already.

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW H.Reilly. Couple of things that might interest you:
agentquery.com and the preditors and editors web sites. Also, most reputable agents and publishers don't have ads online. Most that do, are either scams or vanity presses. Writer's Market guides are useful in finding agents and publishers, but are pretty expensive. (Your local library might have copies.) When you find one you're interested in, check them out here at AW in the "Beware, Recommendations and Background Check" section, and/or over at Preditors and Editors. Still not sure? Ask, because odds are good that someone here knows or has heard about them.
Best of luck to you!

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
Scary to think iUniverse is now charging 4 grand! Four thousand bucks for 20 books and ONE author signing, plus having 16 copies of your book on the shelves in ONE store?

Shame on them. That's terrible. You can do much better, H. Reilly, even if your book is not suitable for commercial publication. E-publish your book yourself, and go to Lulu to get some hardcover copies.

Four thousand dollars is a total ripoff. You can do everything they can, for far less money.

Learn how the publishing business works. Ignorance is NOT bliss, and you need to study up.

-Ann C. Crispin
Chair, Writer Beware
www.writerbeware.com

A.C. Crispin
Pirates of the Caribbean: The Price of Freedom
The prequel story
Publisher: Disney Editions

overfiend

Registered
Reaction score
IF YOU ARE FED UP WITH PUBLISHAMERICA, WHAT NEXT? Try to get your rights back? Let it ride, forget about it and concentrate on writing something new? Tell the world you’re heartbroken and never write another word?
If you are a writer or have what it takes to be a writer, quitting isn’t an option. Rejection and disappointment are an everyday part of the business.
Remember this is about you. It isn’t about PA, it isn’t about friends, family or people on a message board, it’s all about you. You must first decide what is best for you and no one else.
Here are a few points to consider:
YOU GET YOUR RIGHTS BACK, THEN WHAT? The book has been published. It’s all over the internet so you can’t keep that a secret. That means no one else will be interested in publishing it. Your options are few. You can stick the manuscript in a desk drawer and forget it. You can cannibalize it and use the basic elements to write an entirely new book.
But what if it was to be the first book in a series? You can start it again from a fresh viewpoint. It has been done many times before by writers who experiment until they find the characters and format they want to use for the long haul.
YOU CAN CHALK IT UP TO EXPERIENCE. For some people, just letting the contract run its course is the preferred option. What’s best for you and no one else? Will you be better off with the book out there even if it goes nowhere or is one of the above courses best for you? Whatever decision you arrive at will have no affect whatsoever on PublishAmerica. You may come up with a different course of action than those listed. Whatever you decide, never forget it’s all about you. Please yourself, not anyone else.

Well my book is Published by PA and not doomed because noone bought a copy and although it is all over the net, no one pays any attention anyways. when i get the rights back, my big plan is to change the name and remarket it anyhow. the book got a little limelight anyway during the first month and then it sleeps for 7 years so who remembers something about a book they never read from a vanity publisher. In most cases it is the same story

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
overfiend, I'm sorry, but you're a fool.

Allowing PA to control your intellectual property for the next 7 years and just rolling over and letting them drill you in the a$$ is not only stupid and naive, it's intellectually dishonest both with yourself and with others.

Fight them! The only way that PA is ever going to roll over and beg for mercy is if multiple writers fight them and keep them in court until the court won't have them anymore and they cry for mercy.

Too many writers just roll over and give PA control of their intellectual property until the contract period expires and then they wonder why they still can't get out of the contract (or it's automatically renewed) at the end of that period.

Fight them. If you're truly honest, fight back. Take back your rights. Do not let these dishonest, sham, wannabe publishers take your money and your property and use it as they like for 7 years. You could be dead by then. Bankrupt PA today.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FOTSGreg, I completely disagree. What is there to fight? On what basis would overfiend take PA to court? Overfiend signed a contract with PA. Yes, PA is a crappy shyster outfit who won't do squat but try and con money out of the author, but they do not breach the written, signed contract. An author cannot "take back" his rights. He can pay PA outrageous sums of money to get back his rights and cancel the contract, but I wouldn't advise that. Why pour huge amounts of time and effort into fighting a nonexistent battle?

I think overfiend is doing exactly the right thing. Inform PA that there is no desire to renew the contract, and then forget it during the 7 year contract duration. Write new, better books. Aspire to publish with proper commercial presses. When the PA contract ends, revise the book as needed and give it a second outing.

Oversight is most definitely not a fool. Oversight was conned by a pro, has learned a lesson, and has moved on. What more could be asked?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Fight them! The only way that PA is ever going to roll over and beg for mercy is if multiple writers fight them and keep them in court until the court won't have them anymore and they cry for mercy.

Most writers have signed a contract which specifies arbitration as the method of dealing with any disputes they have with PA.

