So what's for dinner?

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Today is National Cheese Day. A fact I found out only after we decided to have baked potatoes with cheddar cheese.

It's also national Cognac Day. So maybe fondue is in order.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Tried a new recipe for vegetable glop (zucchini, red bell peppers, carrot, 3 kinds of beans, tomatoes, oregano) over couscous. It was surprisingly tasty.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I made Ina Garten's Orzo with Roasted Vegetables Salad and chicken. I love a pasta or grain salad in the summer and if you haven't tried this recipe I really recommend it, it would be great to take to a potluck since it can be eaten at room temp.

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/orzo-with-roasted-vegetables-1

The only thing I did differently was I cooked the orzo in chicken stock, left out the pine nuts, and added some lemon rind to the dressing. In addition to the vegetables Ina used, I added mushrooms and chopped baby carrots. Also, next time I do it, I will put the egg plant and garlic in about half way thru the cooking time.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
A ground lamb concoction (lamb, onion, diced tomatoes, garlic, marjoram, allspice, clove, cinnamon, pine nuts) served over rice, sprinkled generously with feta, with Greek-style pita, hummus, and tabbouleh on the side... made my mouth water just typing that!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pulled chicken with BBQ sauce on a whole grain bun, with store bought cole slaw.

MM

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Smoky black bean burgers, corn on the cob, fresh English peas, steamed broccoli.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A paella, with local ling cod and shrimp, snow peas and swiss chard and cilantro and chervil from my garden, and a bell pepper and two tomatillos and several green onions from the grocery store. Should be done any minute now.

caw

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Tacos, my life's great passion. I ate myself sick, even had to throw out one (there was too much hot sauce on it, so the dog & GF didn't want it). I do black beans and Zatarain's Spanish rice, an avocado, cheese and sour cream, plus salsa and aforementioned hot sauce. Really good veggie taco, I've been toying with other recipes but this is my fav.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yum!

I'm a heat it up and eat it kind of gal.

Here's my new recipe: Take a portobello mushroom (one per person, they make a whole meal). I didn't bother to cut the stem out, but you can. Roast it stem side down at 450 F for 10 minutes. Take it out of the oven, turn it over and stuff the top with tuna that you have already mixed with mayo for sandwiches. You don't need a thick layer. Top that with a slice of cheese (I used mild cheddar). I wrapped it loosely in foil but I don't think you need to. I kept the foil off the cheese. Bake it for another 10 minutes.

Eat with a knife and fork. Be ready for a plate full of mushroom juice to spill out when you cut into each bite. I saved that for my dogs. My dogs love me. :)

I'm stuffed. It was so tasty. Some of you might want a half per person.

Yum! And very economical, especially for such an exotic looking dish.

Last edited:

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
We've had a break in the extreme heat so yesterday I decided to turn on my oven. We hadn't had pasta (other than salad) for a while so I decided that was in order. I had bought some ricotta and spinach stuffed raviolis a few days ago in anticipation of the cooler weather and after looking in my freezer, I discovered meatballs that had to go. Inspiration struck - which resulted in "Ravioli Lasagne with Meatballs." It was a huge hit with the family and so much easier than regular lasagne. I just cooked the ravioli to the package specifications, and layered the pasta with sauce in a baking dish, topped the whole shebang with meatballs (and fresh basil) then topped that with mozza and baked. Delish! Of course it is hard to go wrong with pasta and cheese.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Last night was Smothered Pork Chops - Cauliflower Rice - Green Beans

Tonight? - BBQ Chicken & Succotash

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Last night was chicken parmesan. Marinara was entirely garden harvested tomatoes, San Marzanos and sweet million cherries.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Garden marinara - yum! But Sweet million tomatoes - I'm jealous. I couldn't find the plants here this year so had to settle on Sweet 100's. They are good but they are too big imo - I like my cherry tomatoes to be small. I also forgot that I had planted yellow cherry tomatoes and I've been wondering why they hadn't been turning red. Doh. They are quite delicious and sweet as well.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The hubs is out of town for the weekend, which means I'll be indulging myself in foods he doesn't like. Tonight was a tomato sandwich on rosemary bread, with just a swipe of mayo, salt and pepper. And a big glass of pinot noir. I'm looking forward to more of that rosemary bread for breakfast tomorrow, buttered and toasted.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
Going nuts trying to eat up all the summer food. Walked home from the farmer's market with a spaghetti squash, half a dozen fresh peaches and a jar of jalapeno butter, yesterday evening. Forgot about the chub of thawed hamburger and basket of tomatoes and onions in my own kitchen. Melons and watermelon don't even make the market. People put them on unattended folding tables in front of their houses with a jar of change--you pick your melon and pay on the honor system. I was going to walk to the library and pick up a melon on the way but this morning I made ice cream to go with the peaches. Watermelon and ice cream doesn't so good, so no watermelon. Still, I have to have at least one more watermelon before the season is over.

Lunch was a ham and tomato sandwich. Thinking hamburger and peach ice cream tonight. Still can't figure how to fit in the jalapeno butter--s6

Last edited:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spaghetti squash tossed with jalapeno butter sounds like a little piece of heaven to me.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
had a hamburger topped with an entire fresh tomato and ice cream with peaches. It will be the same for Sat & Sunday night and then the spaghetti squash for Monday. Since the jalapeno butter is canned it can wait a while. The folks who were selling it at the Farmer's Market had it mixed with cream cheese as a dip. Think I may save that for Labor Day weekend when the kids will be here. Everything is so fresh and good this time of year. Hard to decide and so easy to let stuff go bad--s6