So what's for dinner?

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've got lots of eggs right now. I have potatoes. I have a package of very good Lincolnshire sausages that need to be used. So sometime before dinner-making time tonight I have to decide: bangers and mash? Or toad in the hole? It's a difficult choice. Fortunately there's no wrong answer.

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
2 cups of spinach is absolutely not enough. I used a whole bag tonight and it wasn't enough.

It's always astonishing how a huge bag of raw spinach reduces to a few spoonfuls after cooking.

My dinner tonight will be chili. I made a big pot of it on Monday; it's dinner all week! Good thing I like my own chili...

PiaSophia

Balkan writer of feminist horror stories
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pia-sophia.com
It's always astonishing how a huge bag of raw spinach reduces to a few spoonfuls after cooking.

My dinner tonight will be chili. I made a big pot of it on Monday; it's dinner all week! Good thing I like my own chili...

Right! That's why I like to cook it just for a little bit, so it doesn't reduce to only a crumble when my dish is finished. Raw spinach is actually really nice, too.
Also: I'm in the mood for chili now. Thanks for the inspo!

I made lentil soup 3 days ago, and we'll be able to eat of it tonight as well. Maybe make something else to go with it, probably a little pasta.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Baked beans and smoked sausage.

We've got an inch of snow on the ground and it looks like it's staying - making baked beans seemed like a nice warming activity. They turned out very tasty, only it's impossible to make a small pot of baked beans. Friends, relatives and neighbours will be eating beans this weekend I think.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
makin kielbasa and hocks in sauerkraut today, I need to burn up some kraut and make a new batch. added a few juniper berries to the crock.

Not for dinner NOW, but currently curing a pork belly, 4 lbs cut and cured to smoke Friday as Sichuan bacon and 6 left to cure an additional week, then rinse, re-spice, and dry cure for pancetta. The only regrets I have is A) this is just "store pork" (had a $10 off a meat purchase" Costco coupon) and B) only one pork belly to cure.... I want to get and butcher an actual heritage pig, grown well, and do some other stuff this year:

more pancetta
salt pork
guanciale (jowl without question kicks belly's ass)
salami, pepperoni, and chorizo
LARDO (for the love of all things holy, I want to do lardo again)
more bacons

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Italian sausage, bell peppers, and onion sandwiches. Just like I used to get up in NY when I was a kid. :)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted something different. Breakfast for dinner. Microwaved pancakes. Not the best, but good enough.

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
A beef empanada, pupusita w/pernil, chicharrones w/lime and a poorly mixed, too strong pina colada.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes a poorly mixed, too strong pina colada is just what the day calls for. <g>

Our new pup has me worn out, so tonight the spouse is doing air fryer hot dogs and I made a Tzatziki pasta salad to go with. 'Cause it's Friday and all that jazz.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tonight will just be homemade whole wheat bread with cheeses. Tomorrow will be the Big Holiday Feast for us.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was a weird Thanksgiving. Since 1974 I have hosted my assorted relatives/strays all but 3 years. Even in those years I was with some family. This year, because of reasons, I did not host. Hubby and I had reservations at a nice white tablecloth restaurant for a festive meal. Early in the week the forecast was for winter storm Ezekial to hit us hard starting Thursday morning, so we cancelled. We stayed home, just the two of us, and had red chile chicken burros with refried beans. It was Ok, but I missed my relatives, I missed the turkey and trimmings, and was pretty bummed all day. And the storm didn't hit until the middle of the night. I haz a sad :cry:.

MM

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc... (leftovers)
For lunch: turkey sandwich
For breakfast: turkey omelet
Turkey, turkey, turkey, turkey...!!!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the Southern hemisphere (it's 26 C/90 F) here, and we don't do Turkey Day. We took lunch to the house of some friends today -- and I like them not just because they own a BBQ and I don't :D

Rump steak, marinated overnight in red wine, garlic, and mustard, thrown on the grill.
Home-kill sausages, thrown on the grill.
Prawns (shrimp), marinated for a few hours in a tandoori paste (lemon juice, yoghurt, ginger, garlic, coriander, cumin, paprika), thrown on the grill.
Twice baked potatoes (baked in the microwave, halved, scooped out, mashed with sour cream + butter + snipped chives + grated cheddar + salt + egg + paprika, then the shells filled and baked again in the oven).
Layered veg salad (spinach, sliced red onion, feta with grated black pepper, roasted/caramelised butternut squash/pumpkin cubes with basil oil and balsamic vinegar, shredded mint, slivered pistachios).
Duck egg sponge cake with berries, whipped cream, and chocolate ganache.

It was a hit. All of it :D

For dinner at home tonight....nah, we're still stuffed. A glass of wine, skip the loaf of bread, and thou.

But as an ex-Yank, I do miss turkey. It's just simply not available here. At Xmas you can find frozen turkeys in the grocery store, but an average turkey (12 lbs? 5 kgs? dunno) costs nearly a hundred dollars, so I have never even tried. And wild turkey is just not the same, though I don't say no when someone offers me one.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Thanksgiving leftovers were depleted yesterday (only got a turkey breast).

Tonight, I'm leaning towards pizza (pun not intended for the Tower of Pisa).

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
On my way home from Thanksgiving at my brother's (we had chicken instead of turkey this year which everyone agreed is a better bird) I stopped in Edison NJ for takeout at Harold's New York Deli. I brought home 1 corned beef sandwich, 1 order of matzo ball soup, 1 order of boiled kreplach, and 1 slice of cheesecake -- and that will feed me for most of this week! I've already had 2 dinners and a lunch out of it and barely made a dent. (For scale... the matzo ball is the size of a baby's head, the soup comes in a bucket, the slice of cheesecake would be a generous dessert for 4 or 5, and they send half a loaf of pretty good rye bread home with the sandwich to turn the mountain of meat into normal-sized sandwiches.) Mmmmm.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken Hurry (skinless chicken pieces, ketchup, brown sugar, packet of onion soup mix) which is always served to great enthusiasm, but the star of the show was the chocolate cake for dessert. I had a jar of Hellman's mayo in the fridge that was annoying me - the jar was big and round and it took up way too much room, so I got my daughter to make the Hellman's Mayonnaise cake. She was fairly horrified that mayo went into cake and was adamant that she wasn't going to eat it - hah! We did share with grandparents but the rest only lasted a day.

Next week I'll get her to make the Tomato Soup Cake of my childhood. Minds will be blown yet again.

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Overate last night with pizza & cupcakes and seis leches cake for breakfast and pork belly for lunch (also, got to try beef lung with chili oil at this nice Chinese restaurant)