Also, it's easy to exhort people to sue PA, but even if this is an option, a lawsuit is anything but easy or inexpensive. If writers choose to put their time and effort into something other than a lawsuit - such as writing another, better book - there's nothing wrong with that option.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com

Allowing PA to control your intellectual property for the next 7 years and just rolling over and letting them drill you in the a$$ is not only stupid and naive, it's intellectually dishonest both with yourself and with others.

Ahem. Rule #1 at AW: Respect Your Fellow Writer.

Calling another member 'a fool', 'stupid', 'naive', and 'intellectually dishonest' is a violation of AW Rule #1.

Also? What Unimportant said. Overfiend is doing exactly the right thing.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

There is nothing wrong with just sitting back and waiting for the contract to end. Many people don't have the energy or the time to spend trying to get their rights back. Especially if they only have a year or two left on their contract. Why not just wait it out - after sending them a registered letter informing them that you will not be renewing your contract - just incase they autorenew.

Here's a sad truth for you - PA have more money than most writers. Even if a writer did take them on, they would most certainly not be able to afford to spend as much on lawyers etc, and PA would put up a hell of a fight. Taking them to court just isn't an option for most writers.

Too many writers just roll over and give PA control of their intellectual property until the contract period expires and then they wonder why they still can't get out of the contract (or it's automatically renewed) at the end of that period.

See my points above. As for automatic renewal - this should be in the contract. If it is then you need to inform them of you intention to NOT renew - send them a letter by registered post, this needs a signature, and you will have a record of it. If it's NOT in a contract and they automatically renew and refuse to let you out of it, then it's time for a little chat with your lawyer.

Fight them. If you're truly honest, fight back. Take back your rights. Do not let these dishonest, sham, wannabe publishers take your money and your property and use it as they like for 7 years. You could be dead by then. Bankrupt PA today.

Or you could prevent yourself from developing an ulcer by chilling out a bit. There's no point in getting mad and pepped out on righteous indignation. If you want out of a PA contract then the best way to do it is to politely and patiently keep writing to them. Don't loose your temper, don't give them cannon fodder to use against you.

It's been shown over and over and over again that people who react aggressively or give PA cause for amusement will generally not get released from thier contracts because PA have more fun keeping them locked in.

allenparker

Naked Futon Guy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allenparker.net
I know that publishers/agents are supposed to frown upon self publishing, but these guys seem to have a list of something like 20 authors on their site that have started with them and have gotten published by Scribner, Random House etc.
(I know this is an old post, but I thought it important to note this. sorry)

If you look at any publisher, vanity or whatever, and they have as many books out as PA, IU, and the others, you will find published authors rising from their fire. It is a matter of odds that insures this.

If you want proof, just look on here. You will find several authors from PA who have gone on to write books and sell them to real publishers. Although I am only a minor player, others like Gravity have been published by large publishers and are stocked in stores where people will buy the books.

Just because a vanity press says they have people who have gone on to be published by the big 8 doesn't mean they had anything to do with it.

Now the real bet. Twenty people who write on bathroom walls have been published by one of the big 8. Any takers?

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Ahem.

My apologies.

In my vehemence I sometimes forget myself and step over the line.

I apologize to everyone on this thread and in ths forum (somewhat belatedly, but it's been awhile since I looked in on this thread - no matter, I did step over the line and disrespected my fellow writer).

I humbly apologize.

Prophetsnake

Registered
Reaction score
(I know this is an old post, but I thought it important to note this. sorry)

If you look at any publisher, vanity or whatever, and they have as many books out as PA, IU, and the others, you will find published authors rising from their fire. It is a matter of odds that insures this.

If this is the case, is it a good idea to take a deal with one of the small publishers when it's offered? I've had several offers on my book, one of which was from a publisher I was warned away from, and another whose authors are quite happy with the way they are treated, even if they are making very little money from their sales.

I suppose my question really is this: If I were to take the offer of one of the better of these bargain basement publishers, one with a good editing staff especially, am I better off than I would be just slogging away trying to find an agent? Are my odds of ultimately having the book taken up by a big house better this way?

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If one publisher liked your book, then so will another. If a small publisher liked your book then so will a bigger and better one.

Never start at the bottom when subbing a book. Send it to the biggest house on Publisher's Row and work your way down. Sub to publishers who have books in stores.

NEVER send a book to a publisher that has warnings against it. That could just as well be PublishAmerica.

It's got a long history of bad, but writers still ignore the facts, hoping that they will be *different* because their book is special. PA has plenty of supporters, the deluded and desperate who may think that they have no chance for real publication so they stick with it.

Which is rather like sticking with an abusive spouse, convinced no one else will want them.

Only a handful of titles that started at a small house have ever been picked up by a major publisher. Most publishers don't want reprints.

If you want to avoid this sort of hassle, shop for an agent and focus on writing.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
If this is the case, is it a good idea to take a deal with one of the small publishers when it's offered?

Here's the short answer: No.

A book that's publishable by one is publishable by many. Shoot high.

Those who rose from the fire did so despite PublishAmerica, not because of them.

Better that your book remain in your desk drawer than that you live to regret its publication.