Have you ever broken a toe?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know yet if I broke mine because it is too swollen to tell.

About two days ago I was sitting at my desk doing some work, as usual. When I went to get up out of my chair, my left foot slipped and slammed into the corner of my desk. I have a hardwood floor in this room and I was barefoot.

The third toe of my left foot got crunched something awful. I haven't felt pain like that in a long time. The pain shot up my leg and it hurt so bad that I felt like I was going to throw up.

The good thing is, it doesn't hurt anymore. It is completely numb. I also invented two new cuss words but saying them just doesn't do anything for me now like they did at the time.

The color of my toe and foot is real interesting. I saw a toe this color once when I twisted one off a person because it was necrotic and about to fall off anyway.

My husband reminds me, very often, that I am dangerous to my own health. So I'm a klutz. I guess there are worse things to be.

Gehanna

Inspired

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't, but had a good friend who did.

It sounds like you did break it. I'd keep putting ice on it, get an x-ray, or at least splint it, so it doesn't heal crooked. Since it's completely numb, I would be a little worried you have damaged it quite a bit. Hopefully, it's just from the swelling.

The pain shooting up your leg could've been a nerve getting hit hard (or a bone breaking), but the nausea is what happened to a friend of mine who broke his foot. He said he knew he broke it when he felt like throwing up.

http://my.webmd.com/hw/foot_problems/tp21132.asp

mmm... pancakes

light and fluffy
Registered
Reaction score
I have.

When I was about seven I was playing one-on-one soccer with a friend. The ball was a pillow. I was attempting a deft maneouvre involving a chip with the outside of my foot and a run down the sideline (next to the dining table).

My friend was envisioning a goal. He reared back and kicked hard the pillow... at the same time I was doing my 'chip, run, score' thing. The ball of his big toe joint impacted one side of the pillow as the outside of my right foot impacted the other. The result was just like him kicking my little toe as hard as he could. It broke.

But we didn't know until we got it x-rayed a week later. I'm just so tough, I guess. Either that or it was a gentle break. I do remember a lot of hopping and tears.

I think the worst thing I ever did was a rolled ankle playing squash. Now THAT hurt, and turned all sorts of amusing colours.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never broken a toe but I've dropped things on my toes quite a bit. That sure hurts. Have you ever have an ingrown toenail? That hurts like crazy.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Gehanna said:
The third toe of my left foot got crunched something awful.
I've broken a toe three different times. The one you broke, well there's not much to do for it but wait. You can get an x-ray (I always did), but it won't matter. Ice it good and STAY OFF IT! If you have to walk, get crutches...it's annoying, but the pain will stop quicker if you do this. You can splint it if you can manage it, but it probably won't matter, unless the break has your toe at a right angle with the bone protruding (in which case, you might consider a hospital...).

Rob :)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I broke my little toe when I was about 10. I was at camp, running around on the hard wood floor and stubbed it good on my friend's shoe. Little toe, BIG pain. My 5'2" counselor carried me all the way down to the dining hall on piggyback; it swelled up and turned an interesting assortment of reds and blues. I'd just learned to go off the highdive, so continued despite the pain; learned how to walk on the inside of my foot that summer. No cast was necessary, and I ditched the crutches after about a day, when the novelty wore off.

Hope yours feels better soon!

Fractured_Chaos

Distra-- Ooh! Shiny!
Registered
Reaction score
I never did adjust to the fact that I have big feet. I was carrying my newborn (1st) daughter to bed one night, stumbled and slammed my pinky toe into the doorjam. Oh, yes. It was most definately broken. It hung at an odd angle, and half my foot was black the next morning.

Fast forward 12 years, living in the country, same daughter, seriously into bird rescue. Driving down a country road toward home with a load of groceries. Said daughter freaks, I slam on the brakes, she goes jumping out of the car, and I'm hot-footing it behind her (she saw a hawk that was "struggling"). At one point, as I'm coming up behind her, I trip over...my shadow.

I hear, and feel a nice loud SNAP. Fortunately it was the left ankle, not the right, so I could still drive. Barely. Yes, I -broke- my ankle tripping over my own shadow. That's pathetic.

And the hawk flew off. He was wrestling with his dinner. >.<

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Where is brokenfinger when we need him?

(I've never broken anything until I broke my hand snow-skiing 3 years ago. It wasn't really painful, but I didn't know it was broken until a few weeks later -- it wasn't really that swollen... so it didn't heal well at first. It took over 4 months to heal that damn hand.)

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I think it is critical to keep it straight. As you age (Yuk! I hate that statement)
it will hurt and give you trouble unless you wear flip-flops all the time.
I jumped out of a tree backwards as a kid, story of my life. There was a mattress there and I missed it! Anyway I sprained my ankle. The colors were the best part of it. That and the sympathy. Except for one well meaning neighbor who made a wrap for it with bacon grease.
That's my story.
Paint

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
If I may interject at this point (I'm not BF, but I promise I'll do my best). Since it's your third toe there isn't anything that the doctor can do about it except say "boy, I bet that does hurt" then tell you to go home keep your weight off of it, ice it at only 30min intervals (meaning only have the ice pack on for 30 minutes then take it off) x 4-5 times a day. If it has been a few days and it is still swollen let it soak while you take a bath to help new circulation come to the toe. If it appears crooked you can try splinting it to the 2nd and 4th toe with medical tape but you will find that a bit uncomfy and will make it more difficult to walk. Whenever you are laying down put that foot up on 2 pillows (again, to promote healing by circulating good blood to replace the edema and damaged collarteral blood in area.) Other than that anyone you encounter be sure and show them the damaged foot and encourage all the sympathy forth coming. As long as possible use it for an excuse to make hubby do anything you don't want to (honey, I'd be happy to do it...but my foot hurts so badly....see my toe is still really black and blue....standing to wash dishes would make it really worse, you don't want me to have have an amputation do you??) You won't have to have your toe amputated of course but just depends on the guilt factor you need to motivate him.

