Lemon Bars and Condensed Milk

Deleted member 42

I love love love those lemon bars with either a graham cracker/hazelnut/almond/pastry layer on the bottom, and sweet-tart lemon filling.

I'm writing a blog post about them. My problem is that all the recipes I'm finding call for either gelatin or sweetened condensed milk

I loathe sweetened condensed milk, and I screw up recipes with gelatin used as a thickener.

Three questions:

1. Got a favorite lemon bar recipe? Send /post link to your recipe and I'll link to it in my post.

2. Am I alone in loathing sweetened condensed milk? I can always tasted the milk.

3. I'm seriously wondering about making a pastry base like a tart base, and using lemon curd.

In case anyone wonders my absolute favorite lemon bars are available at the brunches at Duke's Malibu in Santa Monica, CA. They are made by an outside baker, and I've never been able to find who. The lemon filling/topping is what makes them.

ETA: I'm mostly at this point looking at recipes that start with "1/2 pound of butter" and thinking that's the way to go.

I'm goin' to hell for that, aren't I? But take a look:
http://southernfood.about.com/od/browniesbars/r/bl00430d.htm
and
http://smittenkitchen.com/2008/01/lemon-bars/

Those are both basically lemon curd on pastry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I adore lemon bars. Funny, I've never come across a recipe that called for sweetened condensed milk or gelatin. I haven't made this particular recipe yet, but I've cooked enough recipes by Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) to trust that it will likely be excellent. Yes, it starts with 1/2 pound butter. :D If you make these, let me know how they turn out!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lemon-bars-recipe/index.html

ETA: oh, and you're not alone in not liking sweetened condensed milk. I can tolerate it in a key lime pie, but that's about it.

Another ETA: D'oh! I should have checked your second link! It's a duplicate of the recipe I linked to. So it must be good, right? ;) I saw one of the comments suggested putting in the teeniest bit of almond extract. I'd recommend that -- almond extract seems to make fruit desserts sing.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I hate condensed milk as well. When I was in Key West, I was on a mission to find the best Key Lime Pie. Every restaurant we ate at, I ordered the pie and not once was I thrilled - every single blessed piece was made with condensed milk. Blech. I couldn't find one that would top the recipe I use - from Martha Stewart - a real lime curd mixed with whipping cream. Simply unbeatable.

As for lemon bars I'm on a mission to find the best one as well. I've gone thru several from epicurious (none of which use condensed milk) which were good, but I think that there is a more perfect one out there. This one from all recipes looks very promising and is next on my list to try.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Lemon-Bars/Detail.aspx

Deleted member 42

II couldn't find one that would top the recipe I use - from Martha Stewart - a real lime curd mixed with whipping cream. Simply unbeatable.

Exactly. I'm on the same boat with key lime pie, too.

As for lemon bars I'm on a mission to find the best one as well. I've gone thru several from epicurious (none of which use condensed milk) which were good, but I think that there is a more perfect one out there. This one from all recipes looks very promising and is next on my list to try.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Lemon-Bars/Detail.aspx

Right now, I'm sort of looking at this one, which uses Meyers lemons--they can be hard to find outside of Southern California--but we've seen them at a local market here in Washington state.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That one sounds good!

I think we can only get the regular lemons here but I think they'd work. Let us know if it turns out and if so I will give it a go as well.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Any recipe that starts with a half a pound of real butter is likely to be good.

Just sayin'. This is a cook with her priorities straight.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Right now, I'm sort of looking at this one, which uses Meyers lemons--they can be hard to find outside of Southern California--but we've seen them at a local market here in Washington state.
My girlfriend in SF has a good sized Meyer lemon tree in her back yard. We have more lemons than we know what to do with.

Deleted member 42

My girlfriend in SF has a good sized Meyer lemon tree in her back yard. We have more lemons than we know what to do with.

Oh lord. Wish I had a tree here. I will eventually try planting one, if I can figure out how to manage the problem of Winter and Cold.

Here are two ideas; red potatoes with lemons. It sounds odd, but it's good.

And Shaker Lemon Pie

And make lemon curd for Christmas presents.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have made that Shaker Lemon Pie and it is marvelous. A mandolin is great for getting thin slices.

MM

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm buying a dwarf Meyer lemon tree this weekend. I plan to bring it inside during the cold months. I can't wait!

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The only treat I use sweet and condensed in is my sinful cream carmels. They're better than anything you'll find anywhere and work well in anything that needs caramel even caramel topping for icecream, you just don't cook it as long.

Anyway, back to the original topic. I love lemon bars. I hate lemon bars made with sweetened condensed milk, it gives it a nasty after flavor.

Also I've had to cut way back on sugar because I get migraines from it and lemon bars is one dessert I have been mourning. So I'm going to try this recipe:

http://www.foodfit.com/cooking/archive/recipeMakeover_lemonbars.asp

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com

Since I couldn't get them 365 days a year, I used to juice them, in season, and freeze the juice for the months we were 'lemon-less'.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I found this in Peg Bracken's The Compleat I Hate to Cook Book. (I love old cookbooks.) It's listed as a good all-purpose lemon filling for any type of baked good; bake 15 min at 375F after putting it into whatever shell or base or whatever you're using. I imagine if it isn't stiff enough you could add a little cornstarch, or maybe beat the eggs a bit more.

6 lemons
1/2 cup butter
3 cups granulated sugar
6 eggs, beaten (lightly)

Juice the lemons and zest 3 of the rinds. Mix.

Melt the butter in the top of a double boiler; stir in lemon mix and sugar. When all dissolved, stir in the beaten eggs and cook over simmering water (don't let the water boil). When it's as thick as thick syrup, cool it and refrigerate it. Or bake as above. (I'd probably let it cool a bit first.)

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I've never heard of condensed milk in lemon bars. Or gelatin.

The one I use is from Kitchens for Kids by Jennifer Low, but it's pretty similar to what my mom used to make (omg, a recipe of my mom's that I like!!)

Shortbread crust with a lemon and yolk mixture baked on top. Edge pieces are the best because they get all caramelized and super sweet.