So what's for dinner?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
It's my birthday today, so in a bit we're heading to a new Chinese restaurant for xiao long bao/soup dumplings and other tasty treats!

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
So, besides the xiao long bao, we had smashed cucumbers with garlic, Shanghai pan fried noodles and spicy duck neck. Right now, we're having leftover almond-butter cake with chocolate ganache.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I had grand plans of using some leftover chicken to make stir fry, but then I counted the days that the chicken has been in the fridge. Plan B - Kraft Dinner with wieners.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
I was planning on spaghetti, jar sauce and two frozen meatballs but then I discovered that the parmesan cheese is moldy. 16 mile drive to the grocery-- went yesterday so no way and Monterrey Jack on pasta--even with bottled sauce--is too barbarian even for me. Right now it looks like a choice between meatballs and mashed potatoes or Ragu over rice w/ meatballs. --s6

Criccieth

Registered
Reaction score
Mince stew. As in: minced beef; onions; celery; leek; carrot; potato; chopped sundried toms and green beans in stock mixed with a bit of good tomato puree. I didn't have any red wine to throw in but at least there were mixed herbs in the cupboard. Nice and quick - once it's brought to boil on the hob, stick it in the oven for 40 min and done.

With 4 kids and almost every evening booked up, I favour quick-and-simple-if-boring food :) the time for delicate or complex cooking will come ;-)

brasiliareview

author of Sweet Bread
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brasiliareview.org
Coconut milk, green curry paste, sweet potatos, carrots, homegrown green onions, garlic, salt, and now I realize there's no limes in the house so I gotta go out.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Clearing out the freezer today-- found a nice steak that had been lurking in the frozen vegetable bin. Salad with pomegranate garnish. Working outside this p.m., clearing off flower beds, so I may add a handful of baked French fries if I am starving. A little cheap wine because this time change always keeps me up late. --s6

Last edited:

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Went out for tapas to a newish place that's definitely getting my return business. We had 4 dishes: a flatbread with beets, avocado & olive oil, tuna ceviche with diced mango, cilantro, jalapeño & lime (very pretty presentation in a martini glass with long slices of crisp fried plantain as garnish), shrimp in yummy garlic sauce, and dates stuffed with goat cheese, wrapped in bacon, drizzled with orange-ginger sauce, on a stick. When we were ordering, we anticipated maybe adding another dish later, or possibly dessert. Turns out the dates WERE dessert, for us at least. And the sangria was potent. They have an attractive patio for nice weather. I plan to use it, when it finally stops snowing

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Freezer roulette...

I must have thought it was worth keeping when I put it in there (c:

(turned out to be a very tasty and very spicy lentil curry)

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
An average veal Marsala and an overly burnt creme brulee for dessert. :-/

My mother-in-law treated us to dinner last night at one of her favorite restaurants. Great scenery, it's been around for 90 years -- but the food is just eh.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
And tonight was moo yang, a lovely grilled pork dish with sticky rice at one of our local Thai places.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Marinated lamb kebabs with grilled vegetables, mashed potatoes, steamed peas and sugar snap peas, pita bread, and Richard made a blueberry poppyseed cake with homemade strawberry-raspberry jam on top.

We're having guests. :greenie

Fencer_24

Registered
Reaction score
Homemade "cheese bombs" (take a cube of cheese, wrap in burger-type sheet cheese, put in flour, egg yolk, bread crumbs twice, fry) and beef with local cider.

It isn't the best thing for one's arteries, but come on, I've been eating chicken breasts, soup and vegetables for the last 8 days.