FINALLY....whatever you do DO NOT LET YOUR HUSBAND SEE THIS POST.... and in a couple of weeks you'll be good as new.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
You might also try taping it to the toe next to it. Or get one of those little finger spints and slip it on. Everyone else it correct, the doc won't do a thing unless the fracture is displaced (it's not in line with the rest of the bone).

RICE, baby - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. You can skip the compression, but keep it up. And nothing but hard soled, flat shoes for a while - no sneakers!

Can you tell I used to be in healthcare?? LOL Years of experience as an EMT and an Athletic Trainer.

And I've heard that snap before (whoever broke their ankle) ... when I slipped on the ice in January. Exept it was my leg, right below the knee. Ouch.

mdmkay

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mdmkay.blogspot.com
The colors were the best part of it. That and the sympathy. Except for one well meaning neighbor who made a wrap for it with bacon grease.
That's my story.

Hmmmmmm bacon grease ya say???? Nice thought I guess. If you had a bad splinter you couldn't get out...actually a piece of bacon can make a decent plaster to draw it out but bacon GREASE...........ucky

Deleted member 42

I've broken several toes several times; I have no depth perception, and we had Dales horses <g>

There's not a lot the doctor can do; it's worth going to see one in case there are splinters of bone (this happened to one of mine once) that could be nasty later.

Ice, and stay off it, and keep it propped so other people don't step on it. . . .

TheNightTerror

Registered
Reaction score
Way out in the boonies, in British Columbia, Canad
Website
tnt.freylia.net
I don't know if I ever actually broke my toe, but if I didn't, I came close. I was hungry, and paused a movie I was watching to quickly run and get some food. The VCR only paused for 5 minutes, so if I was going to make something to eat, I had to move.

When I ran by the couch, only 4/5 toes cleared it. Baby toe got hooked. I hit it hard enough that I fell over, and I was kicking and screaming on the floor for long enough that my mom actually came to check on me and see what I was screaming about, and the tape started playing. Couldn't so much as let a blanket touch it when I was sleeping that night without it hurting like hell.

I just stayed off it, it got better fairly fast. :) That's mainly why I don't think I broke it, I probably just . . . did . . . something. :tongue

oswann

Grumpy
Registered
Reaction score
In some smarty pants place like everyone else writ
Strange thread, but yes, I broke my second toe about ten years ago and it hurt like hell and looked like a small salami. The doctor said more or less,

'Wow looks like it hurts like hell and it bears a close resemblance to a small salami.'
'Thanks Doc.'
'No problem, give me forty bucks.'
'Yeah right.'
'No, I'm serious.'

Os.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Hahaha!! Oswann, I don't mean to laugh but I couldn't help it.... Oh man! now I'm paranoid.

When I was a little girl, I laughed at the boy who lived next door to me because I could ride a bike and he couldn't. Immediately after that, I wrecked on my bike and busted my nose and my mouth! Blood was running all over the place. It isn't good for me to laugh at people for certain things.

This is yet another example of proof that for whatever reason I get immediate Karmic results that end up teaching me BIG lessons. Either that or I'm cursed.

:flag:

Gehanna

bluwinteryfox

fun's my middle name
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Gehanna said:
My husband reminds me, very often, that I am dangerous to my own health. So I'm a klutz. I guess there are worse things to be.Gehanna
We sound a lot alike. I've broken the same toe two times, and one of the other foot once. The first time I broke toe one I hit the bed. I heard the crack and my husband heard me cuss. We taped it and iced it. Up a few years. We had a cement block on the back porch. I was carrying a some toys for my son to play with and some nitwit moved the cement block, my toe found it. This time I heard no crack, I was smart enough to watch my mouth innocence ears were around. But I felt like throwing up, again. So I tried to wrap it and iced it. My husband laughed as he was taping it that evening. Ahead several more years. Toe number one again found the bed.

I've also given myself a concussion by hitting the botton of a glass door of our entertainment center and the botton of the freezer door.

Klutzes unite!

Nivvie

Rejections, She Wrote.
Registered
Reaction score
drgnlvr said:
Yes, this comes from the person who cannot walk and chew gum at the same time.

:ROFL:

Please tell me your car is distraction free, and that everyone knows better than to talk to you while you're chopping with sharp knives!

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I inherited being a klutz from my father who is absolutely the most accident prone person I've ever known.

Renee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneebagley.com
I've broke a finger..

I've never broken a toe, but I did have a broke index finger (on the right hand.)

I was closing my car door and at the time had a lot on my mind. So I shut the door with my left hand without thinking. I literally slammed it (too hard) and closed it on my hand. I had to open the door w/ my left hand to release the right hand. That was the worse pain I had ever experienced. It throbbed and hurt like hell and since I wasn't sure if it was broken, but should have known since I was in excruiciating pain all day & night and had to keep my arm above my head to bare the pain. Normally I can take a bit of pain - more than most - so I should have known right away it was broke.

X-Rays said my finger was broke in three spots.

Last edited: