So what's for dinner?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What my mother would have called boo-fay (buffet). Assorted leftovers: vegetable beef soup from Sat, fritatta from Sun, and chicken fajitas from yesterday.

MM

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
I had one of those letters from Boris telling me I am in a high risk category and to stay the hell home. Consequently, I'm steadily emptying my canned goods cupboard.

Am now out of tuna.

i was hungry, but maybe that whole tin of prunes was unwise.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I had one of those letters from Boris telling me I am in a high risk category and to stay the hell home. Consequently, I'm steadily emptying my canned goods cupboard.

Am now out of tuna.

i was hungry, but maybe that whole tin of prunes was unwise.

LOL! I only hope that you don't have a TP shortage because then there may be an issue.

As for my dinner.

For the last three years my New Year's resolution was to eat what was in my chest freezer before buying anything else to stuff in there. Well that resolution never lasted - until Coronavirus season. I was rummaging around and found a pork roast that had been in there since 2017 - it looked fine so I cooked it with some onion soup mix, chopped fresh rosemary, garlic and pepper. It turned out great and I was able to assemble a "shepherd's pie" with some of the left over meat and gravy, added some veggies and then put left over potatoes on top for dinner tonight. There is still enough meat left for sandwiches for a few days.

BlackMoth

Professional Worrier
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight it was fettuccine with my homemade tomato sauce. I roasted the tomatoes in the oven this time and they were delicious! Yesterday I made chicken tacos and bananas in caramel over cookies and whipped cream :)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Cauliflower chickpea masala last night, also tonight. I didn't have any garlic this time, which is almost unthinkable, but threw in some nutmeg, lemongrass paste, and grated up an apple I had lying around.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
The other day we had pinto beans and corn bread. Usually we use the second half of the pinto beans to make chili, but this time we just ate more beans.

Last night was fajitas. We had to use up those peppers before they went bad.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Happy Mother's Day everyone. Tonight's menu is seasoned chicken thighs, tomato risotto, salad and chocolate cupcakes. All courtesy of my daughter.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I found a couple of forgotten bottles of Mexican Coca Cola in the back of my fridge, so tonight I'm making Coca Cola chicken. Braise those thighs with onion, slices lemon, & real Coke, & a kitchen miracle happens.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yesterday, we did pasta w/lentils & marinara. Tonight, it's fried fish (NOT homemade) and baked potatoes.

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
As further evidence I am a rubbish cook, I bought baby spuds and managed to over cook them! I was muttering disgustedly about this to my brother, the chef. Chef said squish spuds, fry up an onion and bung in oven for 30 mins.

I had some lardons and a yellow pepper that would otherwise waste so they went in with the onion, along with a little fresh rosemary. Also had some british pork sausages that I gently fried and then finished off in the oven on top of the spud and onion mix. Blimey. Half decent.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds good to me.

We're doing "let's pretend we're at the deli night" so we're having Reubens, potato salad, and dill spears. (Truth is—shhh, don't tell—I'm feeling a bit off and more than than a bit lazy, so . . .)

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
*I get such good change-of-pace ideas from this thread.*

Tonight, we had sausage links and roasted red potatoes w/ red peppers—all cooked together in the air fryer.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first attempt at Thai came out really good: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241475/thai-pineapple-shrimp-curry/

A mix-up at the grocery store resulted in one can of light and one can of regular coconut milk for just the perfect creaminess. I'm also surprised at how much sugar 5 tablespoons turned out to be (1/3 cup!). Less could be used.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Last night was grilled chicken and lamb tagine on the grill so that we could do leftovers for a few days. Also a nectarine cobbler with home-grown nectarines and a coconut flour topper, baked on the grill. It was a 'lets grill a bunch of stuff' night.

Tonight are leftovers of various sorts. I'm having grilled chicken breast, diced and tossed into sautéed onion and cabbage from the garden. I usually toss in a mess of mustard seeds, a little garlic, tonight I threw in some chopped mushroom too. Sort of hodge podge but all allowed foodstuffs on my current dietary restrictions.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I had left over roast chicken so chopped it up and made quesadillas - an easy and crowd pleasing meal.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Yesterday was steak & corn w/ramp butter and watermelon.

Tonight is mapo tofu (w/shitake instead of pork).

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
Today, the mister and I are celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary. Since we're social-distancing from everyone else, I told him to pick what he'd like to have for dinner (my anniversary celebration dinner is always the night before and that's when we usually go out). Anyway, he chose pot roast, which he sez I don't make often enough. I don't know why he says that; I've made it at least 5 times in the past 39 years. (Some people are just never satisfied.)

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today, the mister and I are celebrating our 39th wedding anniversary. Since we're social-distancing from everyone else, I told him to pick what he'd like to have for dinner (my anniversary celebration dinner is always the night before and that's when we usually go out). Anyway, he chose pot roast, which he sez I don't make often enough. I don't know why he says that; I've made it at least 5 times in the past 39 years. (Some people are just never satisfied.)

LOL. Tomorrow is our 48th anniversary. We are also having pot roast. We are having our groceries delivered and I couldn't get a rib roast, but I did get a top round roast that was flat. I was afraid it would be tough if I roasted it, so pot roast it is. I'm still doing baked potatoes though.

Congratulations!
Stay safe, stay strong

MM

Ari Meermans

Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Tomorrow is our 48th anniversary. We are also having pot roast. We are having our groceries delivered and I couldn't get a rib roast, but I did get a top round roast that was flat. I was afraid it would be tough if I roasted it, so pot roast it is. I'm still doing baked potatoes though.

Congratulations!
Stay safe, stay strong

MM

Thank you. And congratulations to you, too! :partyguy: