So what's for dinner?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Benbenberi: when I was a teen, I had something called "seafood newberg" at a restaurant in Galena, Illinois, of all places for seafood. Loved it! It took over 35 years for me of think of Googling it. A-maz-ing. Just don't tell my cardiologist.

As much as I love Ethiopian food, I never ventured to make it at home until tonight. This weekend I got a jar of berbere spice and made lentil and potato stew. Quite good! I thought most of the savory flavor variety of the berbere cooked out, but it had just the right amount of fire and the flavor got better as it cooled. I'm not brave enough to try to cook the enjera bread, so it went really well on basmati rice.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was pizza delivery. Today we're getting a catering tray of ravioli from a local Italian restaurant which will last us at least four days.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Pork schnitzel, corn on the cob, my own (only!) tomato. Blueberry clafoutis for dessert if I get around to making it.

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
Pizza tonight. Yesterday I made incredibly cheesy biscuits. I think I've finally figured out how much cheese is enough.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Leftovers from big Italian restaurant lunch.

And Spouse’s birthday cake. 👍

M.S. Wiggins

"The Moving Finger writes..."
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kale Caesar salad with anchovy-garlic-panko sprinkles (and maybe diced tomatoes).

Then a Courvoisier cream sauce w/shallots and shiitake mushrooms (reduced) ladled atop a bed of garlic-infused fettucine and finished with a grating of parmesan and finely-ish chopped curly parsley. It’s sort of a must-go ingredients WIP (sauce still simmering before rest time). If the main course turns out to be a flop, I’ll let ya know.

(But the kale Caesar salad w/anchovy-garlic-panko sprinkles I’ve made multiple times and it’s scrumdiddlyumptious.)

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
DW and I are ordering a turkey meal with some side dishes for Thankgiving — traditional ‘Merican fare like mashed potatoes, pureed butternut squash, and roasted root vegetables.

I’m hoping to avoid exhausting myself making an N-course meal this time. I’ll make a few sides, and a cake or pie.

We’ve ordered from this shop before and their fare is mostly good except... Their bread stuffing is genuinely awful. Dry, and flavorless. So I want to make a stuffing. Tonight for dinner I’m doing a dry-run of this recipe with added chorizo to jazz it up.

Oh, and the other sides we’ll make for the holiday:
  • I have a favorite recipe for “spicy corn” that has diced jalapenos and lemon juice that’s yummy
  • I have a recipe for a layered apple cake with buttercream frosting I’ve been wanting to try
  • DW wants to make dinner rolls or maybe a braided brioche if she’s wearing her fancy pants that day
  • I might steam some diced summer squash & zucchini because easy and why not

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got some lovely red bell peppers in my grocery delivery on Friday. So we are having stuffed peppers. My Mom used ground beef, but hubby is limited on ground beef, so I am using a 50/50 mix of ground chicken and ground turkey. Italian bread crumbs instead of rice. Yum.

MM

Reactions: Introversion

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Intolerance? I’ve read about that.
Nope, cholesterol. He loves beef, but we limit it to once or twice a month. We have discovered that most recipes calling for ground beef are just as tasty with the chicken/turkey mix. We're not too fond of either alone, but the 50/50 mix is quite good.

MM

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, cholesterol. He loves beef, but we limit it to once or twice a month. We have discovered that most recipes calling for ground beef are just as tasty with the chicken/turkey mix. We're not too fond of either alone, but the 50/50 mix is quite good.

MM
They say now that dietary cholesterol doesn't have much impact on blood cholesterol -- it's mostly determined genetically, not by what you eat. So you don't have to be so extremely restrictive about beef if you want to make a dish that really calls for it. Eggs are back on the menu too. Nothing in excess, of course, but eggs and beef aren't the villains we were taught to believe.

My dinner tonight will be something from my Hello Fresh box, probably Brown Sugar Bourbon Chicken Salad with kale, apple, roasted carrots, sunflower seeds, and honey dijon dressing. I get a box from HF every 2-3 weeks & I mostly enjoy the meals (and the convenience of not having to shop for them). If anybody is interested in checking it out, PM me -- I have some discount codes this week.

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
mushroom, carrot, potato, radish, seaweed, peanuts... what else should I put in the pot?

Pacific

Registered
Reaction score
this is my favorite thread, but why so deserted? People don't eat supper?

Reactions: kmarcks

Introversion

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
this is my favorite thread, but why so deserted? People don't eat supper?
Sorry, too busy eating…

Tonight I’ll make a favorite cold-weather recipe: Cinnamon beef soup.

Might sound gross, but is truly heavenly. Lots of garlic and scallions in the broth, so with the cinnamon it tastes like lightly sweetened French onion, but with added chunks of stew meat, fresh spinach wilted down, and fettucini noodles that I cook in at the end so the noodles also absorb the broth. :Chef’s kiss:

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today we're having what we just call "sauce". Crushed tomatoes, diced onion, ground meat, basil (I buy it fresh and freeze the whole thing, pull out a few leaves at a time), sliced garlic (buy a whole head, break it down into cloves, freeze and take out a few at a time). Let it simmer at least an hour, preferably 2-3. We serve with penne pasta and grated parmesan.

MM

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I guess people have forgotten this thread is here. Or else we're not cooking. Or not eating. I dunno.

Tonight I'll be making pork schnitzel, unless I decide it's too evil to make that 2 nights running and just pan fry the pork with a mustard sauce. And greens (some Chinese leafy thing that looks sort of like broccoli rabe but isn't) with garlic. And pumpkin custard (which is the same as pumpkin pie except no crust).

MistyRicardo

Registered
Reaction score
Here's one of the curries I cooked very recently. It's a Chicken Kalimirch (lots of black pepper and ginger). The recipe is from my cookbook Curry Compendium.

Chicken-Kalimirch-scaled.jpg

• Love

benbenberi

Registered
Reaction score
I made Boston Baked Beans from scratch yesterday, which will be dinner and/or lunch for most of the week. I used the recipe on Serious Eats which was super-easy. And I think the salt pork was actually mislabeled slab bacon because it was very meaty -- which is definitely a bonus. And I still had a can of good cider that went very nicely with the beans. Gonna have to buy more of that!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying some new ideas. (disclaimer: it's hot summer here)

I made pasta today. Probably not super great pasta, but pasta: just eggs, flour, a pinch of salt, and a drizzle of olive oil. (Pasta machine for the win!) I plan to boil it for 1 - 2 minutes, then top it with pesto (which I pureed this morning from a heap of fresh basil, garlic chives, walnuts, and olive oil).

Then I picked (well, thinned excess) fresh veggies while I was watering the garden.

I plan to sautee baby carrots, beans, sugar peas, snow peas and silverbeet leaves in butter, add a bit of chicken bullion and cream cheese, then top the mix with grated parmesan and lemon juice. And maybe cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar? I could add sliced mushrooms, but I had to buy those (sad SAD sad).

And that'll be dinner.

I'm too lazy to go find a leek and clean it and slice it. I'll let you know if the absence of alliums make today's veg dish less than adequate. (But if it totally sucks I've got leftover roast beef, potatoes and gravy that I can heat up in a hurry. Yay for backup plans.)

ETA: home made pasta and pesto is waaay too rich. I mean, it's good, but the veggies need to be very plain as a balance. No butter, no Parmesan, and definitely no cream cheese. Lemon juice okay, balsamic vinegar probably OTT.

Otherwise, all good.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrsmig